Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: sbc gen 1 383 build - aftermarket serpentine belt system clearance questions

Post Thanks / Like

sbc gen 1 383 build - aftermarket serpentine belt system clearance questions

I am building a 383 to go in my 33 Hot Rod arriving in march. I was wondering if anyone had any clearance issues with the aftermarket serpentine belt systems like March 21100 (or 21110) and the frame rails. Is anyone running this? Is anyone running with the belt tensioner 21119?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Mike

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't look like anyone is running that combo. Here's some dimensions for what it's worth. I set my SBC engine back about as far as practical and have 4 1/2" from the face of the damper to the steering rack. My damper is not stock GM but I'm guessing it's similar in thickness.

4 1:2.jpg
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Likes Higgi56 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well Hell..... I wanted to go with a single ribbed belt,,, only have a pump and alternator,,, OR long water pump with v belt so I would have a nicer option for alternator mount location. But F5 told me NO, had to go with SHORT water pump, v belt and now I will have alternator in a place I really don't want it. I probably should have been braver at exploring my options. Will also run hood and sides so won't be visable all the time anyway.

5. Likes Higgi56 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a 100A alternator so I can get away with a single v-belt. The alternator is mounted high on the driver side where it tucks in out of the way. I think this was my third iteration and I'm toying with the idea of using one of those smaller diameter alternators for more valve cover clearance. I'm also running my short water pump with an electric motor so I had to get creative with the alternator drive -- no one makes what I needed so had to fab my own. Seems to be a common theme on this car -- everything has to be custom built to make it fit the small package. It would have been so much easier if I had of went with a Camaro or a Chevelle -- I'd have had plenty of room and most of the parts would have been off the shelf. Like they say -- if it was easy everyone would be doing it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

7. Likes Higgi56 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a BluePrint SBC 400 with the Mach 21100. Had to move the engine back about 1/2 inch to clear the steering rack.

9. Likes Higgi56 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    how did you move the engine back? did you relocate the motor mounts on the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    im running an after market balancer as well. maybe ill stick with the v belt.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Higgi56, you simply use spacers between the motor mounts and the FFR supplied mounting plates to move your engine.

The photo of the drive on your last post may not fit the HR chassis -- what looks like a power steering pump mounted low on the driver side will likely pose a problem. I looked at running one of those small diameter alternators low on the driver side and there's not enough room. It's very tight in this area as the chassis is tapered and narrows significantly near the front of the engine. Make sure to get dimensions on any drive you are considering before pulling the trigger. You'll want to make sure you have room for the configuration you select.

Post Thanks / Like
    Higgi56

Look at this link it shows the spacer I used, picked it up at ACE Hardware.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...894#post328894

Post Thanks / Like
    Higgi,

Take a look at this thread, I installed a SBC with a serp belt, AC/Alt/Water using a march pulley system and don't have any clearance issues (except needing a high clearance hood)

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...034#post265034

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1479[825].JPG

test fit on engine. wouldn't you know it, had to space the system since the water pump wasn't clearing the timing chain cover. thanks for all the advice guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking system.

18. Likes Higgi56 liked this post