Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Houdinis 35 truck build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Houdinis 35 truck build

I got the front suspension on except for the coil over sleves, missing parts are a hold up missing lower arms for rear end too

so I took the cab off and am doing sound deadening and had a lot of flex on front of roof so I am laying some more glass mat down
    any one got any suggestions on the sound insulation ??? that I might be missing out on ????
    I am planning on a headliner and plan to put some wood around the cab to tack the ends of it

the body did not slip off as easiy as I thought it would
    hate to disappoint you guys this is not going to have any photos
    sure used up the space in shop quick got about 80 feet used up

going to get this to a driver this year and do the body and paint next fall and switch to the 347 engine and a gearstar AOD

got a junked model A with a fresh 302 with a roller cam gonna use carb and stock trans for now

Post Thanks / Like
    fiber glasing the roof and the dash, and I am not a neat person with glass got to grind off a few pimples
    my missing brakes and parts shortages are still MISSING
    oh well its too cold to heat the shop, had it 80 today but we are getting a cold snap time to veg out at home

Post Thanks / Like
    no pics didn't happen !

Post Thanks / Like
    been having lots of snow, storms and cold weather
    if I spent as much time working on truck as fighting snow and trying to heat shop I would have some progress to report

the paint I got 2 qts and I gal reducer was just a bit under 700$ we are not living in a cheep country anymore !!!!!
    Last edited by Houdini; 02-22-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    sent out my upholstery to get redone, waiting on seat untill I figure out what to do
    filling seams on the splices on the truck cab sanded it down with 40 grit then ground out divots and fill with short strand filler
    then air filed it down and refilled with lightweight filler and am air sanding with air fille

Post Thanks / Like
    just about done filling and insulating, cant wait to finish my front end and rear end
    I am a happy camper got all my part except for the rear brakes
    so I hope to make some progress and stay out of filler dust
    some day ihope the wife can post some pix for me
    being a old dog it hard to learn the new trix
    have been cleaning the floor and putting the excess lumber away
    and pushed the welders in back room

Post Thanks / Like
    Primed the inside edges on the cab today

Post Thanks / Like
    cut the bar that goes behind the seat think I will like extra room
    I liked the OTB master cyl resivoir but it was close to $200 think I will have to pass on that
    sent in a summit order to get some putty and grind and other stuff

my tucken roll seat is just about done got it emerald green and white my upholstery guy said it was worst seat that he ever did
    he is a instructor t the body school I went to

got some decals madE with truck name on them Emerald JEWEL

Post Thanks / Like
    got the roll bars and some of the interior of frame painted and also painted the inside of the cab
    now to assemble petals and put the cab back, on if it still fits, then time to mount rear end and get started on some assembly got all the parts that I need
    where I cut the bar out of the cage it dont even show thanks to 2 block sandings and some spray can filler primer

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any pics ? Just wondering if your going with 3 point seat belts and mounting them to the roll bar ?
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    no pix
    looks like I got some 3 point mount seatbelts with , retractors car type style
    got a split type mount for the roll bar

Post Thanks / Like
    had the rear end bit my hand lost some skin
    got the pettal box in LOOKS LIKE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH INTERFERENCE ON STERE COLUMN

got a new bat box, made going to turn battery sideways and cut and hinge floor for axcess hope it all works

has anyone received or got any work on longer driveshaft cover or other seat fixes
    I hope they can send some different parts so I dont have to fabricate more stuff
    I would love to have a 4 foot box and pan brake but dont have spare $$$

but I guess I am fortunate to have a 4 foot Dries and Krump 10 ton brake rated for 16 ga

got a friend with a 24 foot 450 ton brake and much other stuff , plasma tables , lazer and wet jet

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to shim the colum and use a button head bolt on the bottom left side. The seat is another issue I cut the front inner corners out of the frame. The seat fits fine over the driveshaft cover it’s the fiberglass trans tunnel is where I ran into issues. I am installing a e stopp electric park brake so no issues with the seat and manual e brake .

Post Thanks / Like
    Houdini, take a look at my post on bench seat install for photos of how I cut down the tranny fiberglass tunnel to get the seat to fit over the tunnel.
    Best of luck.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    truck hit a virtual standstill
    we are having major flooding in area, most of my road is washed out, and truck is in town
    had power go out on farm yesterday and sump pump is running every 30 seconds
    got about a 8 foot dike around farmstead, but still got snow where I need to place pumps and got a lot of water someplaces in yard
    hope to get tractor running and move some snow and haul out pumps, hope I got oil for the next 2 pumps we have not had water for 5 years here tractor fuel froze up and stalled
    went to fargo ND yesterday for hose, foot valve and other supplies and made it 4 miles an water was over all roads and took alternate route to get there
    prayer appreciated
    hope this tired old body can make progress today, usually get exhausted quickly got some symptoms of agent orange

Post Thanks / Like
    have not done anything for 30 days, but they are building my road back together so I hope to be able to drive to town
    still buying some stuff for truck, going to HF for a cart for my tig, its never been used think I have had it for 3 years
    anxoious to build a small console and drink holder
    did get custom autosound remote radio, need a few more pices here and there but starting to see light at end of tunnel
    these flood expenses ate up some car $$$ too
    hope to start making some more progress next week

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there. Getting normal life back together is the most important thing. The truck isn’t going anywhere and this to shall pass. I’m going to be driving thru your neck of the woods in the end of June heading up to Saskatchewan for some fishing. Can’t wait to see some pictures of your build. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to work on truck most of summer and try to make it drive by fall and skip most shows
    road repairs were going good until rain again
    I am about 130 miles south of winnepeg in ada mn
    have a shop on hiway 200 stop in if you are ever in area shop phone is 218 784 7110 usually I cant get to the office in time to catch it before machine trips on

Post Thanks / Like
    well have been working on truck, cold and rainy here think I am old and slow it took 7 days to get the firewall done and in trying to think ahead on a lot of fitments and modifications, trying to color coordinate parts, that seems to get expensive looking at the exhaust area and want to insulate and seal the whole body hope that works going to try to mount the transmission cover with 1/4 turn fasteners (duzis] think I will use a Lokar emergency brake I got one in a unfinished car

got my tig set up have never used it successfully also need new small MIG welder thinking on the yello0w HF but am skeered after buying a Eastwood one a few years ago that died quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    sold my model a kept the engine for the truck and moved all my F5 truck parts into the showroom am taking a couple months off to regroup, went to Sweden and Norway and did a American car show in Sweden, was a good trip

Post Thanks / Like
    life got in way of truck and i took a break, went to japan for mooneyes show and got some done on car got engine and fuel system in, struggling with air and grill just had another flood and am thinking on moving getting too old to deal with winters here i stuck in stock 302 and camed it and took AOD and shift kit and 2200 rpm converter and i used a snow white converter and opel water pump and am going with carb to keep it simple for now not too many parts boxes left, a lot of modifications cause other problems and soon to be 75 year old
    i run 3 transmission coolers and i water cooler ahead of rear axle and turned bat box and put in double u joint and hanger bearing i also had some parts plated last summer when i did a car show at dollywood
    my dreams are to run dual exhaust to rear and put on a tube rear bumper so i may have to fix my exhaust bender i will run tailpipe under the rear end i hipe to get back up to speed on this now that every other thing has stoped

Post Thanks / Like
    Show us some pix of it!

We flooded a few years ago. I don't wish that on anybody. It set me back a good bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    just had another flood finally getting stuff put away beaver got drains pluged
    i will see if wife can do some pix later on, its not too exciting yet trying to get belts on the 302 i used to do pix butthis is too complicated
    someday later look up eugene vik on facebook and i could post there

Post Thanks / Like
    got the 302 running had a few problems on alt mount got it on rh side and air cond pump on left, got a place in TN for winter will work on finishing truck there, quit readi9ng instructions and doing it my way
    for swi9tches and acessories do you use relays and run through key so they are turned off?? using a battry switch when done
    run the exhaust back am runing to end of box under truck
    insulated mufflers and pipes seems good on heat transfer
    i did not run the bottom rad hose under the truck want it low
    got wood panel for roof w tuck en roll and tack strips on cab
    how do you mount lights when mounting to rad area???
    i had to cut en weld someplaces like where alt goes on rh side cut tube on fram and reattached
    i used a cast dash and had to get new gauges to fit sped and tack

Post Thanks / Like
    got the 302 running had a few problems on alt mount got it on rh side and air cond pump on left, got a place in TN for winter will work on finishing truck there, quit readi9ng instructions and doing it my way
    for swi9tches and acessories do you use relays and run through key so they are turned off?? using a battry switch when done
    run the exhaust back am runing to end of box under truck
    insulated mufflers and pipes seems good on heat transfer
    i did not run the bottom rad hose under the truck want it low
    got wood panel for roof w tuck en roll and tack strips on cab
    how do you mount lights when mounting to rad area???
    i had to cut en weld someplaces like where alt goes on rh side cut tube on fram and reattached
    i used a cast dash and had to get new gauges to fit sped and tack
    i also used the insualtion spray and was not impressed

Post Thanks / Like
    there ½ inch holes on the rad support bracket for lights; if fenders you will need to make a bracket to raise lights about 3 ½" above existing hole to clear fenders, higher would be better but conflict with hood hinge assy

27. Thanks Houdini thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i got fenders, had to put longer pushrods in 302 its running pretty nice jnsulated inside of firewall dont have brakes or cab on will do heater next , need another cruise controll