BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Type 65 vs. Ultima GTR Build

Post Thanks / Like

Type 65 vs. Ultima GTR Build

Hi all, first time poster!

I just placed an order for a Gen III Type 65 and hope to have it in garage by end of March— really looking forward to it!

Quick question: I previously built an Ultima GTR and I'm wondering if anyone else can compare/contrast general build complexity and quality between the two?

If I've built a GTR, do you think I'll find the Type 65 easier? Harder? Just different? I already know I won't have the luxury of buff-and-go like I did on the GTR gelcoat body, but from a mechanical, complexity, fit/finish, and quality standpoint, am I looking at a huge disparity or a small one?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I looked into the Ultima and the SLC a while back, it appeared the complexity of those two were significantly higher than that of the Type 65. The Coupe is a lot more straightforward in terms of design and can be completed mechanically much faster if you go 'by the book'. It'll certainly be different, but having done an Ultima GTR you'll be able to jump right in and have a blast.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, you still have the GTR?
    Really like that car.
    Yeah I think the coupe will be less complex to.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend has a GTR, mostly still in boxes but with many parts. Another friend is building a Type 65 Coupe. I too think the Coupe will be easier.

I also think the Coupe will be less expensive to build.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great to hear! The GTR was really tough, so I was worried I might be in for a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Congrats, you still have the GTR?
    Unfortunately not. Many years ago the helical gear at the end of an MSD distributor disintegrated (apparently they had a bad supplier for a period of time) and ground up in my GTR engine. Right after that happened my wife and I started having kids, so there was always something more pressing to spend money on before rebuilding the engine. So it sat in my garage for about 10 years until I sold it to a friend who I knew would take her back to her glory days. I miss the GTR, but feel like it's dated where the Coupe is timeless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    but feel like it's dated where the Coupe is timeless.
    That's very true.

There are already several Gen 3 kits finished and multiple started and being displayed on various build threads.
    You will find that your fellow builders are always ready to lend a hand whether that's in advise here or physically helping if they are close enough.
    Great group of people here and on ffcars.com

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013