Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  160
Likes Likes:  288

Thread: Greek Guys' Garage Roadster Build #9509 (Nice shoutout on Insta about my build)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, and finding it helpful. Honestly, I would never have had the nerve to take on a project like this were it not for the incredible build threads that others have posted here. Most of what I do I've copied from what others have done, so I'm very glad to hear that something I've posted can be of use to you or others. I'm really enjoying the build so far, and I'm sure you will too. It sounds like you're spending a bunch of time reading build threads before you start. That's so smart. I revised my plan in my head countless times as a result of seeing what others have done before me. It's definitely easier to change plans before you've done that part of the build. It sometimes entails re-buying parts, but I think that's to be expected, to some extent. The more research you do now, the less part re-purchasing you'll have down the road.

As far as the lift goes, I'm glad that's helpful. I can see that a 2-post lift would be an advantage over a 4-post lift in some situations, but that just wasn't an option for me due to my garage ceiling height. I'm very happy with the 4-post so far. No way my back could have handled building this car on jack stands. FWIW- I have the chassis on jacks and stands now, as I showed in the other thread, but for a long time it was just sitting on the frame cart. It wasn't until recently that the cart got in the way of things like brake and fuel line routing, but you'll be able to just roll the frame cart directly onto the 4 post lift, lock the casters, and get to work.

Edited to add: In the interest of full disclosure, getting the chassis off the frame cart and onto it's wheels (and eventually onto jacks and stands) was a bit of a "three Stooges trying to solve a Rubik's cube" affair. If you decide to go this route, build your frame cart in a way that it can be disassembled from below. What I ended up doing was jacking up one side, unscrewing the center brace from underneath, removing the cross brace from the side that was raised, and then repeating on the other side. Sounds easy but it took a while to get it without crushing myself in the process. You just want to give some thought as to how you're going to get the car off the cart down the road. I suppose I could have rolled the entire thing off the 4-post lift into the driveway and dealt with it there, but I didn't have any helpers around that day.

Last edited by JohnK; 08-23-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

2. Likes GTBradley liked this post