BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Phoenix 818 or GTMs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Phoenix 818 or GTMs ?

I recently fell in love with the design of both of the cars and have began the process of planning out which to build and what it’s going to take. I’d love to take a look and hopefully a ride in either of these if someone in the Phoenix area would be up to share their pride and joy with me. If this may be you, shoot me a message and let’s meet up! Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    AZPete nailed me down on the 818. From my perspective, it's largely a question of expectations and means. The 818 is easier, faster to build, cheaper, better supported. The GTM is much more unique and aggressive. Also, the boxer growl is NO match for the V8 rumble. I just saw one of the GTMs in person at Barret Jackson, and in my opinion, properly done, it's WAAAAAAY sexier a car. But a half-finished GTM sitting in the garage is no match for an 818 prowling the street/track. So there's that. I haven't seen any head-to-head performance comparisons for the two because each build is so very unique...it barely makes sense to compare 818s to each other and likewise for the GTM. Maybe a lower-end build GTM would be faster than a lower-end 818 build? I'd buy that argument, but I doubt it's important.

For me, it came down to this: budget, patience level, significant other patience level (if applicable), timeline, skillset, workshop. I felt reasonably confident that with enough time I COULD complete a GTM (maybe just optimism on my part), but it wasn't ENOUGH better than the 818 (for me) to justify the increase in everything else.

Are you in Phoenix proper or somewhere on the outskirts? I'm a little south in Maricopa, and I'm still working on the wiring, but you're welcome to come visit. I generally have some sort of beer in the fridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe next weekend I can bring by some extra beverage and help you out for a day? How do you plan to drive your 818 in az with no HVAC?? I can’t ride my motorcycle 8 months out of the year because of the temp and swampass factor

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're looking at the difference between a $25-30K build vs a $50-75K build, but I have no experience with the GTM. My 818 is heavily modified, but as yet isn't finished. I quit keeping a running tally at $40K, but I hope to finish for another $9K. So you see, you can build at either end of the spectrum. As far as the build thread, it's also part of your journey, should you choose to engage. My build thread will get updated after my car is finished. Ive kept to myself a lot to keep from being steered away from my vision by likes/dislikes of others. It will be unique, but aren't they all?

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in Florida, so I rather enjoy the weather. I don't spend much time outside when it's 120, anyway, thanks to my office job. I'm planning a rag top and maybe another thing or two that won't be mentioned publicly until I have them and they work, so I can quietly bury them if they don't, lol. I also don't plan to get rid of my Hyundai just yet, so there's that.

It'd be great to have you over, but I'll warn you....wiring is not sexy or motivating. If you're serious about building though, it might be the perfect time to get a look at the wiring diagrams and process since it's really fresh over here. Later you'll have to decide on "good enough", "actual diet", or "third party". I pm'd you my number, feel free to text any time. If I'm awake, I'm not usually away from my phone for more than an hour at a time. Worst case, I get back to you later than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an 818C that is complete. PM sent.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I understand that neither build is exactly a “cheap” ride and I’m very familiar with my mechanical background from Mercedes Benz and Tesla Motors. My girlfriend has been hounding me to build a car with her and I’ve had an itch to get a 911 turbo so while the GTM isn’t the refined beast that a porches is, you don’t get the same amount of satisfaction in just handing over money vs building exactly what you want. I’m looking forward to meeting up with you guys and seeing what your blood sweat tears and beers have made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im in Phoenix and just ordered my GTM. April 27th is it's delivery date at the factory, I expect to have it in my garage first week of May.

Parted out a big turbo 2j car, sold another project I hadn't even started and am in the process of selling a Viper. Getting rid of three to build one.