Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Sound & Audio Options

Post Thanks / Like

Sound & Audio Options

As I plan out my interior, I find (more like confirm) what I already knew and that is that there is little room in the vehicle for a "quality" audio set-up. I am thinking these areas with regards to possible locations for speakers...

1. Top of dash...outside of defrost vent locations (would need to besmall, shallow & directional)
    2. Kick Panels...in front of each door (low), limited in size (4-1/4")
    3. Front of the Door (low)...can this be achieved with Power Windows (?)
    4. Rear of the Door (up top)...again probably limited in size
    5. Waterfall Area...lots of contour and minimal surface area (flat) making mounting a challenge and not a lot of depth
    6. Side of Console (on trans tunnel)...with any kind of stereo head unit in the car this may be a challenge (?)

Would appreciate your feedback if you have chosen any of these areas or others as suggestions...thanks all!
    Last edited by JOP33; 01-30-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

2. Likes AJT '33, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to an audio upgrade I did to my 37 a couple of years ago will see if I can find some other pics as well.

Put components in the front of the doors with a 6x9 in between the seats. Really like the Alpine R's would highly recommend. Scott

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/49-oth...o-upgrade.html

Oct 14 035.JPGCanon 015.JPGCanon 003 (2).JPG
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 01-30-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm think of some of the same locations
    - front lower part of each door, possibly gaining more space by building out that part of the door panel some
    - a pair in the water fall, hopefully 6x9s. Will build a bit of an enclosure for each
    - small sub or pair of subs in the corners behind each side (there were plans on someone's build thread last year that showed how to put sub boxes in this location)

I'm not normally a guy who likes thumping crazy bass so the purpose of the sub would be to compensate for what I believe is going to be the lack of bass in the other speakers due to their size restrictions.

Depending on how that sounds, may add tweaters in the dash on the very ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    We should have played mine and let you hear it with the setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    We should have played mine and let you hear it with the setup
    Bill, Kory actually did crank yours up for me the other day and it did sound very good. My generation grew up in low-rider trucks and thumping bass. Now that I am much older but only a little smarter I am looking to merge the obnoxious car with the obnoxious stereo . Sorry, it's just the kid in me!

Thx
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Myself I am looking into going with one of the headless blue tooth units. I figure that I can mount it behind the waterfall right behind a seat and everything will be out of the way. The one I was looking at a while back came with a little control unit for the volume and power that would set between the seat and the center console. Then I can just use my phone to play what I want.

As everyone else has said, the speakers are the hardest. Since I am not going with the hard top and windows I will have more room in my speakers. I am thinking a pair in the front of the doors, and maybe a pair in the center under the dash. I am planning on a center console going up to the dash and would mount the speakers there. Not so sure I have room for a sub...

I worse comes to worse, I could also just use my noise canceling ear buds and plug right into my phone. That would probably help with the noise too. I know that when I get on an airplane and turn them on, all the noise of the aircraft goes away.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    here is Tim Collins build thread that shows where and how he put in dual 8" subs....
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ghlight=woofer

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted two 5.5" rounds in the waterfall between the seats and 2 3" rounds in the waterfall by the doors. I combined all of this with a small kenwood amp 200W amp with Bluetooth built in so that I don't need a head unit. I have to say, it works pretty well, the amp is in the trunk with the wired control module under the dash, the speakers are loud enough to not need full volume at highway speeds without a top and the 5.5" carry enough bass that everything doesn't sound too tinny.

I looked at other locations (kick panels, doors, etc.) but never found enough space and this setup made wiring a breeze.

Picture below shows locations of the speakers, let me know if you want details on the amp.

20180408_144637.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    I mounted two 5.5" rounds in the waterfall between the seats and 2 3" rounds in the waterfall by the doors. I combined all of this with a small kenwood amp 200W amp with Bluetooth built in so that I don't need a head unit. I have to say, it works pretty well, the amp is in the trunk with the wired control module under the dash, the speakers are loud enough to not need full volume at highway speeds without a top and the 5.5" carry enough bass that everything doesn't sound too tinny.

I looked at other locations (kick panels, doors, etc.) but never found enough space and this setup made wiring a breeze.

Picture below shows locations of the speakers, let me know if you want details on the amp.

20180408_144637.jpg
    That's a nice set-up DT! I am a big fan of the Bluetooth units, however I am going with Front and Rear facing cameras and typically these require the double-din LCD's.