FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Did I break it? I think I did. (Gauges, EEPROM swap)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like

the code in a odometer prom

So for the hard core, what does the code inside these chips look like? This is binary numerical data, because that is the only way these chips store values, but it is being displayed in my programmer software in "hexadecimal", which is a different numbering system (easier for humans, of course - and you say "of course").

You know about number systems, or at least one of these... binary counts up using only digits 0 through 1. Decimal counts up using digits 0 through 9. Hexadecimal counts up using 0 through 15, but we don't have arabic numerals above 9 so we use A - F to represent 10 through 15...

The chip doesn't have much code actually (it can store 128 separate numbers). A small portion of it changes constantly when the car is moving as it contains the increasing odometer reading, and the trip odo values. Other code doesn't change but it defines what options are in use for this vehicle.

The key to being suspicious about whether or not the chip is actually damaged, is that looking around, chunks of data match between the two devices. Some should not match, so no suprise there. USUALLY in my experience, but not always and that also in my experience, damage to a chip is catastrophic - i.e. if it is wrong, then everything is wrong. But we don't know what happened to this chip really, so we'll just show it for what it is.

Here is what was in the non-working chip, for the 06WRX circuit board:

Here is what is in the 03 Impreza I have installed on ISPASS's board:

Last edited by aquillen; 03-05-2019 at 05:33 PM.

2. Likes AZPete liked this post