BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Pipe Hanger Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Side Pipe Hanger Bracket

I'm replacing the side pipes on my MK3. I noticed the bracket hanger weld on the sidepipe are broken. I searched the fourm and most of the converations are several years old (8-10yrs). Im wonderining if the sugestion of not bolting the hannger to the frame is still a good idea?
    IMG_0618.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    My 9 1/2 year old Mk 3.1 has close to 13k miles on it and the hanger bracket tabs on the side pipes are still solid. I bolted the hangers to the frame, per the build manual. But I used just one bolt to connect the hanger to the side pipe, not the two bolts as designed.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    I also did one bolt to allow a little play.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been preaching and using the one bolt method for years...never had a tab failure.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    When you guys do the single bolt do you use a locking nut and not tighten it fully?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    When you guys do the single bolt do you use a locking nut and not tighten it fully?
    Yes, snug but not clamping hard.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Yep, what Jeff said.
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, wrong or indifferent - I “snug” one on each side (opposite; top & bottom on opposing sides) and then leave the other ones loose with lock nuts. I did, however - modify my strap mounting to frame assembly for less rigidity. So far so good, but I’m running J-pipes (seem to fail less).

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been preaching and using the one bolt method for years...never had a tab failure.

Jeff
    I was under the impression the rubber exhaust hanger takes all the abuse, isn't the rubber hanger enough security to eliminate cracking the tab on the exhaust....why only one bolt? Another owner suggested one bolt to me at cars n coffee in Annapolis also?? I guess I'll be finding out the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yes, snug but not clamping hard.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Do you use the one bolt in the top or bottom hole on the side pipe?

Thanks.

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    I was under the impression the rubber exhaust hanger takes all the abuse, isn't the rubber hanger enough security to eliminate cracking the tab on the exhaust....why only one bolt? Another owner suggested one bolt to me at cars n coffee in Annapolis also?? I guess I'll be finding out the hard way.
    Because with two bolts in place any movement introduces a torquing motion to the mounting tab that is welded to the sidepipe which often leads to a fracture of the metal around it, especially the more brittle stainless pipes. With just one bolt installed and only snugged the weight of the pipes is supported but the tab isn't getting twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Do you use the one bolt in the top or bottom hole on the side pipe?

Thanks.

Wade
    I can't see any functional difference but generally put the bolt in the top simply because the top hole is visible from above and the bottom one isn't---if you look down on it and don't see a bolt in the top hole it appears that something fell out!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Im getting ready to have the 02 senser bungs welded on my new stainless pipes. I dont have an issue marking the hole (same loaction as my old one in the pic below) but my concern is showing the welder the 02 sensor angle. Im strugging with getting a jig together or some type of way to show the welder the angle it needs to be. Ideas?
    pipe.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Take him the old pipe and say "Here's your pattern"

Jeff