Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PB and son MK4 build thread by wallace18

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom, have been following your thread and after today's entry wondered since you, and almost everyone else, cant the radiators at +/- 51 degrees, would it be more efficient to have the radiators made with the vanes to sit horizontal after the installation? I obviously have too much time since I am not building yet. But is that a crazy thought? I understand the angle is to fit the body, but does anyone need that extra fractional cooling? Thanks, Anthony

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpantFL View Post
    Hi Tom, have been following your thread and after today's entry wondered since you, and almost everyone else, cant the radiators at +/- 51 degrees, would it be more efficient to have the radiators made with the vanes to sit horizontal after the installation? I obviously have too much time since I am not building yet. But is that a crazy thought? I understand the angle is to fit the body, but does anyone need that extra fractional cooling? Thanks, Anthony
    With the radiator shroud I had zero issues even with A/C in a MK4 in HOT Florida weather. I really think it is not an issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I filled all engine, transmission and rear end fluids.I installed seat sliders on drivers seat and mounted both seats in cockpit. I also mocked up roll bar mounts and drilled all holes. Padded dash came in today but had a blemish. We are hoping FFR will replace it.

fullsizeoutput_1b2.jpegIMG_3714.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Today I filled all engine, transmission and rear end fluids.I installed seat sliders on drivers seat and mounted both seats in cockpit. I also mocked up roll bar mounts and drilled all holes. Padded dash came in today but had a blemish. We are hoping FFR will replace it.

fullsizeoutput_1b2.jpegIMG_3714.JPG
    My dash pad had a blemish as well, FF is sending a new piece. Question, do you put sealer between the panels and frame/panels, or just seal it up after its all together?
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    My dash pad had a blemish as well, FF is sending a new piece. Question, do you put sealer between the panels and frame/panels, or just seal it up after its all together?
    Both. The GE silicone II is a great adhesive as well as a sealer. There are always gaps that need sealing after aluminum panels are in place.

6. Thanks Higgybulin thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up drilling and installing drivers side roll bar bolts. Also installed new trunk arms for gas struts and mounted them as well. I also installed the F.A.S.T. cable bracket for the throttle cable. If you have Sniper EFI get this bracket it is made for it. Replacement dash came a day early. This one is perfect, no faults. I installed glove box door and epoxy the door, hinges and inside aluminum. I engine turned inside aluminum as per my wife Marsha. It does look better than plain aluminum. 24 hour cure time so no dash install till Thursday.

IMG_3721.JPGIMG_3722.JPGIMG_3723.JPGIMG_3719.JPGIMG_3720.JPGIMG_3724.JPG

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had to spend the morning helping out my buddy Jerry with his 33. After lunch I was able to install coolant reservoir tank only to find out it had a bad weld on the bottom and leaks. For will send a replacement. All part of the fun, LOL. I did manage to put together the new S/S hood hinges and the sun visors and wind wings. I leave the paper on till final install to minimize scratches. Still waiting on epoxy to dry for glove box.

IMG_3725.JPGIMG_3726.JPGIMG_3727.JPGIMG_3728.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to spend the morning helping out my buddy Jerry with his 33. After lunch I was able to install coolant reservoir tank only to find out it had a bad weld on the bottom and leaks. For will send a replacement. All part of the fun, LOL. I did manage to put together the new S/S hood hinges and the sun visors and wind wings. I leave the paper on till final install to minimize scratches. Still waiting on epoxy to dry for glove box.

IMG_3725.JPGIMG_3726.JPGIMG_3727.JPGIMG_3728.JPG
    Love the rad shroud!!
    SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Glove box door epoxy finally dry. Still missing lock tab to close and lock door. FFR has one on the way. I was able to install gauges and switches. The dash only comes with holes for 7 gauges and 3 switches. I needed to add Hi/Lo beam switch, emergency rad fan switch, clock reset button, trip meter reset button, L&R self cancelling turn signal buttons and gauge dimmer knob. Still not sure why there is only one reset buttoned cord in Vintage gauge kit. You need 2 so you can reset tripmeter and clock once car is finished. I buy about 6 a year from Speedhut so my cars are easy to operate. I had to modify Replicaparts steering hole trim ring for padded dash. Really makes that hole look so much better, IMO. I am waiting on headers, rear calipers and lock tab. I have PB and NB coming up on the 28th for a work day. So I am holding off on some things so they can do some things when they come up. Bad weather due here tomorrow and I have a car show in Alachua on Sunday. So no MK4 work till next week.

IMG_3729.JPGIMG_3730.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question, we got these kits about the same time. Your accelerator pedal install...my bracket already has like 4 holes in it, did you use the top left hole and still have to drill a hole to line it up vertically? I cant get a good look at it in your pic.
    SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#9579 View Post
    Quick question, we got these kits about the same time. Your accelerator pedal install...my bracket already has like 4 holes in it, did you use the top left hole and still have to drill a hole to line it up vertically? I cant get a good look at it in your pic.
    Yes I did. It is normal to have to drill your own holes sometimes.

14. Thanks Higgybulin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see you busy on another build Tom. I was wondering what you were doing now because I enjoy reading your builds you always find a way to make things work out right. I do the same thing but I don't have as good of luck as you do mine don't always work out and I have to end up doing something else. The build is looking good and I am like you that 427 motor sure looks good that and the transmission. That is a nice package from Blueprint but cost some bucks I have been looking at the same one. Have a good day Tom and good to read from you again. I think you like your Gator Basketball as much as I like my Bulldog Football

Post Thanks / Like
    Glove box lock tab came Friday. This allowed me to mount the dash. I used industrial velcro this time on 90 degree brackets I installed on the dash hoop. It made for a clean look to the dash, IMO. Installed dash support also. Will spend rest of week on dash wiring. I have another car show Saturday and PB& CB will be here Sunday. I still tap the ends with a 1/4-20 tap and screw them to the frame. Steering wheel is just a mock up wheel I use during build. I wait till car is done for the kit wheel.

IMG_3736.JPGIMG_3737.JPGIMG_3738.JPGIMG_3739.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wired up every thing on the dash today. All works and no smoke, LOL. Also installed x-mat on drivers foot box area. I really like the self cancelling Turn signals. Also how now indicator lights in speedo vs separate lights as in the past. Sniper EFI all wired up as well.

IMG_3740.JPGIMG_3746.JPGIMG_3744.JPGIMG_3741.JPG

18. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Installed 2 lower dash braces. Also installed the tops of the drivers foot box. I pulled out the spark plugs and turned engine over till I got oil pressure. I then put 7.5 gallons of gas in fuel tank. Ran fuel pump from Sniper and checked for leaks. None to be found. Tested impact sensor and hooked all back up. Turned the key and the engine fired right up with 60 PSI oil pressure. I only ran it for 8 seconds due to no headers and no O2 sensor yet. Nice to know it runs. Nothing else to do till PB and Cb come up on Sunday. We will install x-mat and some parts on hood. Maybe trunk also.

IMG_3749.JPGIMG_3750.JPGIMG_3748.JPG

20. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pablo and Nico could only come up for 3 hours today. They installed the X-Mat in the cockpit today. They decided on Chris Dobbs to do the paint and bodywork. So I will finish the MK4 and then deliver to Chris when all the parts come in and I am done. We will paint with the body on the car this time. We did start the engine for 8 seconds so they could hear it run and see the blue flames, LOL

IMG_3759.JPGIMG_3760.JPGIMG_3761.JPG

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-28-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added video

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom the build is looking great and moving along good. You cranked the car up but there was no sound at all and I bet that 427 sounds good too. Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sturigus83 View Post
    Tom the build is looking great and moving along good. You cranked the car up but there was no sound at all and I bet that 427 sounds good too. Keep up the good work.
    Not sure what you mean. I hear the sound on the video every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday was my lovely wife Marsha's Birthday, so no car work. Today I started on carpet. The new trunk carpet fit really well. I got the 2 front center carpet parts in as well. Hope to finish all the carpet up tomorrow. Also installed the bulb seal on the chassis.

IMG_3762.JPGIMG_3764.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up carpet. Installed seats, seat belts, trim rings, shifter boot and E-brake boot. Going out of town till Monday. Still waiting on parts from FFR.

IMG_3765.JPGIMG_3766.JPGIMG_3767.JPGIMG_3768.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the headers showed up late yesterday. The box was damaged but the contents was fine, Whew! Today I installed the headers. I like to use Remflex header gaskets. You torque them once and you are done. Then I install Stage-8 bolts and locks. 11 V-8 builds this way and no header leaks around the heads after many miles.I had to go buy some ignition wire socks so the ends would not get burned by the headers. I like to use ceramic ends myself but these wires came with the Blueprint engine. I also installed the hood hinge parts as well as the handles. Also cut off for hood scoop. I have to drive church bus all day tomorrow so I will get back at it on Friday. Still waiting on those rear brake calipers.

IMG_3781.JPGIMG_3784.JPGIMG_3787.JPGIMG_3788.JPGIMG_3789.JPGIMG_3792.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the whole morning getting rear brake calipers for this build. With the help from Jay at FFR I got 2 coming in tomorrow from AutoZone. I did get to undercoat the body with truck bedliner today. It not only protects the fiberglass but makes for a better looking car IMO. Will TIG weld O2 bung on Monday and get brakes done so I can go-cart. Then install body. Hope to get it out for paint and body work by June 1st.

IMG_3793.JPGIMG_3794.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed modified 88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear calipers and Marsha helped bleed brakes. Chris came by and TIG welded o2 bung in drivers side pipe. Mounted side pipes and ran engine till t-Stat opened and fans came on. Engine ran at a steady 185 degree and has good throttle response. Idle is not real good and starter is not working as well as it should. Also engine shuts off when air cleaner is installed. I called BluePrint and they sent me some info and are looking into my idle and starter problems. Hopefully all we be well by end of the week and I can go-cart.

IMG_3811.JPGIMG_3813.JPGIMG_3814.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent most of the morning trying to get engine stuff figured out. Must wait on some parts. I did do the front end alignment using laser off the rear tires. Got a perfect -0.5 Camber and 7 degrees of caster with 1/6" toe. Steering wheel centered great as well. I worked on mounting the hood scoop, trunk light and latch. Staying busy till parts come in.

IMG_3820.JPGIMG_3821.JPGIMG_3822.JPGIMG_3823.JPGIMG_3824.JPG

30. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While waiting on some parts to come in around noon, I went and drilled the holes for the fuel filler cap and installed the sun visor clips on the windshield. Note* to first time builders do not install these sun visor tabs without removing the windshield frame first. It only takes 4 screws to remove frame with the help of some window cleaner. Then tap the holes and install the tabs. As you can see in the photo the screw protrude enough they would crack the windshield. I trim the screws flush with mu dremel tool. The after applying liberal amount of windex like stuff the frame just slides on the rubber, no cracks! the windex dries and everything is nice and tight. Noon I picked up a 600HP FiTech unit and replaced the troublesome Sniper unit. Viola, the engine cranked right up and in 5 minutes of tuning ran and started perfect even with the air cleaner on. Blueprint as well as myself have no idea why the Sniper would shut off when you install the air cleaner base plate. Evidently they are really susceptible to RF interference unlike the FiTech which could care less. All I know is Pablo has a great running engine now. Video and go--cart slated for tomorrow.

IMG_3825.JPGIMG_3826.JPGIMG_3828.JPGIMG_3829.JPGIMG_3832.JPGIMG_3833.JPG

32. Likes FF33rod, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is video of the engine now running with FiTech and air cleaner on.

Last edited by wallace18; 05-17-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: text fix

34. Likes FF33rod, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is video of go-cart up my driveway. I drove car around neighborhood it is scary fast and powerful. Breaks tires loose in any gear with just a slight tap of the throttle. Hope to put body on today after lunch with some help from my hot rod buddies.

36. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds SOOOOOO darn good....
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 4 of my buddies come over after lunch and we set the body on the chassis. Seems to fit real nice. I only had time to bolt it down with the rear bumpers today. Try to do a little this weekend, though I normally take the weekend off. That Sniper held me up a few days, LOL.

IMG_3840.JPGIMG_3841.JPGIMG_3842.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a few hours to work on the MK4 this morning. I finished up the front body mounting. Installed front and rear lights.

IMG_3843.JPGIMG_3844.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a lot done today. I mounted the hood, windshield, center rear view mirror and doors. Chris wants to do all the gaping this time so I just made them fit for now. Chris is also going to modify the doors for extra elbow room like Mine and Bill's MK4's. I always buy door panels from Herb for my customers, They make the inside of the door look so much better plus give you a place for your cell phone, ETC.

IMG_3856.JPGIMG_3858.JPGIMG_3860.JPGIMG_3861.JPGIMG_3863.JPGIMG_3865.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, Tom. That car sounds fierce. Would like to see a longer go-kart video. PB and son are going to be pleased as punch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Another great looking build! I always enjoy following along with your builds. Of course, it makes me feel quite inadequate as I am still building, and you are making short work of things.

I don't recall reading about color choice. Have they selected a color for Chris to lay down?

Keep up the good work Tom!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Tom-

Another great looking build! I always enjoy following along with your builds. Of course, it makes me feel quite inadequate as I am still building, and you are making short work of things.

I don't recall reading about color choice. Have they selected a color for Chris to lay down?

Keep up the good work Tom!!

Regards,

Steve

No final choice yet. Though it will be some sort of blue with white stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted trunk lid. The new FFR gas strut kit is really fantastic, no strain on the lid when closed as aftermarket ones used to bow up trunk lid. I clearance the body for the roll bars and drilled for the grommets. I wired up the front lights and tail lights. I also clearance for the side pipes and installed heat shields. Coming along very nice.

IMG_3866.JPGIMG_3867.JPGIMG_3868.JPGIMG_3869.JPGIMG_3870.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have ordered the 16590 gas strut kit for the trunk. Do you have any pictures of it installed? Can't really se it well in the last post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    I have ordered the 16590 gas strut kit for the trunk. Do you have any pictures of it installed? Can't really se it well in the last post.
    Kinda hard to get a good photo for you with body and belts in place. Here is the best I can do for you. Hope it helps.

IMG_3872.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had Marsha help me locate the side mirrors. Then I mocked up splash shields and radiator aluminum. I will coat all of this with black bedliner material. Got awful close to 100 in the shop this afternoon. Way too hot for May in FL.

IMG_3871.JPGIMG_3876.JPGIMG_3877.JPGIMG_3878.JPGIMG_3879.JPG

48. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda hard to get a good photo for you with body and belts in place. Here is the best I can do for you. Hope it helps.

IMG_3872.JPG
    Perfect! Looks good, thank you very much. Feels good to see this stuff. Gonna be a while before I see the kit in person for me. It should be finished first week of July, then they will hold it three to five weeks to minimize back order parts due to it being an export case, then another month or so in shipping. Gonna be a looong summer....

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting closer to taking car to painter. I installed the fuel filler, hoses, clamps and ground wire. I also filled in gaps at front of rear wheel weld opening. Not sure why FFR left this part out of their manual. I start off with expanding foam tape, then some black silicone then a aluminum plate I make up covered in truck bed liner. Seals up that area very nice. I also engine turned a aluminum panel for the top of the radiator to keep air going thru the radiator instead of over top of it. I removed seats, lights, roll bars, ETC for painter.

IMG_3880.JPGIMG_3881.JPGIMG_3882.JPGIMG_3883.JPGIMG_3884.JPGIMG_3885.JPGIMG_3886.JPG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast