Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: I Almost Gave Up

Post Thanks / Like

I Almost Gave Up

I have always been blessed with good health and I worked until I was 69 and then ran a very active golf cart business until I sold it at 75 and finally
    retired. Like many of you, I wanted and needed a retirement project and the '33 fit the bill perfectly. I've always been a car guy and I've restored a
    tractor and built a couple of Dune Buggies and a heck of a lot of custom golf carts. My best friend retired recently and between the two of us we've
    come a long way. He's an old time gearhead with a lot of knowledge.
    Our problems started when I bought a set of heads off eBay that turned out to have been milled wrong and had to be trashed. After that, it has been
    a multitude of gremlins that have invaded us and cost a lot of time and heartache. I got to the point that I thought it just wasn't worth it and I could
    be a lot happier without all the problems. I even got to the point that I told my wife I was thinking of selling my project and just do something else.
    I just don't have the energy and stamina that I once had. I can only work a very few hours at a time before I give out and have to quit.
    I was sitting in my shop the other day thinking about it and something just came over me. I want to drive this thing down the street more than anything.
    I have made up my mind I'm gonna finish this thing if it's the last thing I do. We've defeated the gremlins that were present and we're about 2 weeks
    from go cart stage and I'll be danged if I'm gonna quit now!
    I know this is a long post, but it's something that I had to say to someone as a commitment that if The Good Lord will give me time to finish this
    project, then I'm going to give it everything I've got left.
    Thanks for listening.

2. Likes FF33rod, Houdini, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you've been blessed with a strong body and a strong mind! Good for you in deciding to continue with your build and persevering through the tough spots!

Looking forward to seeing photos/videos of your go cart!

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

4. Likes Houdini liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you. Glad to hear you are sticking with it. Remember it’s supposed to be fun. If you get stuck, or frustrated, reach out for help. Probably some guys near you that are willing to give you a hand. The Traveling Builder has helped many guys get over a hump as well.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for those inspirational words! Quiting is easy, but persevering takes fortitude! Keep at it, and like Steve said, if you get stuck just reach out for help. I know if you need it, the guys near you will jump in and give you a hand.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sebournd,

You Can Do This:
    Just be patient and work on the car even if it is only a couple of hours 3 or 4 days each week.
    Life gets in the way and at 75 you know better than me since I'm 20 years your junior.
    My build is approaching 4 years, and life got in the way a few times.

1st Delay / December 2015
    Our oldest Daughter got married in December of 2015 and we wanted to give her a proper send off so all available funds went towards the wedding.
    This delayed building the engine since walking her down the aisle was way more important than my project.

2nd Delay / April 2017
    I had an accident working on my brother's Mecham Skunkworks Trans Am & severed my pinkie and damaged my ring and social finger on my primary hand.
    I couldn't hold a pencil much less a wrench so the car sat for months.

3rd Delay / September 2017
    My engine builder & former motor mentor botched my block so I had to replace it after logging nearly 100 test miles in this phase.
    I knew this man over over 30 years so the block and the relationship have since been replaced.
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

4th Delay / January thru September 2018
    Mother became ill and required 24 X 7 Care for 9 months.
    First Grandchild passed away on August 13th & Daughter nearly went with her.
    Mother passed away on September 13th and I just finished getting her estate affairs in order.

January 2019 & We Are Wrenching Once Again:
    It is now 2019 in the year of our Lord and here is where we are today:
    https://youtu.be/wOID7yvBRPU

So My Point Is That You Can Do This:
    If You Have Your Health, Stay Positive & Maybe Get A Little Help You Will One Day Be Driving A Car You Built Yourself!
    You Won't Regret It If You Complete The Build!
    You Will Regret It If You Don't!

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-19-2019 at 02:16 PM.

8. Likes AJT '33, Houdini liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 73 and am finding out car building is getting harder, start at 10 and quit at 4 and wonder why you got so little done
    wood heat takes ab out a hour to heat up shop and then I am almost ready to quite after carrying the wood in
    proabbly -10 today good day to stay in house
    I used to work day and nite on building race cars, but I guess I am not 30 year old anymore
    I was close to wondering if I should give up, but got the the front brakes and hubs on so I guess I beter give it my best try
    the last 10 year I have been repairing and rebuiloding custom cars and its getting harder to do

I guess I better get to work on Monday and get er dun, maybe next year I can do ISCA world of wheels at salt lake city, Boise
    and Portland that sure would test the old body for THE LAST HURRAH

10. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Good for you. Glad to hear you are sticking with it. Remember it’s supposed to be fun. If you get stuck, or frustrated, reach out for help. Probably some guys near you that are willing to give you a hand. The Traveling Builder has helped many guys get over a hump as well.
    -Steve
    2X this.

Better yet, do both.

Bob

12. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't speak for everyone, but I can only assume that we all have had some second thoughts about our builds at one time or another...I know that I have. Whether it be budget, time, life or ALL of these things that seem to get in the way, I think we all get challenged in someway during the build...I know it's very cliche', but if it was easy everyone would do it! Somebody told me once that opportunities are sometimes disguised as hard work and I have found this to be truer than I ever could imagine. With that being said, for me, I can't let the enjoyment of the build become a "job". When I get overwhelmed or repeatedly challenged, I have to break a way for a day or two. When I do this, I find when I return I usually am able to quickly progress through what was initially challenging me. I was also told by another builder, "try to finish something each day" and some days that may just be organizing my tools to prepare for the next days work on the car. Stay with it and giv'er h*ll, in the end it will be so rewarding!
    Last edited by JOP33; 01-21-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

14. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you for not giving up! Sometimes you just need to walk away for a bit and comeback to it. I remember starting the go cart and the clutch switch was not installed and ran right into the work bench causing a lot of damage, thanks god no one was in front of the car

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too! I actually have been building a mini street rod based off of a club car transaxle 20479658_881600341991641_4893190389788115739_n.jpg

17. Likes AJT '33, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky's View Post
    Me too! I actually have been building a mini street rod based off of a club car transaxle 20479658_881600341991641_4893190389788115739_n.jpg
    That's awesome!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

19. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awwright!!! We got it started and man does it sound great! We got the timing set, the cam run in and the carb tuned. Found out we were going to
    have to re-jet the carb, so we got the the jets ordered. Moving to the transmission now. It's a 4L60E and has to have a computer hooked to it. Got
    it figured out, just have to get it done now. Next will be the tunnel and shifter and we'll about ready to go cart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can 75 be the new 55?

Sounds Like You Are Back In Action!

Welcome Back Brother Sebournd!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-24-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually 77 now and yes I'm back on track and determined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sebournd View Post
    Awwright!!! We got it started and man does it sound great! We got the timing set, the cam run in and the carb tuned. Found out we were going to
    have to re-jet the carb, so we got the the jets ordered. Moving to the transmission now. It's a 4L60E and has to have a computer hooked to it. Got
    it figured out, just have to get it done now. Next will be the tunnel and shifter and we'll about ready to go cart.
    Awesome!

DON'T FORGET...WE ARE ALL WAITING FOR THAT FIRST GO CART VIDEO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you're sticking with it! I know that if I set my mind to do something, it will get done, and it's apparent that sentiment applies to everyone here. Thanks for sharing, Sebourned. I look forward to your go-kart video!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I will turn 70 in March. Semi-Retired working about 5-months a year abroad. For me, I cannot see as well as I used to. Should have painted my floor a solid color. Getting up and down (no Lift) is a chore. Memory is shot!?!?! Multiple trips to Hardware Store and Summit. But I try to keep a positive attitude. If I did not have the car, I would really be in worse shape. It makes me move around, use what is left of my Brains, and have contact with others to help solve my issues. I try not to set my daily goals to high. If I get 1 Brake Line run instead of the whole system, that's OK. Next one tomorrow. Some times a take a couple days off, and maybe just organize the garage. Better than going to the Senior Center and putting Puzzles together :>)
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

26. Likes FF33rod, JOP33, AJT '33, TxMike64, EZ$ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! So glad to hear this.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I finally made my gocart run and everything is looking great. I'm trying to upload my video, but can't get it to work. I choose my video and hit upload file, but nothing happens.

29. Likes peterh226 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I finally made my gocart run and everything is looking great. I'm trying to upload my video, but can't get it to work. I choose my video and hit upload file, but nothing happens.
    Sebournd,

Contact David Hodgkins who is our forum administrator.
    He may be able to help.

I Am So Glad You Didn't Give Up And Are Moving Forward!
    Congratulation!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Sebournd,

Contact David Hodgkins who is our forum administrator.
    He may be able to help.

I Am So Glad You Didn't Give Up And Are Moving Forward!
    Congratulation!

Steve
    Sebournd,

I created a free account on youtube.com and upload my videos there. Then I take the URL they provide and embed it in a post, just like an image but with a [video] tag instead of an [img] tag:

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you're sticking to it. Congrats!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up the good attitude, you can do it

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope this works.