Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PB and son MK4 build thread by wallace18

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PB and son MK4 build thread by wallace18

We are going to be starting a MK4 build in March. PB and his son will be coming up to my shop on days they can to help in the build of their MK4. The kit and drivetrain was ordered yesterday. I really look forward to helping a Dad and his son live out a dream of building a car together. I will be doing some of the work, but also helping them in the hands on build process. We hope to have the car go out for paint somewhere near June. Below is a list of what we are starting with.

MK4 complete kit , powder coated chassis, 351 headers, body cut outs, leather seat upgrade, P/S, 3-link, 8.8 -3:55 Moser rear end, vintage GPS gauges, 17x9/10.5 halibrand replica wheels, S/S over-riders, S/S side pipes, wind wings, sun visors, vinyl dash with glovebox, floor mats, EFI fuel system, chrome driver and passenger roll bars with grommets, 11.65 rear brakes, trunk gas support, assembled side louvers, drivers seat track and center dash support.

Engine and transmission will come from Blue Print and will be a 427 FI with alt, P/S and TKO 600 package. A really nice combo picked out by PB.

We will be getting some additional parts from the following FFR forum vendors. I will be ordering this stuff below today so as many of the parts we need will be here when the kit arrives. Only the POL parts will be holding us up. Hopefully not many of those.

From Replicaparts
    seat belt trim plates, steering hole trim plate, radiator shroud and weather stripping package.

From Breeze Automotive
    Upper and lower radiator mount kits

From Finish Line
    side pipe heat shields

From Whitby Motorcars
    Power brake package

From Boig Motorsports
    Upper and lower coolant pipes

All this and a few parts I give as part of my build will really make for a very nice MK4.

All 3 of us are very excited. Stay tuned for updates down the road. As always I will post every day we work on the car.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-10-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added parts

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parts from FFR forum vendors starting to trickle in. Today the Breeze upper and lower radiator supports came in. Really nice stuff that will allow for angle adjustment as well as keep the radiator from cracking down the road.

IMG_3484.JPGIMG_3485.JPGIMG_3486.JPG

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After coming home from a weeks trip up north to visit family in PA and NC some parts came in. Lizard Skin, self canceling turn signal module from Speedway. Fan shroud, seat belt trim rings, steering shaft trim ring and weather strip package all from Replicaparts.
    http://replicaparts.com

IMG_3487.JPGIMG_3488.JPGIMG_3489.JPG

6. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Door panels from Herb came in. I always get a set of these and give them as a bonus gift to my customers. They really finish off the inside of the door so nice, IMO.

IMG_3490.JPG

8. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finish-line goodies came in yesterday. Front grommets, emblems and side pipe heat shields. Still waiting on Whitby Power brake deal. Then all that will be left is kit and Blue print stuff.

IMG_3495.JPGIMG_3496.JPG

10. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Power Brake kit from Whitby came last Friday. Going to paint the booster and bracket black today. We now have all our outside vendor parts. Kit should be done at FFR and waiting on Stewart to deliver here soon, I hope!

IMG_3509.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    A present from Moser came today via UPS.

IMG_3543.JPGIMG_3544.JPGIMG_3545.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    A present from Moser came today via UPS.

IMG_3543.JPGIMG_3544.JPGIMG_3545.JPG
    That box is something else to get into, aint it?!?!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim from Stewart came today with the Brizi MK4. What a great guy Jim is! I had Marsha, Jerry, Dave, Art and myself help with everything. All went smooth as silk.

IMG_3563.JPGIMG_3557.JPGIMG_3560.JPGIMG_3562.JPGIMG_3564.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here it is safe and sound in my shop on the lift.

IMG_3568.JPGIMG_3569.JPGIMG_3567.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like your getting ready to have a lot of fun. I built a 33 hot rod, I would like to build a Mk4 someday

Post Thanks / Like
    Took body off of chassis this morning with help from Art and Jerry. On body buck and safe on top of my 4-post lift.

IMG_3571.JPGIMG_3572.JPGIMG_3573.JPGIMG_3574.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Pablo gave me the go ahead to do inventory and start on the build. He is not sure when or how many times he and his son will be able to come up to work on the MK4. So they feel part of the process I am taking more photos of everything I do. Today was a busy day, After removing the body as posted above. I did inventory with my buddy Jerry helping. We go everything but the wheel boxes done. I also drilled the front splash plates and will cover them with bed liner tomorrow. I also painted a few parts. It seems that now a lot of the brackets are S/S. Wow that is great, no painting needed if you don't want to. Here is a ton of pics in the next few posts. LOL.

IMG_3575.JPGIMG_3576.JPGIMG_3577.JPGIMG_3578.JPGIMG_3579.JPGIMG_3580.JPGIMG_3581.JPG

19. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last of boxes for today, LOL. Unfortunately 37 items are POL or back ordered as I like to say. Hopefully they will be shipped to me soon. Still plenty of stuff to stay busy. Engine/transmission coming soon also from Blueprint.

IMG_3592.JPGIMG_3593.JPGIMG_3594.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-12-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added text.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unpacked the wheels today. Boy are they nice! Painted some bare metal stuff today. Coated front engine aluminum with bed liner and installed on frame. Assembled emergency brake handle assembly. Also mocked up drivers for box, firewall and modified drivers side for power brake booster. Hope to mock up Passenger side foot box tomorrow.

IMG_3595.JPGIMG_3596.JPGIMG_3597.JPGIMG_3600.JPGIMG_3601.JPGIMG_3602.JPGIMG_3603.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Not planning to install a brake booster but noticed you cut part of the frame to install. Will you end up tying that part back together?
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Not planning to install a brake booster but noticed you cut part of the frame to install. Will you end up tying that part back together?
    Yes that part comes with power brake kit from Whitby. You will see in a later post.

25. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mocked up passenger foot box, floors and cockpit side aluminum. Made firewall brace. Scuffed and acetone cleaned parts to be coated. Coated firewall and foot boxes with Lizard Skin. painted front calipers and assembled them. Plus I took off from 12-3 to watch Gator Basketball game!

IMG_3604.JPGIMG_3605.JPGIMG_3608.JPGIMG_3614.JPGIMG_3615.JPGIMG_3613.JPGIMG_3616.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-14-2019 at 04:29 PM.

27. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only had 2 hours to work on MK4 today. Spent morning helping my painter put roofing tin up on his new shop and watch my Gator B-Ball team beat LSU!. I did mock up rear cockpit aluminum and tires showed up today.

IMG_3617.JPGIMG_3618.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Making short work of things, as always! You always seem to have a speed to your builds that I just cannot emulate, but I really do admire!

What tires did PB select; they look nice.

Oh, and I didn't realize that the Gators had a basketball team. ;-o) They beat a really good LSU team, too!

I look forward to following along on this build too Tom, and I really appreciate your posts.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Tom-

Making short work of things, as always! You always seem to have a speed to your builds that I just cannot emulate, but I really do admire!

What tires did PB select; they look nice.

Oh, and I didn't realize that the Gators had a basketball team. ;-o) They beat a really good LSU team, too!

I look forward to following along on this build too Tom, and I really appreciate your posts.

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve. They are NITTO 555 G2's. 245/45R17 front and 315/35R17 rears. I have used these on 4 MK4's so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent a couple hours this morning due to missing yesterday AM. Mocked up transmission tunnel top and all of trunk aluminum. Installed fire walls and front of drivers foot box.
    Taking rest of weekend off. Watching B-Ball.

IMG_3621.JPGIMG_3622.JPGIMG_3623.JPGIMG_3624.JPGIMG_3625.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I scuffed, cleaned with acetone and coated the drilled aluminum with bed liner in key areas. Also installed Power Brake booster, master cylinder and Wilwood pedal box. Installed the pillow block and steering shaft flange bearing as well as 2 rear most steering shafts and u-joint.

IMG_3626.JPGIMG_3627.JPGIMG_3628.JPGIMG_3629.JPGIMG_3630.JPGIMG_3631.JPG

33. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I painted some of the rear disc brake parts. I also had the tires mounted and balanced on the rims by Discount tire who Pablo bought the tires online from. I was not at all happy with how the brake pin on the Whitby Power brake kit pedal was lining up with the booster rod. It was low, made the pedal real low and binding was occurring on depressing the pedal. I ground off the weld to the pin. Then i let everything fall into place and used some anti-seize to mark new location. Drilled and welded pin into new location. Now it lines up perfect and operates smoothly. If you go the Whitby Power Brake kit way be prepared to do some mods. IMO it is very much worth it. Mounted gas pedal, throttle cable and clutch cable as well and made sure of proper smooth operation. Tweaking is necessary, LOL.

IMG_3638.JPGIMG_3637.JPGIMG_3632.JPGIMG_3633.JPGIMG_3634.JPGIMG_3635.JPG

35. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom thanks for the link I always enjoy reading your builds because there is always something to learn. Tom did they fix the Moser rear end where you didn't have to modify things or is still the same way. I know at one time everyone that had one was having problems trying to install them. I am glade your on another build what number of build is this for you I know you have don't a lot of them. Have a good day Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sturigus83 View Post
    Tom thanks for the link I always enjoy reading your builds because there is always something to learn. Tom did they fix the Moser rear end where you didn't have to modify things or is still the same way. I know at one time everyone that had one was having problems trying to install them. I am glade your on another build what number of build is this for you I know you have don't a lot of them. Have a good day Tom.
    The last 2 I installed I had no problems. You always have to drill the LCA holes to 1/2" if you have a Moser or OEM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed the brake lines and plumbed the master to the reservoir. I also installed the drivers floor so I could route the rear brake line. I am taking the next 2 days off. Pablo coming up on Sunday to do some work on his MK4. I am trying to do the dirty and tedious stuff. Leave the fun stuff for him and his son.

IMG_3639.JPGIMG_3640.JPGIMG_3641.JPGIMG_3642.JPGIMG_3643.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom I was wondering what is the brand name of that lift you have in your shop and have you had any problems with it ? I am looking to put one in my shop and have been reading about them for awhile. I put six inches in the floor when we poured it so I am not worried about that part I have a 12 foot ceiling and I mean 12 ft. I have no room to play with there. Any information would be good because I am just looking right now but I will have one before I build my 33.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is from Direct lift. I would not buy another from them. I have a 2-post and a 4-post from them. In 7 yearsI had to repair the 2-post hydraulic cylinders 3 times and the 4-post once. I would look for an American made lift not a made in china if I was you. Just my 2-cents worth.

41. Thanks WIS89, sturigus83 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom thanks for the information on the lift and that is the second time I have been told to stay American which I was planning on anyway. Sorry to hear your having such problems on your lift. If it was in a shop being used everyday all day it wouldn't make it. Your build is coming along as they always do and I know it has to be a pain to be working on something and your waiting on parts at the same time. From what I have read from all the builds is that FF seems to be good about replacing or fixing a issue that comes up with parts. That is good to know. That's again for your information. My name is Tom as well and I live in Southeast Ga east of Brunswick if you ever been to Golden Isles Speedway a 1/4 mile race track then your two miles from my place. Have a good day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep Pablo in your prayers. He and his son were to come up today to work on their MK4. Unfortunately Pablo is in the hospital with Gall bladder issues. The MK4 is on hold till he can get well. Maybe all the POL stuff will be here by the time he is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good News! Pablo made it out of surgery OK. He will be in a recovery mode for 6 weeks or so. He wants me to go ahead with the build, but hopes to bring his son up to help me do some stuff on the MK4. Engine/trans should be here on Wednesday next week. I will at least get engine bay ready for that. 2 boxes of parts from FFR are due here today. Keep Pablo in your prayers. TW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pablo and his son Nico came up today. Pablo was fresh out of surgery so he was the supervisor. Niko had never worked on a car before, but he learned so fast and was a natural mechanic. He installed all the front suspension, hubs, brakes all the way to installing the front tires and wheels. After lunch he and I installed the entire 3-link rear end and installed the rear wheels and tires as well. Not bad for 4 hours of work! It was a pleasure to meet both of them. Nico is a top tier soccor player when he and Pablo can come up they will help with whatever we need to do that day. Otherwise I will get going at my usual pace in the mean time. Left to right is Pablo, me and Nico.

IMG_3659.JPGIMG_3656.JPGIMG_3657.JPGIMG_3658.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-30-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelled Nico name right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed the steering rack, shafts and tie rods. Also installed passenger foot box, drivers inside foot box, top trunk, trunk sides and all interior aluminum.

IMG_3665.JPGIMG_3666.JPGIMG_3667.JPGIMG_3668.JPGIMG_3669.JPGIMG_3670.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.

47. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Between FedEx delaying the drive train shipment and me getting my 35 Hot Rod P/U titled and tagged I have not had a lot of time for the MK4 as of late. Finally the Blueprint drivetrain came today. I did manage to install the fuel tank and filter for the MK4 while I was waiting on FedEx. Boy! that 427 combo is sure pretty awesome to look at for sure. Hope to install it in a week or so. Here is some pics. I will be busy going to the NSRA show in Tampa for the next few days.

IMG_3675.JPGIMG_3676.JPGIMG_3677.JPGIMG_3678.JPGIMG_3681.JPGIMG_3682.JPGIMG_3683.JPGIMG_3686.JPGIMG_3685.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed the EFI fuel lines to the front-end the carbon canister. Also installed the wiring harness, rear trunk aluminum and fuse panel. Taking weekend off for good behavior, LOL.

IMG_3687.JPGIMG_3688.JPGIMG_3689.JPGIMG_3690.JPGIMG_3691.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy day today! I installed battery , shut off switch and wiring. Also installed engine/transmission. Motor mounts fought me, but I won the war, LOL.

IMG_3693.JPGIMG_3694.JPGIMG_3695.JPGIMG_3696.JPGIMG_3692.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent all day hooking up hoses and wiring to engine and Sniper EFI. Then made sure all is out of the way and strapped down to frame. Hooked up P/S hoses as well. Installed and wired all engine sensors except O2 sensor. Waiting on headers. Installed top of transmission tunnel.

IMG_3697.JPGIMG_3698.JPGIMG_3699.JPGIMG_3700.JPGIMG_3701.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted radiator, shroud, fan, hoses, front wire harness and horns. Boig hoses and coolant pipes really dress up the engine bay, IMO. I set radiator at 51 degrees. I also engine turn radiator shroud. 2 boxes of POL parts due to come in later this week.

IMG_3702.JPGIMG_3703.JPGIMG_3704.JPGIMG_3705.JPGIMG_3706.JPGIMG_3707.JPGIMG_3708.JPG

53. Likes FF33rod liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast