Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PCV systems in California

Post Thanks / Like

PCV systems in California

I've become painfully aware that I need to have a "closed" pcv system in order to pass SB100. I had made a set of stamped steel covers to resemble the FIA covers from back in the day, but got caps that push in, but they are breathers, so I don't believe they will be acceptable. I was concerned that they would not clear the rockers, even with a half inch spacer, as I discovered using clay inside the cover and rotating the crank. I've since purchased another set of plain stamped steel covers, which don't have all the detail of the originals, but since they are quite a bit taller, will have no problem clearing the rockers. Each cover has a filler tube, which I extended in the manner of the originals, and have drilled a hole in one to accept a grommet with the PCV valve. I'd like to keep the same look with the caps as I have with the first set, but I can't seem to determine what caps I could use for this. One needs to be just plain, non-breathing, and the other the same, but with a tube for the air cleaner hose.
    Has anyone in California done anything like this, and if so, do you have a reference for the caps?
    Thanks in advance.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I shouldn't post in the evening. The engine is a 302 stroked to 331. The concern I had on clearance was in regard to the original stamped steel covers, not the caps. I reread my post, and that was not clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not sure about your setup. I have my pcv on the drivers side front plumbed into the vacuum port on my throttle body. On the passender side rear I have a breather plumbed into the air cleaner. That’s it for a closed pcv loop. Passed with no issues.

Note: be sure to use hoses “identified” as suitable for pcv application.

Sorry about pictures being upside down. Best I can do from my phone.

E4082E84-E75B-4CCA-A9DD-C3053F478011.jpg

8D3E776F-98F1-41C3-B2DE-02F84238779C.jpeg
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 01-30-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    427, I'll be running stack injection, so the PCV will connect to a port in the intake manifold, but I think I may use an oil/air separator to avoid gunking up the intake with oil vapor. The hose from the other valve cover will either have to go to one of the trumpets, drilled and tapped through the side with a barbed fitting installed, or if I can figure some sort of air cleaner setup, I'll create a port in it. I've been spending so much time on line that I'm starting to get disgusted. I found one Scott Drake cap with the tube to take the hose to the air cleaner that is noted as a "closed system" cap, and I found a plug style cap for the other fill tube that doesn't breathe. This way I would have a "closed system" when I go for inspection. I wish all the sites that carry these things would just put a note as to whether they are for a closed or open system. That and pictures of the bottom of the cap, as well as the top.
    I just hope I'm not misunderstanding what California will require to pass CARB, but I also believe that the fuel injection cpu can read a breather cap as a possible vacuum leak, but that may be one more thing I'm misunderstanding. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a new Superformance with a Rouch 427 with an 8- stack and no PCV, just breathers. The owner said they had the PCV system connected to an air cleaner but once it was inspected it all came off and the trumpets went on after. It only gets inspected one time.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Straversi, I don't mind having the pcv system hooked up. It will actually make the car run better, and keep the oil in the crankcase from breaking down due to blow by gases. I was thinking about doing what would pass, and then go back to something else, but I'd really like to make this work. Just having trouble locating the parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ng&keyword=pcv

Love Summit. showing 740 options just in the valve search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Straversi, I don't mind having the pcv system hooked up. It will actually make the car run better, and keep the oil in the crankcase from breaking down due to blow by gases. I was thinking about doing what would pass, and then go back to something else, but I'd really like to make this work. Just having trouble locating the parts.
    It doesn't matter to the oil if you have a PCV system or an open system. The compression gasses are going into the crankcase no matter what. They either go back into the intake (which is technically bad for your intake manifold and valves, but not enough to really matter), or out to the atmosphere (good for your engine / bad for the environment). The engine won't run any different either way. You do need one or the other. Without an easy way out, the gasses are going to come out through seals and gaskets.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 02-06-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche, Much better said than I was capable of doing. I finally was able to put the items together to maintain the look I'm going for, early FIA competition motor. I found a oil fill cap that is period correct and sealed to the fill tube, and that has the vent tube that goes to the air cleaner. I found a filler plug that I was able to place into the filler tube on the PCV valve side, so that I can still use the period correct cap even though it is a venting cap. Since my PCV valve will vent directly into the plenum in my intake manifold, (stack injection), I decided to run an oil/air separator from Moroso in the line going to the intake manifold. At least I can hopefully remove the majority of the oil passing through the line, and keep the intake cleaner. The only issue remaining is the vent tube from the cap that would normally go to the air cleaner. Unless I can get a pair of air cleaners from ITB that I can drill the base plate and vent to them that way, I'll have to do what Speedmaster did with their Daytona Coupe. Their BAR referee, since they were running basically open stacks with small insert filters, required that they drill and tap one of the trumpets, put a barbed fitting in it, and attach the hose there. Not the most elegant solution, but they wanted to pass the inspection. Kinda strange since everything I've read says that that hose has to connect where it will be distributed to all cylinders. But then again, who am I kidding that I have a clue on any of this. I'm just wingin' it at this point!
    Thanks.

Rick