Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finding the 5 speed disassembly/rebuild thread

Post Thanks / Like

Finding the 5 speed disassembly/rebuild thread

I know there is a Sticky with some early 5 speed disassembly/rebuild information, but I thought I remembered a more recent one that was really well done. Can somebody point me in the right direction, please?

Post Thanks / Like
    EDIT: I just realized this is for the 818 and not the Ford T-5. My post related to the Ford 5 speed transmission.

Don't know about the thread but I bought Paul Cangialosi book on the manual transmissions which included a good section on the T-5. Make sure you get the revised edition.

Paul also did a two part video with Eric the Car Guy that was great on the T-5.
    https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

Also do a search for the T-5's manufacturers rebuild manual, it's out there for free.

Hardest part for me was sourcing the parts.

The videos were very well done. I was even able to talk to Paul Cangialosi on the phone several times, check out his web site.

Which I could do more but still in the middle of a move with no computer and files.

George
    Last edited by GWL; 01-19-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, sounds like you are thinking about tackling a transmission rebuild or at least a teardown. I have always enjoyed doing trans and diff rebuilds I find it therapeutic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Rob,

Sorry about that, I now see this is an 818 thread. I responded above relating to the Ford T-5.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still committed to the 6-speed idea. However, as I looked at pictures of the open transmissions, the piece that got punched though the case looks like a tooth from the ring gear, not from any of the other gears. If that is true (and it makes sense from where the damage is in the case) then maybe this transmission is not as trashed as I once thought. Maybe all it needs is a ring gear and a little tig work on the case. Today, I am surveying how difficult it will be to get the trans out of car...

Also, I'd like to see some pictures of what the "back" section of the transmission looks like and what happens when you take that off. As of now, most of the pics I've seen have been of the "front" section.

Post Thanks / Like
    If its the ring gear of the diff then you probably also need a new shaft with pinion gear. They are a machined as a matched set. You could of course take a gamble and only put in a new ring gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Today, I am surveying how difficult it will be to get the trans out of car...
    Taking the back bumper off the car gives you pretty good access to the transmission.
    rear.jpg

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks good, except that the wing mounts got welded into the frame...the single piece now includes the piece that runs underneath the AWIC and the other side of the coilover mounts...I'm still looking at it.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    That looks good, except that the wing mounts got welded into the frame...the single piece now includes the piece that runs underneath the AWIC and the other side of the coilover mounts...I'm still looking at it.
    Rob
    The piece your talking about is called the "Shock tower brace". 4 bolts to remove it.
    Here is a picture with it removed.

trans.jpg
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-20-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    OK...thanks. Not as bad as I thought. Thanks for the insight and the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made the wing mount totally removable. Just remove rear bumper, CV axles from trans, and unbolt and remove wing mount. Super easy.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Look for Hindsight's "Limited slip installation instructions with pics" . It goes through the 5 speed rebuild VERY thoroughly. I have a saved pdf version of the thread on my website in "My Advice" section.