Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheel Spacing

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Spacing

I finally got my wheels and tires on the car and made it a roller. The body is sitting on the car and appears to be sitting where it will finally rest.

When I set it on the ground the body came to a half inch or less to the top of the tires in the back. The tires are 29" tall and I have the 4-link adjustable control arms holding the rear end in place. I jacked up the frame and took the weight off the shocks and cranked the spanners up for more clearance. Right now there is 3.5" from the bottom of the shock threads to the top of the two spanners.

It appears that I have around 1.5" from the body to the top of the tires now. How much room do I need to make sure it does not rub? I have single adjustable QA1 shocks on the car and the rear has 325 pound 10" springs on it. I climbed up on the frame and tried to bounce it around a little but I could not get the car to move much at all.

How much clearance should I have between the body and the tire?

Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Arowhead might be a good person to get in touch with concerning this. He had a similar setup with oversize rear tires. He, like you, used adjustable control arms to move the axle back, but I believe he experienced some problems with geometry doing this. I'm not sure if he'll see this thread so you might need to contact him.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I will PM him directly, thanks... I think I will also email Tony at FFR and ask him. (Guess I should have done that first.)

Can anyone else please chime in? What are the measurements on running cars? From the top of the wheel to the wheel well on the car.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017