Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Suicide Door Lock Pins - Alternatives

Post Thanks / Like

Suicide Door Lock Pins - Alternatives

Reviving this subject in a new thread after going through a plethora of posts dating back to before 2015. After looking at the space allocations to mount the Autoloc electric pin door lock unit and not finding the space to mount it in the door, I have returned it. Now I am looking for a simpler method of adding a safety latch which I would manually secure after entering the car that, should the latch open, simply would limit how much the door can open (about an inch or so). Anyone do something like this and it passed your DMV inspections?
    Looking for options, TY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    Reviving this subject in a new thread after going through a plethora of posts dating back to before 2015. After looking at the space allocations to mount the Autoloc electric pin door lock unit and not finding the space to mount it in the door, I have returned it. Now I am looking for a simpler method of adding a safety latch which I would manually secure after entering the car that, should the latch open, simply would limit how much the door can open (about an inch or so). Anyone do something like this and it passed your DMV inspections?
    Looking for options, TY!
    These are what I am running on my 37. https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...ety-lock-pins/ I installed them on the bottom of the doors. Lots of space there. Scott

Canon 003 (2).JPGCanon 005 (2).JPG
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 01-23-2019 at 03:09 PM.

3. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    These are what I am running on my 37. https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...ety-lock-pins/ I installed them on the bottom of the doors. Lots of space there. Scott

Canon 003 (2).JPGCanon 005 (2).JPG
    So your pin goes down into the door sill? What is your receiver, it looks like it has a self sealing hole which is very nice, would appreciate a bit more info on that if possible as well? Very interesting. TY!!

Post Thanks / Like
    So your pin goes down into the door sill? What is your receiver, it looks like it has a self sealing hole which is very nice, would appreciate a bit more info on that if possible as well? Very interesting. TY!!
    Yes the pin goes into the door sill. It has about an inch of throw. There is a steel receiver that mounts into the door sill. I don't bother with the idiot light, if the locks are down you're good to go. Hey just realized you are in Gatineau, I'm in Ottawa close to Manotick. Here's a pic of the Ford in case you have seen it around. Scott

May 2017.jpg

6. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link to the locks. I'm putting the doors together now.
    Do these doors have a history of popping open while driving?
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    Yes the pin goes into the door sill. It has about an inch of throw. There is a steel receiver that mounts into the door sill. I don't bother with the idiot light, if the locks are down you're good to go. Hey just realized you are in Gatineau, I'm in Ottawa close to Manotick. Here's a pic of the Ford in case you have seen it around. Scott

May 2017.jpg
    Amazing!!! Nice pic of the car at Monkey Joe's!! I am getting the toy done in the next couple months including paint and will most likely join you at one of their outings for sure!! Looking forward to this summer!! Here's a more recent pic of mine in my shop in my backyard. Will be limiting the overall pics once I tear it apart and the body and doors go to paint. More to come!!
    20190110_195854.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Thanks for the link to the locks. I'm putting the doors together now.
    Do these doors have a history of popping open while driving?
    The bear claw latches are tricky to adjust. They have to close tight enough so the door does not rattle but not so tight that the latch will not engage the full lock position. I have had the doors pop off the fully closed (2nd) position to the 1st but have never had the door fully open. The safety latches are there to ensure the doors will not open while driving. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing!!! Nice pic of the car at Monkey Joe's!! I am getting the toy done in the next couple months including paint and will most likely join you at one of their outings for sure!! Looking forward to this summer!! Here's a more recent pic of mine in my shop in my backyard. Will be limiting the overall pics once I tear it apart and the body and doors go to paint. More to come!!
    20190110_195854.jpg
    Your 33 looks great! Nice shop too. Here's a pic of the Cobra in the event we end up at the same show this summer. Scott

Cobra2 Apr 2017.jpg

11. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the way i did mineIMG_8188.JPGIMG_8199.JPG, and it is very important to have some way of keeping doors closed.

13. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    AJT'33',
    Nice looking Shop. How high is your shop ceiling?
    I am going to put a lift in my garage, have a 10ft. ceiling, wondering if that was enough height.

thanks
    Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
    AJT'33',
    Nice looking Shop. How high is your shop ceiling?
    I am going to put a lift in my garage, have a 10ft. ceiling, wondering if that was enough height.

thanks
    Nevin
    Hi Nevin, I have vaulted ceilings so I have just under 12' where the lifts are with walls at 9'. If I had original trusses straight across I wouldn't be able to do it. I had the vaulted trusses priced out and for about $200 more it was well worth it so I went for it. I got lucky and was able to get end of line Bendpak's XPR-9S. The lift is a low profile arm with two posts, you just need to contend with the floor cover at about an inch tall, not a big deal. This one might fit your garage https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/tw...-lifts/xpr-9s/ or ccomething similar. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info AJT.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels