Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Hot Rod Gen 2 Body

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Rod Gen 2 Body

Has anyone received one of the Gen 2 bodies yet? They say that the bodywork should be reduced by 50%. Just wondering what is different from the Gen 1 or other bodies.

Thanks,
    Adrian

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge no gen 2 out yet. All the details of the changes are listed on the FFR website. I would be hesitant to say 50% less body work, Just my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am picking one up Saturday. Will let you know how it looks.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I got word today that mine will be ready to ship end of next week. Michael>> Would appreciate if you could send me some photos as I am in Germany for another 2 1/2 weeks. By the way, I have what I call Generation 1.5 Frame. With the lowered Entrance. I sent my original Body back to FFR. At my expense. I have the Dan Ruth's 4-Link to center the Rear Wheels, and Dan's Hard Top, Fenders, A/C, Electric Windows and Doors. I am hoping not to run into too many issues??? Also Michael, I have the Boyd Tank. I understand the Filler Neck on the new Body is different?? I still need a Filler Neck. Here is what I have>>
    vc1.jpgvc2.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry. I picked up the GEN 2 yesterday. To be honest I don't see much difference as far as body work goes. Really hard to know until I get into it.
    FFR has made some great improvements to the car. Not sure I will have time to document a build as I have so many cars to work on right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Michael, How does the new "Removable Dash" look??? You have the new floors? You sure have a lot of projects! One is enough for me. Thanks for the photos. Wonder
    how the Firewall/Frame/Body match up? Keep us posted.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    The removeable dash is an excellent idea Kudos to FFR on that. will make working on everything back there so much easier.
    Mike

8. Thanks erlihemi thanked for this post
    Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting those pics Mike, I'm curious about the frame changes for larger exhaust and the "sandwich construction" they refer to for the floor. I'm not seeing pictures of those posted by FFR. We were asking for better dash design years ago so its good to see someone listened. Good to see double mounting holes for the suspension also. Does the steering rack also have double holes? Hope you find improvements to the body. Looking forward to watching this one come together.

Post Thanks / Like

The underside of the frame is almost completely open. Will allow for much more room for exhaust. the actual sandwich floor consist of a sheet of aluminum, then 3/4 frame kork and then another sheet of aluminum. The foam insulator will be in between.
    mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 02-03-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the photos. This may sound stupid, but you could probably use a quality Velcro to attach the Dash to the Frame Support. I am planning to install the Lokar 6-Gauge
    Cluster and a couple A/C Vents. Looks like great access. Keep us posted.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. I had to go to the truck gallery to see the double holes for the Rack and revisit the 33 gallery posted 1/19. I can't say I'm a believer in the increased rigidity over the previous Lattice style frame, but, I do see more flat plates welded in the tubing both under the seats and in the back half. It looks like the plates under the seat need to go forward more for good mounting options, but its hard to tell. I was hoping we would get a more complete cage, but that interferes with a roadster build so it feels like my next one (if that happens) will still require welding or maybe I will go with the truck to lose those suicide doors.

My gut says the floor aluminum needs to be a little heavier and that the fastening method is more critical to get the desired strength. My experience with sandwich construction involves structural adhesive vice "pop" rivets. Hope you like the new doors. The bear claw alignment should be much more consistent now.

Enjoy it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pics from underneath

14. Thanks erlihemi thanked for this post
    Likes duff33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the changes I see - the more details I see, the more impressed I am. It looks to be a more refined design. Do I spy a different trans mount style?

Also, do yall know if a revised manual has been released yet that includes the Gen2 updates?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing these pics Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I this pic the doors do look thicker and rounder.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael, Is the Fuel Filler location still in the same area?? This is my Firewall cutout> I still need to order a Filler Neck for my Boyd Tank.

vc1.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBB Larry View Post
    Michael, Is the Fuel Filler location still in the same area?? This is my Firewall cutout> I still need to order a Filler Neck for my Boyd Tank.

vc1.jpg
    You have the aluminum for the new FFR tank, unless I am wrong you will need to close this off and cut a hole where the hose would go to the Boyd tank. When you ordered the kit did you tell them that your doing a Boyd tank? If so, they should give you the original version.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt they make the aluminum piece for the original tank anymore. I deleted the FFR tank and got the same piece as Larry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I doubt they make the aluminum piece for the original tank anymore. I deleted the FFR tank and got the same piece as Larry.
    Can't hurt to ask, I would drop Tony Z a note and see. It would be easy to ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll just have to fabricate one. I was curious if the Gen. 2 Trunk had the same location for the Filler Neck to mount?? In the far forward left corner. I need to order a Fuel Hose.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, have a look here: http://www.replicaparts.com/
    Fuel filler hose and other useful parts (fan shroud being one)
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Larry, have a look here: http://www.replicaparts.com/
    Fuel filler hose and other useful parts (fan shroud being one)
    Steve
    Thanks. I got my Fan Shroud from Mike and installed it. Fits perfect. I thought I ordered a hose months ago, but did receive one. I check with him again. At my
    age, I probably hit the wrong SEND button!
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

24. Likes FF33rod liked this post