Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: The Last Mirror Is Gone!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Last Mirror Is Gone!

Hey Gang,

Thanks to Edwardb, I've got a pair of the Factory Five Bullet Mirrors; however, I saw these the other day on a 356 Speedster Replica at a car show and man did they look elegant and didn't over scale that tiny rear engine cruiser.

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Ae...T5-p20310.html

Would these look like they belong on a Factory Five Roadster that is attempting to somewhat emulate the look of CSX-3178 which can be viewed via the link below:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/m...sx-3178/380123

So what do you all think? I'm at the final assembly stage before the body work gets started.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-19-2019 at 08:04 PM.

2. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd stay with the bullets because they look the part.

But I'm looking into these after seeing a pair on a roadster this past weeked:
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Perfo...76401/10002/-1

They screw right onto the side pillar.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

4. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They look OK but if you mount them in the same general location that the bullet mirrors usually go I fear that you'll experience the same problem that guys have with the bullet style---that being that you'll only see the hump in the rear fender. If you want to mix the vintage racer look with functionality I suggest you do what I did and go with Windshield post mounted Raydots (then do the mods I described in post #11 HERE).

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    But I'm looking into these after seeing a pair on a roadster this past weeked:
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Perfo...76401/10002/-1
    Dave,
    Those are the same as Speedway Peep mirrors, just cost about 2 1/2 times as much!

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Inch,3811.html

I've put these on a bunch of cars and they work well if you mount them about half way up the windshield post.

Jeff

6. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beat me to it Jeff. I used the Speedway mirrors on both my cars, they work good. But if money's no problem, buy at Jegs and pay way more.
    Steve, don't see how those you show, compare to #3178?

8. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Steve, don't see how those you show, compare to #3178?
    I didn't care for a few items on Shelby's car which were the mirrors and J-style roll bar, but my car will be red with no stripes, no hood scoop and sporting some wheels we picked in an attempt to emulate the sunburst style rims. Also like CSX-3178 our car will have stainless side pipes and bumpers front and rear.

Unlike that car, my drive-train is all wrong by comparison but I love that somewhat street look, the color, black roll bar color, stainless treatment for the bumpers and side pipes.

Shelby CSX 3178 Pics:
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/m...sx-3178/380123

Shelby CSX 3178 Sells:
    https://youtu.be/FJpASOjJWa8

Factory Five #8,515 From The Dark Side:
    https://youtu.be/wOID7yvBRPU

I'm just not sure about what style mirrors I'll end up with and please know that this car is more of the "Flavor of CSX 3178" and not a true clone.

Hope This Makes Sense & Thanks For The Post!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-17-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never comment on matters of taste, but since you asked... I don't love them.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

13. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A decent alternative mirror that looks a little like it belongs on a hot rod.
    The best for the roadster is clearly
    https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...m-made-in-usa/
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    A decent alternative mirror that looks a little like it belongs on a hot rod.
    The best for the roadster is clearly
    https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...m-made-in-usa/
    Mark,

I've got your seat mounts, fan shroud and your side pipe wedges so you know that your products are always on my radar.
    Still not sure what I want on the car for the side view mirrors, but I need to decide sooner than later.
    Thanks For The Great Service By The Way!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Breeze mirrors work great on my roadster.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

17. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say no just don't look right on a Cobra. Its like taking a Chevy part and putting it on a Ford, that's just not right. Of course Steve you may have first hand experience with that. LOL
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

19. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the camp that while they are nice looking mirrors, they will look wrong on a Cobra.

Short version of the usual rant:
    If you see your fenders in your mirrors, you have them adjusted incorrectly. (See long version of rant elsewhere on how to adjust them in all your cars) Turn your head and look before a lane change. You know, like every states drivers manual says to do. Do those two things, and bullets, or even just one bullet, works fine.

21. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2STL View Post
    I say no just don't look right on a Cobra. Its like taking a Chevy part and putting it on a Ford, that's just not right. Of course Steve you may have first hand experience with that. LOL
    I've Got Mopar Super Bee / Road Runner 383 Hood Emblems To Confuse You Ford Fellows!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-999-1469-31

They'll be mounted above the fender louvers and hold those side slats in place.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-29-2019 at 07:16 PM.

23. Likes Mark Reynolds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started with the bullets, which were fine until I added the top, which made lane changes in traffic a bit too exciting for me. I added the Breeze mirrors, huge improvement and I highly recommend them.

As to your initial question, I don’t think the first ones would look right on a cobra, but that is of course just my opinion.

John

Last edited by John4337; 01-29-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

25. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of odd parts combos - Been thinking about a rectangular/oval exahust tip for my son's Volvo 850 Wagon and the tip from a 1970 383 GTX comes to mind!
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

27. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Speaking of odd parts combos - Been thinking about a rectangular/oval exahust tip for my son's Volvo 850 Wagon and the tip from a 1970 383 GTX comes to mind!
    Here Are All The Oddities For You Mr. Mark:

1. 383 Small Block Dart 10-1 Somewhat Pump Gas Friendly Compression Ratio!
    2. Eagle Internally Balanced Rotating Assembly With 6" H-Beam Rods With Floating Forged Flat Tops.
    3. Dart Iron Eagle 215 CC Heads with 2.05 Intake & 1.60 Exhaust Valves.
    4. Harland Sharp Roller Rockers & Other Go Fast Goodies.
    5. Comp Cam Extreme Energy 288 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Cam
    6. Edelbrock AVS 800 Feeding A Weiand 7530 Team-G Single Plane Manifold.
    7. Schoenfeld IMCA Modified Headers & They Really, Really Fit, But Stuff Had To Move A Bit!
    8. New Old Stock Corvette ZF 6-Speed Transmission With Hydraulic Clutch. (.75 5th & .50 6th Gear Over Drives)
    9. Standard Front End Set Up With Mustang Brakes & Forte’s .75” Sway Bar.
    10. Standard 3 Link Moser TSD 500 (Dana 44) Rear With 3.73 Gears & Explorer Brakes.
    11. The wheelbase has been shortened by .875" to better center the rear wheels within the wheel arches and improve pinion angle adjustment.

Now If I Can Only Figure Out What Mirrors The Perseverance Build Will Wear Then All Will Be Right With The World!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-30-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would strongly consider installing windwings and then go with a stainless steel windwing clip- on mirror from Speedway Motors, Part#91133003.
    I have on one my '33 and it is very neat and easy to mount, and works well too.

30. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Style wise, I will let you decide if you like them. But Mr Kliener is 100% on how effective they may be.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve - you cant go wrong with the mirrors that Breeze offers. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. They do not transfer any vibrations and stay put. I agree with Jeff K the mirrors you are contemplating when mounted will shake like the dickens.

RickP

33. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I can not apologize for the labor involved to produce quality. I have a set waiting for you here. You will love them. If not, I have no problem with you returning them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, To follow up with your original request concerning opinions of the mirror examples you posted. You need to consider the fact that when mounting those you will still be looking through the wing material. That in itself presents an issue in that you will find yourself sort of hunting or focusing to look into the mirror. The Plexiglas material will cause this. Any mirror you place on the opposite side of the Plexiglas will do this. Even the Raydots. I have had many BackDraft owners want to change as a result of this. As far as the PEEPS... well, that is an alternative. Check the mounting. That clamps to your windshield post. Just so you know, the peep was my last choice before I developed the wing mirrors. The mounting would stretch and I would need to keep snugging up the set screws. The moving around scratched the hell out of my windshield post. After that, I refused to re-install them. I still have that set of peeps laying in my basement gathering dust. I've been meaning to throw them in the trash. So keep that in mind as well. I'm not trying to push my product that you can get from Mark or myself. It's more about just trying to get you to think through some options before pulling the trigger on something you may ultimately not be pleased with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riebelt View Post
    Steve, To follow up with your original request concerning opinions of the mirror examples you posted. You need to consider the fact that when mounting those you will still be looking through the wing material. That in itself presents an issue in that you will find yourself sort of hunting or focusing to look into the mirror. The Plexiglas material will cause this. Any mirror you place on the opposite side of the Plexiglas will do this. Even the Raydots. I have had many BackDraft owners want to change as a result of this. As far as the PEEPS... well, that is an alternative. Check the mounting. That clamps to your windshield post. Just so you know, the peep was my last choice before I developed the wing mirrors. The mounting would stretch and I would need to keep snugging up the set screws. The moving around scratched the hell out of my windshield post. After that, I refused to re-install them. I still have that set of peeps laying in my basement gathering dust. I've been meaning to throw them in the trash. So keep that in mind as well. I'm not trying to push my product that you can get from Mark or myself. It's more about just trying to get you to think through some options before pulling the trigger on something you may ultimately not be pleased with.
    I'll probably stick the Wind Wings on and play with the bullet mirrors before I do anything. I just never liked anything that takes away from the body lines and may blow off the side views all together. I'm in Louisiana so the Thought Police & Nanny State isn't as bad as in most places so not having side views isn't a big deal.

Heck, I've even taken a few Law Enforcement Fellows for rides very recently.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-30-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are doing this before paint correct? That was part of my point in that you "can't put the bullet back in the gun", so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for Terry's mirrors! I haven't installed mine yet, but the quality is fantastic. And, for those that are blacking out their trim, they are available in a black anodized finish.

Black: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...odized-finish/

Polished: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...m-made-in-usa/

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 01-30-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to muddy the waters...I have at least 3 of the bullet mirrors. They may all be alike or maybe not but I'll be happy to send one so that you can make a matched pair.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Just to muddy the waters...I have at least 3 of the bullet mirrors. They may all be alike or maybe not but I'll be happy to send one so that you can make a matched pair.

Jeff
    I'll send you pics tomorrow of what I have.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    One more vote for the Breeze mirrors. I tried a couple different mirrors before finding them. They blend in nicely into the side wings and they are stable. Some of the other mirrors would shake so much that I though there were 3 cars to my left. When I fist started driving my Cobra, I really liked the look of no side wings or sun visor. After a month of driving around, it got old. I am still amazed that two little pieces of plastic make such a difference.

42. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE:...Factory Five Family Member Racee75 is getting the one mirror so I still have the another on hand.

The price is simply the cost of shipping.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-18-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    B-B-Bump!

I've got one mirror left, which is the long stem version.
    The cost to you is the cost of shipping.
    Send me a PM if you are interested.
    The first message gets the piece.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-18-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Last Mirror Is Gone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Disclaimer: I'm a little late to this particular party and I didn't read (in detail) all the comments. That said, here are my comments: GoDad, you already put a Chevy in a Cobra. Do whatever your heart desires.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a little late to this particular party and I didn't read (in detail) all the comments. That said, here are my comments: GoDad, you already put a Chevy in a Cobra. Do whatever your heart desires.
    Doing my own thing really is the theme of my build for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Doing my own thing really is the theme of my build for sure!
    Yeah, we've noticed!

Jeff