Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: floppy fenders

Post Thanks / Like

floppy fenders

has anyone come up with a good way to brace the front fenders? the fronts are so flimsy when I drive it looks like a Disney cartoon. I made braces that fit behind the tires for all 4 fenders, they work well. I'm kinda stuck on the leading edge. should I glass in some rod or just add more glass? any fender experts out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a hint (from the assembly manual) featuring the blue truck, looking towards the back of the left side rear fender.
    It looks like some foam covered in a layer or two of woven mat ‘glass might do it.

B99B909E-FFE3-40D7-BDD8-043127780E2E.png

3. Likes LonDart liked this post
    East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bonded some metal bracing to the front fenders to get them to settle down
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, I'm thinking maybe a combination of both. glass in some metal around the outer lip, and some of that stiff foam ( I forget the name) under the headlight area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bonded in some 1/4" break lines to the inside, it was easy to shape, I used filler to create a fillet and hold it temporarily then put a couple layers of glass over it to bond and seal it in permanently. Stiff and easy using materials you probably have around the shop. It also allowed me to run wiring to the outer edge as the DOT needed additional light/reflectors out there.
    20190410_121910.jpg
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

7. Likes LonDart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's a good idea. I like it, thanx