Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration in California

Post Thanks / Like

Registration in California

Hello all I am a new member on the forums here and was wondering on how hard it is to get one of these GTMs registered and smogged. I am looking at the possibility of getting one of the ultima kit cars as well just deciding on which car I like better currently and how much work I want to do. The Ultima is suppose to be like a 300-400 hour job and the GTM is suppose to be like a 600+ hour job. Do these estimates sound about right? My main concern with getting either of these cars is the smog pass in california. I have read that it will have to pass like a new corvette or like any new car and not have that pre 1975 smog exempt ability because I would be putting a new crate LS7 into either of the cars. When I do this do i have to do the EVAP system and the charcoal canister and whatnot as well? Do these cars come with this stuff in the klit so they can become registered? Do I have to buy a kit from someone?
    Any help is apprecaited because I would love to build one of these supercars. (the cobras are nice and all but i just like the look of these better).
    Thanks All!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Calif the GTM will register (for smog purposes only) as a 1960 vehicle. It will be registered as either a "no year specified" SPCN or a "0000" SPCN.

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE - HSC
    DIVISION 26. AIR RESOURCES [39000 - 44474] ( Division 26 repealed and added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957. )
    PART 5. VEHICULAR AIR POLLUTION CONTROL [43000 - 44299.91] ( Part 5 added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957. )
    CHAPTER 5. Motor Vehicle Inspection Program [44000 - 44126] ( Chapter 5 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 892, Sec. 2. )

ARTICLE 2. Program Requirements [44010 - 44025] ( Article 2 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 892, Sec. 2. )

(a) Upon registration with the Department of Motor Vehicles, a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is a specially constructed vehicle, as defined in Section 580 of the Vehicle Code, shall be inspected by stations authorized to perform referee functions. This inspection shall be for the purposes of determining the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application. The owner shall have the option to choose whether the inspection is based on the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year.

(1) In determining the engine model-year, the referee shall compare the engine to engines of the era that the engine most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to the engine in any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured engine. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established engine model-year and that the engine reasonably accommodates in its present form.

(2) In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shall compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established model-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in its present form.

(b) Upon the completion of the inspection, the referee shall affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the engine model-year or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application.

(c) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall annually provide a registration to no more than the first 500 vehicles that meet the criteria described in subdivision (a) that are presented to that department for registration pursuant to this section. The 500-vehicle annual limitation does not apply to the renewal of registration of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.

(Amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 693, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2003.)

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 01-22-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: remove bad link
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

3. Thanks flynntuna thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your help! Basically any kit car that isn’t a replica will be registered as a 1960 vehicle for smog purposes then correct?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct, as long as it's one of the first 500 SPCNs vehicles of the calendar year (but they haven't run out of numbers for a few years now.)

From DMV's web site:

"Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control
    What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?
    Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since specially constructed vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned year model of the vehicle or they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the year model for future inspection purposes.

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?
    An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, vehicles will be assigned a year model matching the calendar year in which the application is submitted or applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS certificates of sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different year model determination.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. If the vehicle is sold before the application complete, the seller of the vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS certificate of sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one calendar year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be reissued if the record shows a smog exempt status and the original State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Information Label is not affixed to the vehicle for:

SPCNS nonresident vehicles with a vehicle record showing a smog exempt status.
    Buyers registering a vehicle as SPCNS with smog exempt status on the record.
    In these cases, the owner must take the vehicle to BAR."

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

6. Thanks flynntuna thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember, you need to DECLARE that you want it inspected under the vehicle regulation(not the engine regulation). As stated, it is your choice.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts