Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Alabama!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Alabama!

Hey all, hello from Madison, Alabama!

With much trepidation and excitement I took advantage of the winter sale last month and placed an MK4 complete kit order in with the FF folks.

Short Backstory: I've been wanting to build some sort of car since I was a young man. My Dad passed unexpectedly and too soon a couple years ago and left me a little money. Obviously I would give it all back to have him around, we were pals. So this is going to be what my 15 year old son and I work on for a while to come... Thanks Dad.

I ordered a pdf manual early last year and it has basically become my second favorite book - trying to do my homework best I can. But I wouldn't have had the nerve to try this out if it wasn't for this forum and the amazing amount of help that people offer here. I hope to glean as much wisdom as possible from everyone's experience (hope someday I'll contribute too).

A couple questions:
    - Are the rivets that come with the kit steel or aluminum?
    - Can anyone estimate how many parts NEED some sort of rust protection?

Thanks again!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The rivets are aluminum and please spend the money to have your chassis powder coated....Read the manual, then read it again and a 3rd time before your kit arrives because it will help with your inventory process....Do a very detailed inventory when your kit arrives and make sure you make a copy of your inventory checklist and tape the individual sheets on the corresponding boxes that contains those parts....In the meantime watch the Factory Five Assembly Videos if you are bored.

Episode #1 is the link shown below:

https://youtu.be/NnJdjMKDC_g?list=PL...VS-CVcPoK4x6lB

Welcome Aboard From The Dark-Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-21-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback and answers GoDadGo!

Happy to say I did opt for the chassis powder coating.
    I have been watching those videos as well, but I think I'll be going through them again (and again, and ...).

Look forward to the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome There are parts that need to be painted like control arms and misc brackets.
    I myself sent it all out to the powder coat guy. Some guys use the Eastwood 2k paint and diy. I’m up in Chicago and don’t plan on driving my 35 in the rain or snow. Good luck with your build once again do a complete inventory of everything that gets delivered it could take a few months for everything to show up because of back ordered stuff.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Welske, There are a ton on parts that need rust protection! I recommend buying an old oven and learning to powder coat yourself. It's really easy and IMHO way better than paint.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard from a fellow Alabamian. If you need any info on the registration process when the time comes hit me up. Very easy in our state. Enjoy your build.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from central Alabama. Looking forward to your progress.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. I am sure you will enjoy your build, I know that I have. If you have any questions or want to see in person how something is supposed to go together, I am about an hour from you in Gardendale and love showing off my toys. I have completed the build and will take mine apart this spring to paint. I can also recommend a couple powder coaters in AL if you are going that route.

BTW what is your build plan? Donor or complete kit?

Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    To everyone who posted - thanks for the advice! And to WarDamnEagle - I was really hoping someone near(ish) would be generous enough to offer me a look at their finished or in-progress car - I'll definitely keep that offer in mind and be in touch. Thanks again.

Haven't decided on the powder coat vs. paint direction. As of now I'm really looking at the budget vs. look vs. function. I'm not looking to make a show car from this, mostly I just want to enjoy the build with my son and have something fun to run around in a couple/few years. Would I be right in saying that powder coat is probably the best in look and function but the most expensive?

Also, in other posts I've heard people coating all the panels, or selected panels that be visible, or even no panels. But I think I've come to the understanding that regardless of what you do on the panels there are still quite a few parts that need some protective coating. I'm really just tying to come to an understanding of how many panels and brackets and other items I need to account for. I guess I'll be better able to make that decision during inventory.

Build plan in as turnkey as possible. I've done my own automotive maintenance and small repairs for many years. I've done (with help) some medium jobs and assisted on some as well. But I won't claim to be a mechanic - I just love working on cars that don't have to get me to work in a few hours.

That said:
    MKIV - complete kit - chose mostly base options, but I did opt in for as "complete" a kit as possible. Some of the more important options:
    - powder coated the frame
    - 302/351 Mounts (thinking about 347 w/TKO 600 right now)
    - power steering kit
    - Moser 3 link solid Axle Rear End, std width (I got the rear solid axle brake kit as well)

Thanks again for the feed back everyone!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey there...is this Jeff>?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do make it down this way we can call "Lowrod" he lives about 3-4 miles from me and is also completed assembly but still in gelcoat. Lowrod is running a 302 while I have a 4.6 supercharged, so You can see the difference in the what the pushrod motor vs the mod-motor looks like installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    So .. I am over in big cove about 20 minutes from you I am guessing and have built a couple Factory Fives.... I also have a Coupe and the new truck in my garage - you are certainly welcome to come by and discuss and look at how I did the builds

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    9C49097C-FAC9-4051-B3A2-D3612652E874.jpg

We have a lot of builds going on or completed in the mid to upstate area of Alabama. Looking forward to hearing how you will be progressing with your build. As WarDamnEagle stated, you are welcome to drop by anytime.

0057F52F-9013-46C8-85FC-647F9DD927CE.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. I would use SS rivets where there is a heavy loan or stress. I found that the Alum rivets failed where I mounted the battery box and the radiator.Fan fell out of car on expressway and battery box broke loss from the cross member.Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal - thanks all!

Hey Erik, I'm not Jeff. My name is Kevin. But I believe you and I have a mutual friend - BP? I look forward to shamelessly sponging wisdom from all of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welske,

Welcome to the fun! You asked about parts that will need some sort of finishing. Aside from whatever you decide to do with the aluminum panels, there are some parts that arrive as bare steel. The pedal box frame, hood and trunk hinges, e-brake handle parts, and quick Jack's. That's the bulk of it. Hope that answers your question.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 01-23-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave! That helps out a ton. I'll go back to the manual and scout those out a bit now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by welske View Post
    Good deal - thanks all!

Hey Erik, I'm not Jeff. My name is Kevin. But I believe you and I have a mutual friend - BP? I look forward to shamelessly sponging wisdom from all of you.
    Yeah ... no problem ... I can give you a list of all the guys in town I use - from powdercoating to rearend narrowing and whatever other things that might come up.... I have done a few of them now since I moved here and they have come out pretty nice... we also have a North Alabama Cobra Club that I can hook you up with.... and of course I have a ton of leftover items from my builds - so if you get stuck with back orders or whatever.... just come by, grab what you need - just return when you get yours ... or pay it forward... in the mean time ..... happy building ... these are the fun times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin,

I'm the Jeff that Erik was asking about. I live down in Hartselle and am getting my kit sometime around the end of Feb. Erik has already been a great source of info to help me finalize my kit and my build plans. I'll message you my contact info and would enjoy collaboration as we go down this journey.

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months and have soaked up a ton of knowledge and experience from the members.
    Last edited by jeffhelms56; 01-24-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by welske View Post
    Thanks Dave! That helps out a ton. I'll go back to the manual and scout those out a bit now.
    I was just reminded that the clutch quadrant parts come bare steel as well.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I was just reminded that the clutch quadrant parts come bare steel as well.

Dave
    Welske, welcome to the madness... I can add that the rear anti-sway bar brackets are also bare steel. I also used POR15 on the seat frames as they were bare steel and had surface rust on them when I opened the box. You may also want to coat/paint the door latch spacers as they are bare steel. I painted the upper half of the upper steering rod that goes through the dash board also as it is bare and started to surface rust as well.

Again, welcome. I've only just finished my MK4 in GelCoat and will be driving it like this for about 8-10 months when I plan to get it painted by Jeff K. Feel free to ask all the questions you can, someone on the forum will have the answers you need.
    Carl

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Kevin...I talked to Stewart earlier today. Looks like we MAY get our cars on Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed and ready to get started.