Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Heat and Sound Barriers

Post Thanks / Like

Heat and Sound Barriers

I am about to order some heat and sound barrier material for my aluminum panels. Looking for some do's and don'ts or any other advise from other users.
    I am about ready to hit the order button on the Thermo Tec heat and sound, peel and stick barrier. I plan on using this inside of the foot boxes and any left over, maybe on the cockpit floors and trans tunnel. For the rest of the car, seat back, trunk, etc I think I want just the sound barrier. I like the thin stuff, no need in adding weight. I will be checking to make sure the carpet will mount on all of this.
    I am shopping Summit. They seem to have a good selection and I am used to dealing with them.
    If anyone has a figure for the amount needed, it will be appreciated.
    Please feel free to make suggestions, thanks.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Noico 80mil for sound dampening. It made a HUGE difference! This will show you where I used it on my car.

I got 2 boxes, and used 1/2 of a box on my car. I still have an entire unopened box (somewhere) that you are welcome to have if you wish (or the rest of the opened box) for the cost of the ride. Nioco 80mil

Otherwise, for thermal barrier I used EZ Cool from lobucrod.com used mainly on my footbox walls.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 01-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

3. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the amount, I used 18 sheets of 18"x32" (72 sq ft) Dynamat on my car. That covered the entire cockpit (including back wall & sides), trunk, & firewall. I would guess that half of what I used would do your foot boxes, floor & transmission tunnel.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    I used Noico 80mil for sound dampening. It made a HUGE difference! This will show you where I used it on my car.

I got 2 boxes, and used 1/2 of a box on my car. I still have an entire unopened box (somewhere) that you are welcome to have if you wish (or the rest of the opened box) for the cost of the ride. Nioco 80mil

Otherwise, for thermal barrier I used EZ Cool from lobucrod.com used mainly on my footbox walls.
    Thanks for the generous offer. Let me know how to take care of this transaction. PM sent
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the sprayable lizard skin and it’s crazy light. The gallon can actually felt empty. Looks great and is very thin and easy to apply. It’s also water based so there is no bad smell and it cleans up with water.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post

Thanks for the generous offer. Let me know how to take care of this transaction. PM sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. I have decided to go with the peel and stick line. I have not read anything bad about Lizard Skin, just did not want to deal with the taping and clean up. It sounds like what I have lined up for heat protection and Dad Of Three's offer, I should be good.
    In reading other threads, it sounds like it all works, just differences in brands and locations of installations.
    I am still open for advise on the job. Thanks for making this easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Thermo-Tec on the inside of my cockpit. I used a total of 4 (3'x5') sheets (60 square feet). I didn't do anything in the trunk. I've installed my carpet over the top the Thermo-Tec using 3M S77 spray adhesive and it sticks just fine.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Lizard Skin ceramic for the thermal barrier and then covered that with Dynamat for sound and vibration dampening. Has worked well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my thoughts.

Heat barrier - this is what you are looking for.
    Sound barrier - An open car with a sidepipe two feet from your ear makes it wishful thinking. There is not much under the floor or in the trunk that makes noise.

I used EZ-Cool. Heat barrier and light weight. Big power and light weight is what a Cobra is all about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Here are my thoughts.

Heat barrier - this is what you are looking for.
    Sound barrier - An open car with a sidepipe two feet from your ear makes it wishful thinking. There is not much under the floor or in the trunk that makes noise.

I used EZ-Cool. Heat barrier and light weight. Big power and light weight is what a Cobra is all about.
    Would probably never hear any sheet metal noise, but like the idea of the sound deadening on the aluminum spans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a quick demo of what the sound deadening products accomplish.

Yes, these are loud open air cars, but applying a sound dampening material will make the car sound more solid. That's my $0.02.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

14. Likes Paul2STL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just went with .3" thick Reflectix heat insulation under the carpet for the full cockpit interior. Gave a more solid feel & quietness to the aluminum. It was still functional in reducing heat from the drive train. Nothing you can do about heat from the sun without a roof.

Outer panels facing a heat source were covered in ThermoTec.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What do you guys think about using this product from Summit Racing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-879006

It appears to be similar to what most of you all used, is made in the U.S.A. but is pre-cut smaller size may help me better deal with the installation process because of my boogered up primary hand.

The total square footage is:..34.56'
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-25-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

It appears to be similar to what most of you all used, is made in the U.S.A. but is pre-cut smaller size may help me better deal with the installation process because of my boogered up primary hand.

I'm sure the product will be fine, but I'm guessing you'll need a second package to cover the entire cockpit. Free shipping on that product, so I'd order only 1 for now. If you're willing to spend a little money to minimize the cutting, get one of Breeze's insulation packages. https://www.breezeautomotive.com/?s=...t_type=product

As for smaller pieces, you're definitely on the right path. I cut my Dynamat into much smaller pieces than the 18" x 32" provided. I also used the scraps to fit the irregular shapes of the aluminum. I used a straight edge & a box cutter for the aluminum, and completely dulled several blades in the process.

Last thought: be sure to get a brayer (a hard rubber roller used to smoosh the insulation onto the aluminum).

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall what the dimensions were on some of the panels, but I'd measure first to make that size will cover the largest side, or you may end up cutting more due to the smaller pieces.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    How do these products hold up to getting wet if it rained?
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    They all hold up well to rain. It’s more of a application and effectiveness that differentiates them.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    They all hold up well to rain. It’s more of a application and effectiveness that differentiates them.
    +1 no rain issues.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I used AL's Heat and Noise spray, similar to Lizard Skin, then added Thermo Tec. EDITED 7/10/19... I used Thermo Guard, not Thermo-Tec

The Thermo-Tec (Thermo Guard) is a sound and heat barrier with foil on ONLY one side (install foil to heat side... i.e. down). I also added AL's and Thermo-Tec (Thermo Guard) to the trunk. Was it needed? Maybe help keep things I'm carrying cool. Supposed to deaden sound better than foil on both sides. Is it true?????

I also did not glue it down over the tunnel. I used the old fashion carpet washers and screwed it in place. Turned out to be a good thing. Had to remove the tunnel cover to fix the trans leak (twice). Made it easy to remove and replace.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve's Stupid Question:

Can Lizard Skin or Al's Super Goo Be Rolled On Like Herculiner?

Thanks-N-Advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve's Stupid Question:

Can Lizard Skin or Al's Super Goo Be Rolled On Like Herculiner?

Thanks-N-Advance!
    I've brushed Lizard Skin on small pieces or where spraying wasn't practical or I didn't feel like getting the gun dirty. Never tried rolling it. It's hard to get the proper thickness though. Need to wait for it to dry and hit it with several coats. The advantage of spraying is you can get the desired thickness with several passes in one session.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

25. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just letting everyone know, DadofThree was generous enough to give me his left over insulating material. It arrived today and looks quality.
    Thanks Dave, DadofThree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    I used AL's Heat and Noise spray, similar to Lizard Skin, then added Thermo Tec. The Thermo-Tec is a sound and heat barrier with foil on ONLY one side (install foil to heat side... i.e. down). I also added AL's and Thermo-Tec to the trunk.
    I was surprised to see that Thermo-tec needs to be installed with the foil down. Does this mean you don't use the adhesive backing and just use spray adhesive to glue it down on the interior? I was just about to buy some of this for my Gen III Type 65 coupe but maybe it is not the right product for me. Have others used it on the interior with the adhesive down? I was wanting to add this on the inside and then cover it with carpet.

Below is what I was thinking of ordering.
    Thermo-Tec Acoustical & Heat Control Mats 14620 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14620/overview/

Edit: I ended up ordering the Summit branded ultra heat and sound insulation. I read too many reviews about the Thermo-tec adhesive melting and running down. I'll let everyone know how it goes since it does not seem to be recent reviews of the Summit ultra heat and sound insulation.
    Last edited by Tree; 07-10-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    I was surprised to see that Thermo-tec needs to be installed with the foil down. Have others used it on the interior with the adhesive down? I was wanting to add this on the inside and then cover it with carpet.
    I'd actually be surprised if someone installed it with the aluminum, face down, in the cockpit. Where did you see that done? All the interior photo's I have ever seen of insulated cockpits, using an aluminum faced material, show the aluminum face up. I know that seems odd, being the aluminum acts as a "heat reflective" surface. That is how it would work, if placed in the engine compartment side on a vehicle's firewall, or the outside of the footboxes, tranny tunnel, etc., on the roadster..

The particular product you are looking at is only 1/16" thick, so it has no insulating quality's whatsoever. It is strictly a heat reflector. I wouldn't use it on the inside of the cockpit myself.
    Dynaliner would be a far better choice. Heat and sound insulator, waterproof, etc. It works as a great backing to the carpet as well. Use black automotive silicone to adhere the carpet to it.
    Various thickness's available

http://www.dynamat.com/brands/dynaliner/

This product might be a good alternative as well. It's thicker then the one your looking at, but not as expensive as the Dynaliner.
    https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...iew/?rrec=true
    Last edited by AC Bill; 07-10-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thermo Tec installs sticky side down, foil material UP! Thats how its designed and has been used in some thousands of hot rods and street machines over many, many years. The material, although thin, is very, very dense and does very good at protecting from heat and sound. Good for 2000F radiant and 300F direct. Used on interiors only, not engine compartments.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I'd actually be surprised if someone installed it with the aluminum, face down, in the cockpit....
    I purchased the Thermo-tec... EDITED 7/10/19.... I used Thermo Guard, P/N 14130 & 14132 (size difference) heat and sound deadening. It has foil on only one side and does not have adhesive backing. I originally was looking for sound deadening material because I installed a radio. The products I looked at were felt on both sides. Then I found the one sided foil, I felt it would suit my needs. At the time, I read that the foil should be to the heat side.

I installed it on the inside of the cockpit, foil down... to the heat side, felt showing. I have seen several people use similar products with foil on both sides, thus you can see foil in peoples pics. Not sure how many people have used the one-sided foil product vs two sided.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-10-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, different Thermo Tec product. Understood. From their website, you used Thermo-Guard, whereas I used Suppressor Acoustical & Heat Control Mat. Didnt know they made different stuff... my bad. Yours probably adds a nice little padding under the carpet. Mine does not. Yours gets glued in, shiny stuff down, mine gets self-adhesive peel n stick, shiny side up.

https://www.thermotec.com/products/s...-heat-barriers
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried this product? Been looking at it for awhile, and it looks interesting. www.carinsulation.com/buycarinsulation.html
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike