Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No VIN for donor parts

Post Thanks / Like

No VIN for donor parts

I'm in the process of starting my complete MK4 kit.
    I live in OH and just started looking up the process of registering and titling a car.
    One of the requirements is being able to provide the VIN# from your donor car as well as provide a bill of sale of the parts/kit.
    I inherited my engine from a friend of mine in Indiana who also built a cobra, but used a 4.6L ford motor in his build. This motor he acquired off someone else years ago and is a rebuilt 1966 289 FSB Hipo engine. I've emailed my buddy and he doesn't have the VIN on this. I also got a T5z transmission from the same friend who again got this from someone else years ago with no VINs.
    Anyone else in a similar situation and any suggestions on what the state highway patrol is going to ask for when getting the car inspected?
    I understand that they want to make sure all your parts aren't off stolen cars, but not sure how I can track down a VIN on an engine that has traded hands many times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted the same on the other forum but will add it here as well. Before it became federally mandated in 1968 Ford did not put a VIN on engine blocks, only casting numbers. These numbers tell when & where the block was made, what it was and what line of car it was destined for however this same casting number was on thousands of engines and does not identify the exact car (and therefore the VIN) it went into. No way to track a pre 1968 block back to a specific VIN to prove that it is or is not stolen. I have a couple of Ohio builder friends who had to jump through hoops when using crate engines even though they had documentation showing that the engines came from Ford Racing without numbers so I'd think it would probably best to discuss this with the highway patrol inspection office before you get in too deep.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on Jeff's experience. Had the same situation here in Massachusetts and all went well.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller