Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Tire Dilemma - Fender Clearance

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dilemma - Fender Clearance

OK, my Bad.- Still working on my MK4 and last week I finally ordered tires (online) for my 17X9 Halibrand replica wheels - 255/45/17 for the front and 275/40/17 for the rear. I was thrilled when they arrived and had them mounted right away. Today while working on the car, I realized that I have 255/40/17's on the front instead of 255/45/17! I was always a terrible proof reader, and I overlooked what was on the tire as well as the invoice. All I saw was 255 and 275/ 17.

I haven't contacted the supplier yet to see if I can return the front 2. But I was also wondering if there would be any problems running 255/40's on the front ? From the specs, the 40 series tire is 0.2" wider in section with, half an inch wider on the tread and 1.1" shorter in the overall diameter vs the 45 profile.

What can I expect in terms of fender clearance/rubbing, and would ther be any adverse effect in the car's handling ?

Thanks in advance-

Post Thanks / Like
    You’re better off with a 255/40 than a 255/45...255/45 is too tall. If you’re going to run a 45 series it needs to be 245 (which in my opinion is a little stretched on a 9” rim.

Now, about those 275s; I don’t like to see them on a 10 or 10.5” rim...again they’re stretched with the rim being wider than the tread. If you’re putting them on a 9” rim you’ll be good to go.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The 40 or 45 series number has to do with the ratio of the sidewall height to the section width. A 255/40 is the same width but with a shorter sidewall than a 255/45.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

4. Thanks zilverx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, -

I've read your past posts regarding tire sizes and from what you have said it looks like I made a happy mistake. Wheels are 17X9 all around, so I shoud be good to go after all.

Tom

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zilverx View Post

Wheels are 17X9 all around, so I should be good to go after all.
    Tom,

Since you have 17 X 9's on all four corners, have you considered running 255/40-17's up front with 275/40-17's out back?
    That's the combo we have on Baby Go-Dad Catfish Camaro and it looks just fine.
    He's running 17 X 9.5's wheels on all four corners.

https://youtu.be/A5WUZgl6N5Q

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-02-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh, Steve...that's what he IS running. I think looking at all that new shiny red paint has fogged your mind and messed with your comprehension abilities

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Uh, Steve...that's what he IS running. I think looking at all that new shiny red paint has fogged your mind and messed with your comprehension abilities

Jeff
    You're Probably Right!
    I was at the body shop today because I had them spray the louvers too.
    I'm not accustomed to being around fumes so you may be on to something.

9. Thanks zilverx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only get loopy when I’m NOT breathing fumes! I once had an old girlfriend who used to tell people she didn’t know I drank until she saw me sober! It’s kind of like that

Jeff

11. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody. Appreciate the input!

Do I need to be concerned about any tire rubbing with the 255/40/17 on the front? The stats say the section width at 10.2", same for the tread, and 25 inches OD. The 275 rears are 10.9" section/10.2" tread and 25.7" OD
    Last edited by zilverx; 07-02-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PS: I don't need any fumes to fog my mind I just want these tires to work -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do I need to be concerned about any tire rubbing with the 255/40/17 on the front? The stats say the section width at 10.2", same for the tread, and 25 inches OD. The 275 rears are 10.9" section/10.2" tread and 25.7" OD
    A pile if guys have 255/40-17 and 255/35-18 (Both Are Around 25.0" Tall) on the front of their MK-4 Roadsters.
    I'm running 245/45-17, on 9.0" wheels which are about 25.6" tall and can be viewed below:

https://youtu.be/ELFJDOVKb4g

My ride height is 4.0" up front and 4.4" in the rear.
    The rears tires are 285/40-17's on 10" wheel and they are 26.0" tall,
    285's can be squeezed these on a 9.0" rim; however, it isn't recommended.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-02-2020 at 07:56 PM.

15. Thanks zilverx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Size

No, You do not need to worry about rubbing with the 255/40/17 Mine do not rub the fenders or F panels lock to lock.

I am running 255/40/17 in the front and 315/35/17 in the rear.

Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

17. Thanks GoDadGo, zilverx thanked for this post
    Likes Itsibarra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the spec on mine - have not physically checked them.

Wheels FFR 17" Width F 9" & R 10.5" Tires Nitto NT-01. Treadwear 100 Traction AA Temperature A

Front 275X40ZR Hight 25.55" Overall width 10.91" Recommended wheel width 9.0"-(9.5" spec generated)-11.0"

Rear 315X35ZR Hight 25.67" Overall width 12.60" Recommended wheel width 10.5"-(11.0" spec generated)-12.5"

There will be a slight variance in my actual numbers because both sets are on wheels .5" narrower than the wheels NITTO speced them on.

Tires clear the Mk-VI body/chassis. Had to adjust one flexible brake line that rubbed at full right lock.

Current ride height 4" in front & 4.5" in rear. Found this is good for most speed bumps.

Words of caution. These are fresh tires for me & will take them to a big empty parking lot to get a feel for them first day out. Have been running Nitto 555R DOT compliant & barely street legal tires since I built the car. They are sensitive to rain & if you get caught in a shower you need to drive like you have regular tires on snow. The are also sensitive to cold weather. Mine got skidish around 40*F. Buy skidish I mean a sharp input can create an "Oh ****" moment. My learning experience was a quick 1/2 shift on a cold morning going to a Cobra Coffee. Was not going fast & did not have very high RPM's but let the clutch out a little to quickly & the car stepped right out & tried to eat the median. Got it under control quickly so no harm no foul just an elevated heart rate.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-03-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

19. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Do I need to be concerned about any tire rubbing with the 255/40/17 on the front?...
    Not as long as the wheelwell returns are trimmed/finished, the body is in the right position and the caster is properly set.

Jeff

21. Thanks zilverx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Not as long as the wheelwell returns are trimmed/finished, the body is in the right position and the caster is properly set.

Jeff
    Regarding caster, I'm midway through trimming the upper control arms as I have power steering.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding caster, I'm midway through trimming the upper control arms as I have power steering.

Tom
    Then you should be good. The first point of tire to body contact is the leading edge of the wheelwell and this generally becomes a non-issue when you get into the higher caster ranges (6 to 8 degrees) with power steering.

Jeff

24. Thanks zilverx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom
    I can trim them in my lathe if you want. Send me a PM and I'll return it w/ my address. Put them in a bag or box w/ $10 to cover return postage.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I can trim them in my lathe if you want. Send me a PM and I'll return it w/ my address. Put them in a bag or box w/ $10 to cover return postage.
    CraigS,

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but we have a shop that takes care of our MGB, and they were able to give me some nice square cuts. The control arms are back together and I'm on to the next details.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are planning on installing ABS beware, the tire OD's cannot differ by too much or it will confuse the ABS.
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
    If you are planning on installing ABS beware, the tire OD's cannot differ by too much or it will confuse the ABS.
    I'm good, no ABS, no computers. Straight out of the stone age....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello CDXVVII,

I am looking to use that same tire combo (255/40/17 Front, 315/35/17 rear) but wondered how they fill the wheel wells. Do you have a pic that is taken more from the side of the car that you can share?
    Thanks,
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    No, You do not need to worry about rubbing with the 255/40/17 Mine do not rub the fenders or F panels lock to lock.

I am running 255/40/17 in the front and 315/35/17 in the rear.

Hello CDXVVII,

I am looking to use that same tire combo (255/40/17 Front, 315/35/17 rear) but wondered how they fill the wheel wells. Do you have a pic that is taken more from the side of the car that you can share?
    Thanks,
    Rich