Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Father/Son build #9009 Portland OR

Post Thanks / Like

Father/Son build #9009 Portland OR

After 16 years on the bucket list since my son was born, we have finally began our Cobra build. It arrived late January and so far we have front and rear suspension in, and working on prepping aluminum panels in order to get all panels needing powerdercoating all done at once. This build is primarily about a father son project, learn some life lessons along the way and have a fun car to experience for years to come. Build goals are a fun car to build, with a few unique features, and a fun car to drive on the street. Plan so far is

Complete kit
    coyote
    TKO 600
    power steering
    3 link rear end 3.55 dif ratio
    Burgundy Solid color
    Tan or cream interior
    Ultrashield Rally Sport Seats
    heated seats
    duel roll bars
    FF appearance package (Halibrand wheels, chrome roll bars, chrome sidepipes, bumpers, visors)
    Hydraulic clutch

So far the most difficult part has been coordinating a teenager with a job and an airline schedule. Part of those life lessons. Still, with spring break coming up the goal is powder coating done, brake and clutch pedals in, fuel tank in, brake and fuel lines ran by the end of March. We're newbies so open to all suggestions. We joined and attended the local Cobra Club, Cascade Cobras and looking forward to getting to know everyone there. Enjoying the adventure so far, and looking forward to where it takes us.

Randy
    Last edited by Royteamcobra; 03-31-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard Randy & Son!

1. We've been plugging away at ours for just over two years with a few stops along the way.
    2. Enjoy the time working with your son as I have with mine.
    3. There are many great memories to be made!
    4. Here are a few of ours:

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the build. Look forward to following your progress.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    NOTE: Check out the build thread from EdwardB.
    ......... He knows these cars backwards and forwards and has documented the living heck out of his last two builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad has no interest in cars. My son loves cars but has no interest in taking things apart so the trend is that the mechanical bug skips a generation in my family. I had no intention of waiting for grand children to start my build. Enjoy the time with your son and the build.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Great father/son project, best of luck and enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the welcomes

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    NOTE: Check out the build thread from EdwardB.
    ......... He knows these cars backwards and forwards and has documented the living heck out of his last two builds.
    Yes, Paul's thread is one of my favorite. He really sets the build bar high! Read it a few times and saved a few entries for later reference. Thanks for the tip!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Royteamcobra View Post
    Yes, Paul's thread is one of my favorite. He really sets the build bar high! Read it a few times and saved a few entries for later reference. Thanks for the tip!

Randy
    Thanks for the shout out! Glad the build thread(s) had something you could use. I have a bunch of family in Oregon. An uncle and family in the Portland area, and parents and brothers/sisters in the Klamath Falls area. We were just there a couple months ago, and try to make it once or twice a year. One of my favorite parts of the country. Lots of great cruising roads and scenery. I've said to my wife more than once wish we could bring the Roadster there.

Good luck with your build!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Many cobra roads

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Thanks for the shout out! Glad the build thread(s) had something you could use. I have a bunch of family in Oregon. An uncle and family in the Portland area, and parents and brothers/sisters in the Klamath Falls area. We were just there a couple months ago, and try to make it once or twice a year. One of my favorite parts of the country. Lots of great cruising roads and scenery. I've said to my wife more than once wish we could bring the Roadster there.

Good luck with your build!
    Anytime you are back in the Portland area you can come by and give us some pointers Paul. We're looking forward to our drives once the build is done. I'm sure it's a whole new experience in the cobra.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,
    Welcome. I live in Beavercreek. If I can be any help, let me know. All my stuff is old MKII with Windsor power. Been at it a while though. First FFR car built in 2002. Have been active with Cascade Cobra Club since it started in 03 (I think)...charter member.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Powell View Post
    Randy,
    Welcome. I live in Beavercreek. If I can be any help, let me know. All my stuff is old MKII with Windsor power. Been at it a while though. First FFR car built in 2002. Have been active with Cascade Cobra Club since it started in 03 (I think)...charter member.
    Thanks Steve. Appreciate the offer, and good chance I'll take you up on that. Looking forward to meeting you and the others in he club. We've been to the last two meetings and really enjoyed it. Planning on being at the Roadster Show Sunday. If you know of or hear of recommendations for paint and upholstery we are still looking.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Been too long for an update. To be honest, I was getting a little discouraged with the slow progress. Only getting a day or two a week with our difficult schedules. And with most of that drilling and prepping panels, getting ready for powder-coat, not much looked like it was getting done. Thank heavens for spring break. We both took the week off and it's starting to look like something. Went with the hammer black powder-coat for the engine compartment. Going to use bed liner for exterior surfaces, lizard skin for the cockpit.

After spraying some of that can bed liner from home depot on the exterior of the F panels, wondering if we just should have used that for everything. It goes on really nice an seems pretty durable. Doesn't come out of the can real smooth though. After getting the engine panels on, stopped with aluminum till we get to the brake lines. We are using the inline shutoff valve from Breeze for the E-brake. So, need to orient that and had to make a patch where the e-brake usually goes. engine compartment.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So is that fuel pump suppose to be a challenge to put in? Finally got it oriented and in, but man. Even called Mark at Breeze to find out if it really went in there. Also asked why there was a cap on the return line. Yep, totally newbie question. It wasn't a cap, but a restrictor so you don't hear fuel flowing back in the engine after you shut the motor down. Yep, there was a slit at the bottom. fuel pump.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, you are not alone. I think that fuel pump is designed to make you second guess your ability, desire and commitment. I remember thinking, I'm on page 5 of 10,000 in this manual and I can't even insert a fuel pump. When it finally went in and didn't break I called it a day. It gets better.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, never thought it'd take this long but we make plans and life happens. Time to officially graduate 9009 as shegot registered yesterday. Looking forward to miles of smiles now20230510_164309.jpg20230510_164348.jpg20230510_164415.jpg20230510_164526.jpg20230510_164632.jpg.

16. Likes Fman, 460.465USMC, finleycraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice randy, I am at the other end of the spectrum, kit hopefully arriving in late June. I am in the burbs.