Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: FFR Fuel tank issues

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Fuel tank issues

How has the limitations with the ffr fuel tank been resolved by 818 builders?

My issues: tank is hard to fill and I am only able to get to 1/2 tank before fuel begins to run out of the vent or overflow the fill tube. I also experience the vent line spitting fuel when it was ideling for about 20 min. I know it only accepted about 8 or 9 gallons before this started because I used 2 5 gallon cans to fill it and it would not take the second can.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Dedrick
    35D2F8C7-C749-4DB7-BA98-49058881A0DE.jpeg810FF77F-97A5-4AE1-9E90-AC6D83BD6AE7.jpeg

2. Thanks Joseph thanked for this post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's a bit of a pain. Fuel tanks are not as simple as you think.

To help ease filling, you need somewhere for the air that is being displaced by the fuel to go, and it has to have a clear path to get there. I welded a steel threaded bung to the top corner of the tank and then screwed an NPT to hose barb adapter to it. I think it's a 3/4" diameter rubber fuel hose I then clamped to that, and then ran that up to a short section of pipe I welded on to the fuel filler pipe. This gives the air somewhere to escape to while filling. It still doesn't fill as well as an OEM car because, for some reason, FFR put the filler opening on the tank at the half-way mark on the side instead of on the top. This causes your filler pipe to have fuel sitting in it at all times which slows down the rate in which you can fill the tank. But it is what it is.

Next is venting. I added a discriminator valve to the vent line. It allows air to come in and out but not fuel. It doesn't work perfectly, I've found, but better than nothing. I then routed the breather line as high as I could toward the frame and into a home made charcoal canister I made out of PVC pipe and activated charcoal. The vent line goes into the BOTTOM of the cannister and the vent line comes out the top and then bends down.

You can see all this in my build thread.

4. Likes Joseph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks al lot. This will be very helpful in my quest to finish (this phase of) the build. I know I’ll have to revisit it later on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a custom aluminum adapter and welded it onto the FFR fuel cap. Allows the tank to vent right near the cap by running a line down to a fitting on the top of my custom fuel tank. I took the fancy route, others have taken a more DIY approach.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

7. Thanks hronald395 thanked for this post
    Likes Bob_n_Cincy, Zach34, Joseph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Hindsight
    Can you tell me the capacity of the fuel tank?
    Is the 818 capable of an 800-mile trip?
    Thanks
    Dan

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I calc'd 14 gal for the "newer (2014 -ish)" tank that has the cut back to give driver side only more leg room. If not 14 then real close to that. I'm getting about 29mpg in my H6 motor. I've gone 1500 miles so far and no breakdowns so I guess at least I got 800 miles, but there were some fill ups so far...

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, 14.1 gallons for the newer FFR tank. However, it's only 7.8 gallons below the top of the fuel filler pipe, so you'll want a good tank vent to use all 14 gallons.