Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Will I fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Will I fit?

Ok, I’ve been busy doing my research and putting together my order for a Type 65 Coupe and decided before any next steps I need to sit in one. I’m 6’1”. Found a gen 2 Coupe for sale locally so went to look at it. It has Scat racing seats with adjustable seat tracks. It was difficult to get into the car and once I did my knees were against the dash and my head was hitting the ceiling. No way I’d be able to operate the pedals to drive the car. Luckily it had removable steering wheel or I might still be trying to get out��

So I’m looking for input. I understand the cab has been enlarged on the type 3 by up to 3” head room and leg room has been added. I’m thinking also maybe the seat selection had something to do with it.

Can anyone over 6’1” tell me how / if the gen 3 coupe will fit me and be comfortable to enter, exit and drive?
    Last edited by Fisher Lake Hot Rods; 01-22-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Coupe journey also started with a Gen 2 that I sat in at a dealer. I'm average height and weight (mostly) and fit wasn't a problem. But not particularly easy to get in and out of. When the Gen 3 Coupe was released, sat in the prototype at Factory Five. It's much improved and has considerably more room. Still a little interesting to get in and out of, but then I'm not as flexible as I used to be. I don't think you would have any problem. Seats make a huge difference. So you would need to figure out what suits you best. Headroom is OK. But I will say the roll bar along the top of the doors is pretty close to your head. I'm going to be putting some padding on mine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Likes soreknuckles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm at the 110th percentile: 6'6", 330 (when I took the pic) size 16 shoe:

This is the demo car at SEMA 2016, sporting Kirkey Racing seats. No "Tall Guy" provisions were made before I climbed in. As reference, I can't sit in a "standard" roadster build and I once climbed into a gen2 as a passenger and my head was SLAMMED against the roof.

My head is NOT hitting the roof. I'm leaning a bit forward and toward the window in this pic so it does look smaller than it felt. The cockpit is bigger than the roadster which I fit into nicely, with some minor adjustments during the build.

I didn't let anyone film me getting in or out!

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 01-22-2019 at 11:33 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    You will fit in a gen 2 just fine but seat selection and set up is critical. I am 6'3 and set up right it fits well. The gen 3 has even more room
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the helpful comments. The car I tried out was a Gen 2 built by Levy Racing around 2013/14 according to the seller who was 2nd owner. It had Scat racing seats mounted to seat adjuster. The seat was all the way back. My knees were up against the dash and my head touching the roof. No way I could have operated any pedals. Getting out was very difficult and luckily it had a removable steering wheel which is now on my list of musts.

Seems like everyone is confirming seat selection is critical and also the good news that the Gen 3 has more room. At 6’1” I never felt like I was taller than average, but in this particular car I felt like a giant.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    That particular car was built for someone 5'9" tall. The pedal assy can be adjusted almost 2" further forward and taking the seat off the track will gain 1" down and 2" back. The low back aluminum race seat gives even more room.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. By the way the car still looks good and the build quality is evident.