Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Gen 3 Coyote - Fuel train

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote - Fuel train

I plan to put the Gen 3 Coyote into my Mk4. I am now at the point of my build where I am about to hang the fuel pressure regulator from the firewall. I bought the FFR in-tank pump with a firewall mounted regulator setup that works well with the Gen 2 Coyotes, however, that regulator tops out at 65 psig and I just read (EdwardB?) that the Gen 3 Coyote calls for 65 psig. Part of me says "Perfect! Just fits!", but another part says "Spend some money to get a regulator that I can operate closer to mid range...". What do you guys think? Can I stick with these parts that I have already paid for, or should I buy something that has a higher output range?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would personally prefer some head room in the regulator. My expierence has always been select a regulator that will run in the middle of its operating band.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Thanks for that feedback. I would like to find one that is good from 30 to 100, or something like that, and then run it at 65. I was just hoping that someone would chime in and teach me something that would make me want to use the one I already bought...

Post Thanks / Like
    I used an Aeromotive Universal 13129 Bypass Regulator in my Gen 3 Coyote Coupe build. Same one I used for the Gen 2 Coyote in my Roadster build. It's rated at 30-70 psi. I guess it would be OK if it had more range at the top and running more in the middle of the range. But I'm satisfied it will be fine. Aeromotive makes good quality parts. If they say it's good for 70 psi, I'm OK with that. I wouldn't recommend running the Gen 3 Coyote any differently than the 65 psi that Ford is recommending. As I understand, it's because of the dual fuel system -- port and direct injection -- on the Gen 3. Even though the direct injection has its own on-board pump. Those systems run at very high pressure.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-03-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward. I will look into that one. There are a lot of really low cost ($20) regulators that look just like the more expensive ($120) ones. I figure fuel management is not the place to save $100... but I want to know the product is quality, not just expensive. Automotive seems to be a good name, from what I have picked up over the past day or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where you're seeing regulators in this pressure range for $20. Certainly not anywhere I've looked. The lower priced ones are typically for carb'd engines with low (< 10 psi) pressure. Even the fittings for the Aeromotive regulators will cost more than that. Nothing cheap about any of this unfortunately. But then you're spending serious money for an engine package. Need to do it right. A whole bunch of guys have used a GM/Corvette regulator for their Coyote builds. Has a number of nice advantages, including that it's usually mounted back by the tank so only one line is needed to the engine compartment. But it's fixed at 58 psi. Slightly more than what Ford recommends for the Gen 2, but apparently isn't a problem. Also doesn't have the vacuum reference signal that Ford recommends. But some tuners don't want this used, and the engine seems OK without it. But it's less than the 65 psi recommended for the Gen 3, and I don't know what impact that would have. I haven't used it in either case. Perhaps some others will try it on the Gen 3. An example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...0263/overview/.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb- Less than thirty bucks, with shipping. "WLR Racing Store"... I know NOTHING about them... Stamped "PQY Performance".

Low cost version: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WLR-...AbTest=ae803_5

Higher cost 13129 Aeromotive version: https://quartermax.com/efi-bypass-regulator/

Wow. I am comparing the two and can not tell ANY difference. Same specs. Same fittings. Exact same shape. Surely they are manufactured by the same company... I would not think that the internals would differ between the two. Oh... Wait... The adjustment "stem" that comes out the top is taller on the low cost version. It may just be where it was set for the photo though... Seriously that is the only difference that I can see. I better study them some more...

I completely agree with you that I want to be sure the expensive 3rd Gen Coyote is getting its fuel at 65 psi. After I saw you mention it, I dug around a bit and found it noted somewhere else too. I would imagine Ford bumped up the pressure for a reason. I love the idea of the GM/Corvette solution, but not the pressure it supplies.

Thanks for thinking this through with me! (I have spent many hours looking through your posts. Really good stuff. Helping me prepare for the Gen 3. I am almost ready for my Coyote purchase. So... I am also almost ready for an "off the shelf" oil pickup!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That's clearly an Aeromotive knock-off. Aeromotive parts are made at their factory in Kansas. So what you're looking at is not made by the same company. Aeromotive talks about it here, and gives a bunch of examples: https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/buyer-...ne-aeromotive/. The part might be OK. I don't know. Have zero experience, and will stay that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a ton to learn... Thanks Edwardb. I am thinking "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Buy the U.S. designed and manufactured one.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

11. Likes toadster liked this post