Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Who here has a soft top?

Post Thanks / Like

Who here has a soft top?

May I pick your brain some?
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM Mr Bill. Thanks
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have one as well. Worked with Cad at Rod Tops on some refining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whittaker View Post
    I have one as well. Worked with Cad at Rod Tops on some refining.
    Hi Tim, I am thinking of getting the soft top for my 33 in the near future. On checking my measurements I found it off by 0.5'' on one side and 0.75" on the other side. What kind of refining did you have done?

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sides were good on mine but the rear fabic was about 3/4" too shot all along the back. Sent it back to them and they fixed it. EXCELLENT customer service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, what sort of refinements other than that?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Sides were good on mine but the rear fabic was about 3/4" too shot all along the back. Sent it back to them and they fixed it. EXCELLENT customer service.
    Thanks Tim, I think I will talk to them first before I put in the order. If not I may have to play around with adjusting the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent them an email a while back asking if they had a way to modify the top for me if I chopped down the windshield. I never heard back from them. Kind of disappointed as I do like the rag top look and was planning on going that way. Was just worried about customer service when I never heard back from them.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    TD, I've talked to Chad on the phone at Rod Tops and he was always very helpful, but hard to get a response via email. I don't think the top will work if you chop the windshield for a couple reasons. I have a hard enough time seeing out of the stock height windshield and your head would probably hit the top.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    TD, I've talked to Chad on the phone at Rod Tops and he was always very helpful, but hard to get a response via email. I don't think the top will work if you chop the windshield for a couple reasons. I have a hard enough time seeing out of the stock height windshield and your head would probably hit the top.
    I agree with Bill that the top most likely won't work well if you cut the windshield. Eric Hansen cut one down ( I think ) and you might reach out to him for some info.

My experience with Rod Tops has been stellar and Chad couldn't be better to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got the same problem. What did Chad do to fix it. My top is at his shop presently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I assume they replaced the rear piece with a longer one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemcwilliams View Post
    I’ve got the same problem. What did Chad do to fix it. My top is at his shop presently.
    I am a bit concerned now. I am all the way in Canada and if mine does not fit properly the first time it's a long way to return it, not to mention the cost of shipping.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Would slitting the windshield mount holes and moving it back, or changing the angle slightly, help take up the extra 3/4”?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    My top fit the first time and would recommend it to anyone. If the windshield angle isn't correct the top wont fit, the angle is very important. I think if you modify it at the windshield mount it will effect how everything else fits, including the side curtains.
    CVOBill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clays123 View Post
    I am a bit concerned now. I am all the way in Canada and if mine does not fit properly the first time it's a long way to return it, not to mention the cost of shipping.

Any suggestions?
    Where in Canada ? I'm right on the border in B.C. if it's not to far to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in Canada ? I'm right on the border in B.C. if it's not to far to drive.
    Hi Tim,

I am in Brampton Ontario, about thirty five minutes north west of Toronto. A bit of a drive to the BC border.

Post Thanks / Like
    My top fit the first time and would recommend it to anyone. If the windshield angle isn't correct the top wont fit, the angle is very important. I think if you modify it at the windshield mount it will effect how everything else fits, including the side curtains.
    Do you know what the angle should be? I tried to find it in the manual but no luck.
    Thanks very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clays123 View Post
    Do you know what the angle should be? I tried to find it in the manual but no luck.
    Thanks very much.
    Rod Tops has a specific measurement on line that is from the frame to a step on the rear part of the door opening that can be checked as well. It's a PDF file on the info for the top on either FFFR's 33 parts site or Rod Tops site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rod Tops has a specific measurement on line that is from the frame to a step on the rear part of the door opening that can be checked as well. It's a PDF file on the info for the top on either FFFR's 33 parts site or Rod Tops site.
    Ok great, I will check that measurement with what I have. Thanks very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on getting the rag top as well and not too far from installing the windshield so I searched and found the measurements.

From the top edge of the windshield to the top back (inside) of the door it should be 31" on both sides. Additionally, from the same spot on the windshield it is 32" on both sides for the mounting clevis.

Here is a clip from the manual.

Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so I shaved a bit of the ridge off and a bit of adjustments I have the windshield fit perfectly, all measurements spot on.
    New problem though. I have the 1/2 " to 3/4" gap at the centre of the back where the soft top meets the body. I see where Tim and Steve had the same problem. I am about to call FFR and Rod Tops for a fix, shipping to and from Canada can be very expensive.

Does anybody have a fix for this issue? Would love to know.

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay,
    Do you have the adjusters tight on the rear? The one with the ball socket on the bottom and the rounded end on the top?
    CVOBill

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay,
    Do you have the adjusters tight on the rear? The one with the ball socket on the bottom and the rounded end on the top?
    Hi Bill,
    I did open up the adjusters and saw the gap close a bit. I spoke to Chad at Rod Tops and he said sometimes the body may be low in that spot and needs to raise a bit but I have not tried that yet. i will look at it later and let you know the outcome.

Thanks very much for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    here are some pictures after installation.

Soft Top Install4.JPG Soft Top Install2.JPGSoft Top Install5.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemcwilliams View Post
    So did Chad fix your top yet, if so how did he fix it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tim,

Could you post a few pictures of before and after if you can? Or maybe just the refined product how it fits after the adjustment? I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Checking in to see how the soft top worked out Clay. I'm on the verge of ditching my hard top and ordering a soft top from Rod Tops. I did some prelim measuring this morning and see that I'll need to adjust my windshield a bit. I have the same discrepancies from side to side that others have mentioned.
    33 HotRod #1142
    Started 5-9-19
    Kingwood, Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael101 View Post
    Checking in to see how the soft top worked out Clay. I'm on the verge of ditching my hard top and ordering a soft top from Rod Tops. I did some prelim measuring this morning and see that I'll need to adjust my windshield a bit. I have the same discrepancies from side to side that others have mentioned.
    I have soft top too from Rod Tops, fit was awesome right out of the box. The only issue I had was I got two driver's side curtains but to someone's point above, I just called and they sent me the correct one immediately. Great customer service.

On the 2nd pic below I don't have the curtains tucked in under the top in the back like I should but I was just checking fit.

I will really only ever use the top & side curtains for storage in winter. If I go on a trip I'll take the top with me but that will be rare.

Jim

20210521_084913.jpg 20210521_090934.jpg
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

31. Thanks shmelty thanked for this post
    Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim! That looks great.
    I talked with Chad yesterday just to discuss some of my dimensional challenges. Sounds like there is some flexibility with the soft top and I should be good to go. I’m hoping to get some color samples from him to see if one of the reddish colors might work. I’ll be call FF soon to order.
    33 HotRod #1142
    Started 5-9-19
    Kingwood, Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael101 View Post
    Thanks Jim! That looks great.
    I talked with Chad yesterday just to discuss some of my dimensional challenges. Sounds like there is some flexibility with the soft top and I should be good to go. I’m hoping to get some color samples from him to see if one of the reddish colors might work. I’ll be call FF soon to order.
    Definitely flexibility. There is one dimension from the top of the windshield to the door post that is supposed to be 32" according to the manual and I'm like 32-3/16" and had no issues with fit at all. There is a lot of adjustability in the top frame to make up minor dimensional differences. Obviously if your miles away like an inch or so you'll have problems but fraction of inches you should be fine.

Great quality on the product

Good luck.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine fit perfect right out of the box. It did take a little adjustment to get everything to fit perfectly but it's a great top and looks perfect. Highly reccomend.