FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just joined the Coupe Family!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just joined the Coupe Family!!

Well, after a few years of enjoying the MKIV that we built in 2012/13, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Coupe. I got in on the Winter Sale and am expecting Delivery near the end of March / beginning of April. I love the MKIV so much, but have really missed the actual process of the build, and more so, getting the time to build it with my father! Now we get to enjoy the build and at the end of the day go and experience the never ending joy of driving the Cobra! I'll post more as we move through the build, but wanted to start to get re-established with the forum once again. You guys saved my bacon more than once during the Cobra build... looking forward to making more new friends as the build of the Coupe progresses.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic
    You will love it
    Can’t wait to follow along
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider

Congrats on getting the coupe. You won't regret it.
    As cool as the roadster is...…

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering if there are anythings that past builders would want to share as "THINGS TO KNOW" as you begin a Coupe Build? Or Parts/Additions that should be considered. For example, I know from several others that Air Conditioning is a must due to airflow. What else are the things that I should be thinking about, that I might not otherwise think of until too late?

For now, what I've ordered/decided on is the following:

Ordered Complete Kit
    Upgraded to GPS gauges
    Upgraded to Competition highback race seats
    Upgraded to Leather Wrap Steering Wheel
    2015 IRS
    Powder Coated Frame
    Coyote Power Steering Complete Kit
    Plan to use Gen 2/3 Coyote with TKO600
    Plan to use Hydraulic Clutch
    Planning on heater/air conditioner from FF (are there others to consider?)
    Plan to use side/sliding windows
    Thinking about Whitby Power Brake Booster
    Will be using remote brake bias adjuster
    Trying to decide between 17 and 18" wheels
    Would like windshield wipers, but I put the FF ones on the Cobra and they are unusable... Any other options?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your Coupe order! It's an interesting build and a natural after doing a Roadster. In case you haven't seen my Gen 3 #59 build thread, link is in my sig line. Couple responses to your list:

- Heater - A/C: I looked a lot and didn't find any better options than what Factory Five is offering. The kit is very complete and the instructions quite detailed. https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...OUPE-Gen-3.pdf. Most of it is standard stuff. Mustang compressor, generic hoses, fittings, trinary switch, condenser, etc. It comes with the Coyote recommended full bypass heater control valve. The challenge is finding an evaporator that fits in the available space. Due to the frame design, it's pretty limited. They came up with a relatively small unit that just fits. It's basic. Temp and fan control, two dash outlets, two defrost outlets. I added two more dash outlets, and built the controls into my center switch panel. But other than that, installed it pretty much as they describe. Not expecting multi-zone automatic climate control. But it should heat and cool and make the ride more habitable. Some details and pictures in my build thread.

- You mention Whitby power brake booster and a remote bias adjuster. If you're talking about the bias adjuster that adjusts the balance bar between the front and back master cylinders in the now pretty standard Wilwood pedal box, those two things aren't compatible. In order to use the Whitby power brake booster (I'm assuming with the vacuum reservoir) you can't use the standard Wilwood dual master setup. You end up modding the Wilwood pedal to use a pushrod through the footbox front to the booster and standard inline double master cylinder. Losing the Wilwood bias adjustment is one of the down sides of mixing power brakes with the Wilwood pedal box. There are other ways to do bias adjustment. If you stay with power brakes, you'll need to look at those, like a proportioning valve in the brake line circuit. FWIW, I have the standard Wilwood manual setup with the big Wilwood brakes in my 20th Anniversary Roadster. Driven two seasons now. Once you get used to the heavier pedal of manual brakes, they stop great. I don't regret leaving it manual, and have the same setup in my Coupe build. My two previous builds were both power, one of the them Whitby setup which does work well.

- For wipers, I'm using the Specialty Power Windows WWK-2 standard universal wiper drive kit. Learned about it in another build thread (a Hot Rod as I recall) and I too was not very excited about the Lucas style ones I've installed in Roadsters. I've had the Specialty Power Windows setup mocked up and working in my build. It has a similar concept (moving cable w/wheel boxes) but it's nicely made and much more robust. Plus cheaper. I'm very pleased with it. I got it through Speedway Motors. Details and pictures in my build thread.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-01-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://https://www.ffcars.com/forums...7=#post4604529

Wiper option to consider.

HTH,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! The coupe is a nice one to build, what colors are you considering?
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB - Thanks so much for the information. I hadn't considered that the Power Brakes would interfere with the remote bias adjuster knob, but now that you mention it... it makes complete sense. I had decided to stick with the stock Mustang brakes and do the booster, but perhaps I'm better off to opt for the upgraded brakes and stay manual... I'll check into the wiper kit. Given that part of the intrigue on doing the coupe is that I could drive further distances without having to worry about rain, wipers are a must. BTW, Edward, you build thread is very impressive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Congrats! The coupe is a nice one to build, what colors are you considering?
    KDubU - I haven't locked in on the colors just yet.. though currently considering the same colors as the Cobra (Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes), as I'm pretty sure I want to replicate the race car look with the meatball and sponsor stickers. We'll see!