BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Insurance and registration in Pennsylvania

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance and registration in Pennsylvania

My MK 4 Roadster will be ready for delivery in mid February. Can anyone offer any direction on insurance and the registration process in the state of Pennsylvaina?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Mid-Western Insurance who is a vender on this forum.

As for the registration process. Luckily for you PA is an easy state to get this done. There is a lot of details involved but the short of it is you will first have a safety inspection done then submit all you paperwork to the DMV. Where do you live in PA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rick,

I live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh PA. I sent Mid-west an email so hopefully i’ll hear back from them early next week.

I’m assuming i’ll need to get the VIN # from factory five once my kit is complete, then register in PA then gain the insurance??? I’m trying to make sure I have all the bases covered and don’t miss anything. Self canceling turn signals, mufflers in the side pipes, windshield whipper kit, I’m good with the bumperets and wo’t need the full bumpers, etc. I still haven’t solved the third brake light thing he.

I’ve been talking with the owner of AutoUnlimited which is close to where I live for the state inspection once the car is complete.

I certainly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, from a quick check I'm not convinced that self-cancelling turn signals and a third brake light are required by the statute. Check out the bottom of the page numbered 29 of the linked PennDOT document, subsections (e) and (f)(4), and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ons/PUB-45.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    For what it's worth, from a quick check I'm not convinced that self-cancelling turn signals and a third brake light are required by the statute. Check out the bottom of the page numbered 29 of the linked PennDOT document, subsections (e) and (f)(4), and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ons/PUB-45.pdf
    So this is where the rubber hits the road.

What is needed on your car to get past a safety inspection is dependent on the inspection station and how they (not you) interpret the requirements.

Let me give an example regarding Windshield Wipers: You can go through the headache and expense of installing wipers in your roadster if that's what you want but, permanent mount wipers are not required. At least not by the shop I used and they have done hundreds. What Dave at Bornemans Blast from the Past out of Pottstown had me do was temporarily mount a windshield mount wiper motor/blade and temporarily wire it to a switch. It doesn't say the wipers need to be a permanent fixture in the car nor does it say it needs to have a wiper on the passenger side.

As for side pipes, I needed heat shields AND PA now requires the entire pipe to be heat tape wrapped. I installed heat shields and he wrapped the pipes just for pictures. He didn't fuss about bumpers and he actuated the turn signals just to make sure they work. Third brake light was not required nor were reverse lights.

Where and who you use for the safety inspection is critical in having a smooth transition between the DMV and receiving your plates in a reasonable amount of time. The guy I used has a solid relationship with the PA DMV and submitted all my paperwork/pictures. I had my plate 3 weeks after I ran the paperwork to the local tag place.

You can handle the paperwork yourself but if you get one piece of information wrong OR fail to submit what is needed, you will wish the day you had a reputable shop do it for you.

Last,

The only thing that caught me off guard was when you go to submit your paperwork at your local tag place, you will be due the 6% sales tax on the cost of the kit.

BTW,

The day your roadster passes inspection and you can drive it home from the shop is a day you will never forget. That's the day all your hard work will sink in and give you the feeling of "this journey has been well worth it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information Jacob. I see what you mean. I’d love to hear from some other PA owners to see what they had to do to get their cars on the road.

I’ll certainly share my experience as I go through the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, thanks for the detailed info. That really, really stinks to hear about the sidepipe shields. Really takes away from the look of the car. Thanks to,for the heads up on the sales tax. I live in Allegheny County so it will be an additional 1% on top of the 6%. Bummer.

Ya, this car has been a dream of mine since I was 14 years old. I’m currently 54 years old so painting the car the traditional blue with white racing strips with the race number of “54” on all sides. Finally getting my dream car at age 54. I can’t wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcirell View Post
    Again, thanks for the detailed info. That really, really stinks to hear about the sidepipe shields. Really takes away from the look of the car. Thanks to,for the heads up on the sales tax. I live in Allegheny County so it will be an additional 1% on top of the 6%. Bummer.

Ya, this car has been a dream of mine since I was 14 years old. I’m currently 54 years old so painting the car the traditional blue with white racing strips with the race number of “54” on all sides. Finally getting my dream car at age 54. I can’t wait.
    The heat shields may or not be a requirement for you. Like I said, all depends on how the safety inspection station interprets the requirements. You may need them but if you don't like them, yank them off the car once your past the inspection. This inspection is a one time thing. You will be registering your car as a "specially constructed". You will have to go through an annual inspection which is emissions exempt.

Just make sure the shop you use has a means to come get your car OR arrange to have it flat bedded. Also, you want the shop to go over your work. This is a "gut" check for you. If it doesn't look right, it's probably not.

I was 54 when I started the build process on my own MK4. Good luck my friend. One thing at a time. Keep us updated, we like pictures, and remember, we LOVE to spend YOUR money!

Post Thanks / Like
    Southwestern PA being the place it is, I believe you could get about anything inspected with Steelers tickets and a case of Iron City for a tip - which may or may not be my plan to make the process hassle-free. Good luck and stop by when it's done!