Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo, Supercharger or NA 302

Post Thanks / Like
    All very good points that are still pushing me toward a low boost blower on my existing combination. I agree that the engine should be setup for it, but luckily ring end gap and forged pistons are free :-) I have considered the 400 vs 500hp argument regarding the stock block and although I like the sound of shooting for 500, listening to all the warnings of high power in the Roadster chassis, I am pretty sure I will be plenty happy with 400 or even slightly less. I also understand a number of other factors often enter into block splitting (high boost, poor tune, hard launches, high rpm, etc, etc). BTW, if you guys like tuning your own, I have really appreciated this guys wealth of knowledge: http://www.efidynotuning.com/ A bit dated for current setups, but awesome for the old Foxbodies.

Also, thanks for the bike comparison. I have spent plenty of time on dirt/mx tracks, but never made it to the road course. I even have a dedicated SV650 track bike, but ended up with a broken back before I made my first session. I have thousands of miles on my Ducati 996, but on the street you never come close to testing its potential......except for that trip through the Pyrenees on my ST2. I had the brakes and clutch smoking after that one. All of my bikes have been very consistent though, the only one that ever tried to kill me every time I rode was a YZ450F. It was the only time I actually felt you could have too much power, or at least the wrong kind of light switch power. That bike only knew two modes, front wheel in the air and rear wheel sliding out sideways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you run drag tires, or really, really, really sticky tires, hard launches won't be an issue. You'll spin the tires for three gears. But to the point of a low boost supercharger, I run a Vortech V1 S-trim (if I recall correctly) on my 360 Dodge Dakota. It's Mopar Performance short block with ported and polished factory iron heads, 4 barrel EFI intake. It dyno'd at 345 at the rear wheels on 8 pounds of boost. It's very similar to these cars in respect to traction, obviously not weight. I know a 360 is more in line with a 351. I haven't driven my car yet (bone stock 2004 Mach 1 DOHC 32V) but I'm not even concerned about USABLE horsepower. I rode in a 450 horsepower FF and like the others said it was wheel spin city through three gears. It was fun, but not the fastest way from A to B. But like we always say here build what YOU want.

Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what the right pedal is for, just because you have the HP does not mean you need to pedal down when it is not safe to do so, and take time to learn your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO it's torque that makes these cars fun vs HP. A mild 408 is hard to beat and makes the right sounds. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I must admit that while I like power and high speed on my bikes, I most enjoy tire spinning mayhem while banging gears in the Mustang. It is best if it lasts from first through third gear while accelerating predictably (though not necessary quick or most efficiently). Since this already works in the Mustang, I am assuming it will also work in the Roadster. I figure the 100hp+ that the supercharger will add would just add to the tire spinning and the ability to pull 3rd/4th better. I am now slightly apprehensive that the short wheelbase will change the predictable wheelspin with something that will quickly put me in the ditch.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a light car i do not see the use of a lot of torque, so i went for HP. All the torque is no good if you can't get it to the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Tuned the Coyote to back some low end torque out & push the horsepower further up the rev range.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    With the crazy low price of an On3 Mustang kit, has anyone successfully installed one on a Roadster? As much as I am still leaning toward the blower for the reasons above, the idea of a $1500 turbo (if fitment isn't too painful) does still have some appeal. A search of this forum did not find anything (though I may have just missed it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdave View Post
    I must admit that while I like power and high speed on my bikes, I most enjoy tire spinning mayhem while banging gears in the Mustang. It is best if it lasts from first through third gear while accelerating predictably (though not necessary quick or most efficiently). Since this already works in the Mustang, I am assuming it will also work in the Roadster. I figure the 100hp+ that the supercharger will add would just add to the tire spinning and the ability to pull 3rd/4th better. I am now slightly apprehensive that the short wheelbase will change the predictable wheelspin with something that will quickly put me in the ditch.
    You are right to be concerned about putting it in the ditch. With the short wheelbase and zero electronic assist, these cars don't respond well to constant wheel spinning. Unless you're doing donuts in the parking lot. For "normal" street driving (which means different things to different people, I realize) you will be hard pressed IMO to use more than 300-400 rear wheel HP. At that point you're already sub four-second zero to sixty and almost instantly illegal everywhere. It's all about traction, setup and driver. Supercharger, turbocharger, whatever... Nice conversation pieces at car shows and such.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You are right to be concerned about putting it in the ditch. With the short wheelbase and zero electronic assist, these cars don't respond well to constant wheel spinning.
    Edwardb Makes An Excellent Point!

If you look at this video, at or around the 2 minute mark, you'll see I've got no traction and the car is between 1/4 - 1/3 throttle in 1st gear. If you listen to it closely, or slow the video down, you'll hear me pedal the sucker a few times as I go down the street.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

In addition, when I had to replace my engine block, which is another story, I actually changed the camshaft to reduce duration so I effectively took away some power while improving lower speed manners. The problem doing that is it makes even more power at the lower end of the RPM spectrum.

Build What You Want But Be Careful!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-28-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always recommend autocross for owners of these cars. It is a great place to run 100%, find and exceed the limits, while being safe. Not to mention a lot of fun without a lot of expense. As mentioned above, the short wheelbase and no driving aids can catch people out. Often people start getting in trouble, do a abrupt lift and put themselves all the way in trouble.

Watch the 2nd gear grab. Notice that I short shifted big time, not at full throttle and it still jumps sideways. The tires are 180 treadwear, so pretty sticky. That whooshing sound throughout the video is wheel spin. I had someone think it was a turbo.
    https://youtu.be/o_Qwhu9Ma0o

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You are right to be concerned about putting it in the ditch. With the short wheelbase and zero electronic assist, these cars don't respond well to constant wheel spinning. Unless you're doing donuts in the parking lot. For "normal" street driving (which means different things to different people, I realize) you will be hard pressed IMO to use more than 300-400 rear wheel HP. At that point you're already sub four-second zero to sixty and almost instantly illegal everywhere. It's all about traction, setup and driver. Supercharger, turbocharger, whatever... Nice conversation pieces at car shows and such.
    Yeah thats the bottom line: power to the ground. Had always thought I was going to get a supercharger. Got the car built & tuned N/A. After break-in miles found out that even with 13" wide drag radials using 100 treadware rubber can't hold WOT traction till every speed law in the country is broken. Maybe some sandbags in the trunk
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12