Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Budget/Timing

Post Thanks / Like

Budget/Timing

I've been trying to layout a budget and schedule for my future MkIV project and figured there are three major purchases for the kit 1) the initial purchase from FFR, 2) the engine/transmission, and 3) paint.

How late into the build should I plan on buying the engine/transmission? Is it something that can wait a few months into the build or should I just expect to buy the engine/trans around the same time I buy the kit? Obviously given the magnitude of those two purchases I am hoping to spread them out as much as possible but understand the lack of these elements may delay and hold up other aspects of the build. For reference, I am hoping to maintain a 2-ish year build schedule (sans paint). Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness! The good thing about building one of these cars is that you can do it on your schedule. It really depends on how quickly you work through the assembly. I ordered my kit during a sale in January 2017, but didn't take delivery until June. I ordered my engine in August of 2017 and it sat for a month before I was ready to install it. My car is going to paint in a couple of months, so figure April, 2019. That spread my major expenses out over nearly 2-1/2 years.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

3. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't buy the engine until you are ready to install it, especially if the engine has a warranty that starts to run upon delivery to you. If the budget is tight, and it certainly was for me, I see no need to spend that money until you need to, especially if you are buying a crate engine that can be purchased at any time.

But for what it's worth: I bought a Ford Performance Parts Boss 302 (Windsor) crate engine from American Muscle. I assumed, because there were multiple vendors offering that particular crate engine for sale, that they were plentiful and it would be at my shop within a week or so. The opposite was true - it took about 2 months from order to delivery. It didn't irk me, but it sure wasn't like ordering something fungible on Amazon. So, figure out that lead time on the front end and plan accordingly. Welcome and good luck!

5. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can definitely hold off buying the engine/transmission, & I second Jacob's comment about burning through warranty time with the engine sitting in a crate. When you get your kit and start working, you'll figure out when you're ready. There's always other work to be done while you're waiting.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

7. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need it on day one, that's for sure. With a 2 year build plan, several months in at least as several have said. But one caveat. Depends on what engine/trans combination you're using, and also maybe to some extent your experience level. Some installations are proven and very straightforward. Others may benefit from any early mock-up so you can plan around it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

9. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my engine/trans about 5 months after taking delivery of the kit. If I had wanted to stretch out the payments there would have been plenty of things I could have done, out of sequence to keep busy. I think I could have stayed busy for a year without the engine/trans.

Let me add one point. I think if you go too long without and engine/trans the project can easily stall. Hearing the motor fire up gives you a needed boost of interest after 5 months of hard work. I didn't call it a car until first start.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 01-29-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

11. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everyone else. Unless you are doing something very unusual, the engine can wait. Also as mentioned above, check the lead time from whatever engine supplier you are thinking of using. I had a 6 month wait for mine

13. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I agree with everyone else. Unless you are doing something very unusual, the engine can wait. Also as mentioned above, check the lead time from whatever engine supplier you are thinking of using. I had a 6 month wait for mine
    If you are doing a standard Ford V-8 (302 or 351 Windsor Block) then Double Ditto on letting the engine and transmission can wait.
    You can pretty much complete the car and get the Go-Go-Goodies down the road.

15. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with all on waiting on the engine. As said above I got mine about 5 months after the frame was delivered.

Once you decide on your power plant check with them on details of fuel inlet location. This will let you lay out your fuel lines and if you need a tank pump, external pump or a block mounted pump. Return lines if going fuel injection.

I was going down a path of running fuel lines down the drivers side thinking the motor had a block mounted fuel pump and found out once digging into the details with the engine supplier they supplied a Holley electric fuel pump so I ended up running the fuel lines down the passenger side eliminating the crossover.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

17. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody for the feedback. Sounds like I can to wait at least 6-7 months and possibly push it out to a year without holding up the project too much.

Right now I'm looking at a 351W/TKO driveline so pretty standard faire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCityCobra View Post
    Thanks everybody for the feedback. Sounds like I can to wait at least 6-7 months and possibly push it out to a year without holding up the project too much.
    Right now I'm looking at a 351W/TKO driveline so pretty standard faire.
    That will be great. If carb, try to get an engine set up for a mechanical pump. When I got my MkII in 2007 it had a mech pump. I thought I would soon change to electric as I hadn't see a mech pump in decades. But it just keeps going and going like the bunny. And it makes no noise.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Budget/Timing......Triple the "Budget" and set the "Timing" at 12* BTC......My work here is done.....Thank you, thank you very much.....daBat…..god I love being the smartest one in the room.....well, I spend a lot of time in my room alone....so there's that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to issues out of my control my engine was delayed at the builder for quite awhile. I have almost everything done that doesn't connect to the engine and started on body work. The engine and tranny will be basically the last things to go into the car. There is always something else that needs to be done. The good news is that the engine looks like it will be ready end of the month and once the snow clears it will be go cart time! Do it on your schedule and have fun with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Budget/Timing......Triple the "Budget" and set the "Timing" at 12* BTC......My work here is done.....Thank you, thank you very much.....daBat…..god I love being the smartest one in the room.....well, I spend a lot of time in my room alone....so there's that....
    Brightest bulb in the closet???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Brightest bulb in the closet???

HEY ! I came outta the closet. Dontchu put me back in there MISTER ! "Nobody puts baby in a corner"....so there !...…………….and this is where the anxiety starts to kick in. rocking, rocking, rocking ha! I got betta...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man, sorry. I just took a double shot of Bermuda Black Rum, 151 proof for you. Feeling better now?