Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: connecting lights to the harness

Post Thanks / Like

connecting lights to the harness

The list of items to do before the body goes on keeps getting shorter. This is, obviously, a good thing. Now, if the weather would only cooperate...

Today's challenge is connecting headlights and tail lights to the RF harness wires. I want to test all these connections before the body is on and I lose easy access behind the dashboard. I checked the gauge of the wires with my wire stripper and it would appear (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the RF harness lighting wires are 12 AWG, the headlight wires are 16 AWG and the tail light wires are 18AWG.

I have a few options, and this is where you come in. I have a whole bunch of spade connectors that I can use, and I can mix and match gauges so they all get crimped correctly. Or - I can get weatherpack connectors, but I wonder if I can mix and match gauges (i.e. use a male 18 gauge and a female 12 gauge together). Or I can do something else - as yet unspecified.

Your thoughts? How did you connect lights to the wiring harness?

btw - it was -8 here this morning in suburban Chicago. I shouldn't complain. Magicmarto in Wisconsin noted -23 at his place! How many days until Spring Training starts???
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Weatherpack connectors. The housings accept all different gauges of pin sets. Get the proper gauge pins for each circuit. Match the gauge to the larger of the two if the gauge steps down like the headlight RF wire to the H4 pigtail.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I also highly recommend Weatherpacks. And as stated, the pins (and seals) come in various sizes. You do need the right crimper. And I'd also recommend getting the little pin extraction tool. It's not expensive, and just a small tube with a handle. But you're unlikely to be able to get pins out without damaging something without it. And you will probably need to take some back out. Ask me how I know that. The parts and tools are available at multiple places. I buy mine from DelCity.net. You can buy exactly what you need. I've used their cheaper crimper for all my builds and it does just fine. They also have the extraction tool.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, two votes for weatherpack. I used them in a few places already. Picked up the removal tool not too long ago for 4 bucks and need to use it to change out a wire in another circuit.

The key for me here was if the weatherpack parts are interchangeable relative to the gauge wire they're using. That said, I'm still trying to figure out what Papa means: are the pins themselves different sizes based on wire gauge, or does the gauge size only affect the end you crimp?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the weatherpack connectors too. Money well spent. They are waterproof if assembled correctly. If you need to disconnect them for some reason you only have the one connection.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    OK, two votes for weatherpack. I used them in a few places already. Picked up the removal tool not too long ago for 4 bucks and need to use it to change out a wire in another circuit.

The key for me here was if the weatherpack parts are interchangeable relative to the gauge wire they're using. That said, I'm still trying to figure out what Papa means: are the pins themselves different sizes based on wire gauge, or does the gauge size only affect the end you crimp?
    The pin sets are made for specific gauges, so be sure to use what is appropriate for the wire you are using. I can't really say for sure, but I suspect the 12 gauge pins are a bit thicker than the 16-18 gauge pins. If I get a minute to put them side-by-side and get a picture, I'll post it up here.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used trailer harness connectors. The flat 4 wire for joining up small trailers to your truck. One per light. Thanks Mark Dougherty for that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be clear, the Weatherpack terminals all mate the same regardless of wire gauge size. You can have a 12 gauge pin plug into a 20 gauge socket, for example. The difference is in the crimp area for the bare wire. The tabs that fold over are sized for the intended wire gauge. They're all rated for 20 amps. I'm not sure if the actual material they're made from is any different, e.g. thicker for the heavier wire gauges. But the bottom line is they all connect to each other the same. But don't focus only on size of the terminals. The seals also are sized. https://www.delcity.net/store/Cable-...97663.h_797664
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-26-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just to be clear, the Weatherpack terminals all mate the same regardless of wire gauge size. You can have a 12 gauge pin plug into a 20 gauge socket, for example. The difference is in the crimp area for the bare wire. The tabs that fold over are sized for the intended wire gauge. They're all rated for 20 amps. I'm not sure if the actual material they're made from is any different, e.g. thicker for the heavier wire gauges. But the bottom line is they all connect to each other the same. But don't focus only on size of the terminals. The seals also are sized. https://www.delcity.net/store/Cable-...97663.h_797664
    Thanks' Paul. As always, the man with the answers!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the flat trailer harness connectors.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Weatherpak is the way to go. I used them throughout. Not necessary but I also put a tiny bit of solder on each crimp. The crimp and removal tools from DelCity are cheap but work very well. As Edwardb stated the male and female pins are interchangeable. Look closely, the crimp ends are differentiated by the number of small tabs that fold over to crimp the wires in place.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, gentlemen! This was the info I was looking for!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote on the Weatherpak. I use a small screw driver (jewelers size) to extract pins. Eazy peazy. No crimping. All connection were soldered.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    www.replicaparts.com carries the weather pack connectors in one kit with everything you need.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I also used all weatherpak. Took the time and and added ends to all the lights and and harness. Tested everything and once the body was back on, it was just plug and play. Definitey get the right crimping tool. Once you do the first one you'll understand why it was worth every penny. The extraction tool is great too. You can get them out with a fine screw driver, but the tool is cheap.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06