Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  132
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick's 427 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Still Here

So, I've almost finalized my move to Texas. Unfortunately, in all the chaos, I haven't really had any time to work on my build. I'll be able to get back to it soon though.

In the meantime, I had the chance to stop by the Circuit of the Americas today. I live about 30 miles from it. It's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to watching the Formula 1 race there in November.

MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

2. Likes Boydster, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stalling

I took my car out this morning for a drive around the block, which only takes about 30 seconds, but as soon as I circled back around to my house, the car stalled.

I let it stand there for a few minutes and it would start again, but then immediately stall. I did this a few times and it kept stalling. I'm thinking the engine is getting flooded, maybe the fuel/air mixture is off?

Also, when I turn the key to "start" I would usually hear the fuel pump humming for a few seconds and then stop. However, now when I turn the key to the, "start" position, the fuel pump keeps humming and doesn't stop. Could it be possible that I don't have enough fuel in the tank? (FYI I have about 5 gallons in there, although I still haven't been able to get the fuel gauge to work yet)

I have a Holley Sniper EFI. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Pat
    Last edited by Pat427; 10-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    When mine acts like that I run through the "Set Up Wizard" from the beginning and she starts behaving.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

5. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stalling part 2

So I added another 1.5 gallons of gas to my fuel tank and things worked fine. The engine started and sounded great. I'm not sure about this situation as I had nearly 5 gallons of fuel in there when it was stalling, yet when I get the tank to about 6.5 gallons, things work fine.

Anyone with any thoughts on this?
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you were actually much lower on fuel than you thought... Just my guess... With all the little starts and revs and such that you do, you burn more than you think. The reason your pump continued to run I would guess is that it was starving for fuel and not able to bring the system up to pressure. But if you know for fact there was 5 gal in there, then you may have another problem. But that doesn't sound like the case due to the addition of 1.5 gal and things worked fine.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trans Cover and Papa Motivated

I decided to cover the transmission tunnel with leather and a French stitch on the edges. I think it turned out pretty good. It has some padding on it, which will hopefully add a little comfort when resting my elbow on it.

I'm not sure if everyone has seen the pictures of Papa's paint job, but seeing that really motivated me for some reason. Hopefully I can get to that stage soon.

I'm working on taking the body off this weekend and start buttoning up some things as well as look into why the fuel gauge isn't working. Hopefully I can make some head way.
    Last edited by Pat427; 10-10-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

10. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the props, Pat. Keep on chipping away at it ... one bite at a time!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

12. Thanks Pat427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job on the build thus far, keep up the good work!

14. Thanks Pat427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steering Shaft Wiggle

So, I've got another question for the forum.

I've noticed that my steering wheel as a little bit of wiggle in it. When I turn my steering wheel, the wheel (and hub..red arrow below) seems to turn a few millimeters before the hub feels like it "catches" the steering shaft.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and if so, what are some good fixes?

I'm worried about this wiggle eventually causing the edges of the shaft to become, "rounded" and thus the hub not really gripping the shaft at all, at which point the steering wheel would just spin on the shaft.

Thanks,

Pat
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Pat,
    Just to confirm, the hub has two flat sides as does the steering shaft. (remember when I should you how the 16mm wrench was the perfect size to use to turn the shaft) When you are ready to do your "final" install of the hub, you will be tightening down on the bolt (with hard washer) in the center of the hub. As you do that, it will pull the hub down on to the shaft and the fit between the shaft and hub should/will get very tight. But, I would not tighten it down all the way until you are really 100% sure you want to as it will/could be difficult to pull back off without a puller. Once you tighten it down, the slight play you speak of should be gone.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel Level

I'm still workin on the car..I promise. I've been MIA from the build thread for a while for several different reasons, but suffice it to say that I've officially made my return and hopefully can get this thing finished.

I'm still working on my fuel level issue.

To recap, when I calibrate my Fuel gauge on the dash, the gauge reads "E" even though I had gas in the tank. I follow the gauge calibration process exactly.

I took my fuel level unit out of the tank to inspect it.

Is this what everyones looks like? And I'm assuming this is what it looks like when the tank is empty.

I'm assuming this is what it looks like when the tank is full.

Is it just me or does it seem like the black floating bobber wouldn't reach the bottom of the tank when the gas level is really low? It seems like the depth of the tank is greater than the reach of the black float?

Any advice is welcome.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat,

Rather than struggle with where the float might be in the tank, get your multimeter out and check the resistance at the empty and full positions. They should read close to 16 and 158 Ohms respectively. If they don't, then the sender could be bad.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I don't know what it is, but I'm starting to think that you and BadAsp427 are somehow my lucky charms. It seems like whenever you two chime in, things magically start working.

So, I went to the garage to test the Ohms like you recommended. I turned on the power to the car and bam! the fuel gauge started reading the proper fuel level. I didn't really do anything different, it just started working.

I'm gonna chalk this up to the Cobra Gods. But again, thank you for the advice. It's always appreciated. FYI your car looks awesome.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

20. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat427 View Post
    Dave, I don't know what it is, but I'm starting to think that you and BadAsp427 are somehow my lucky charms. It seems like whenever you two chime in, things magically start working.

So, I went to the garage to test the Ohms like you recommended. I turned on the power to the car and bam! the fuel gauge started reading the proper fuel level. I didn't really do anything different, it just started working.

I'm gonna chalk this up to the Cobra Gods. But again, thank you for the advice. It's always appreciated. FYI your car looks awesome.
    No problem. My guess is it was stuck and by removing it and moving it through it's full range, you fixed it.

Dave

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Hey, just thought... if you want to make the drive to Summerville, I'd be happy to let you use my Chassis dolly and body buck. Dolly has a 21" lift.

Attachment 102067 Attachment 102068
    those are awesome! what patterns did you use to create those? looks perfect!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    That chassis dolly was made by Carl, aka BadAsp427. He's been integral in my success to this point. Touch base with him, I'm sure he can shed some light on those dolly plans.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Rookie Question

Silly little issue, but I can't seem to figure this out:

How do I get this knob to stay in? It just keeps pulling out.

MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    those are awesome! what patterns did you use to create those? looks perfect!

I built the dolly that you refer to. Here is my thread link for it... there is a link to the plans also in there. NOTE: I added a 4x4 for height and I used 6" lag bolts and Gorilla Wood glue as I assembled it. IMO Very important.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post336983

Post Thanks / Like
    That headlight switch shaft/knob should click into place when pushed in. Normally not a problem. Maybe wiggle it a little. Also maybe try pushing/wiggling the release button on the underside of the switch. Normally the shaft is long enough. I'm assuming your dash isn't extra thick and the retaining nut is screwed in adequately. Did by any chance you try to put it in before installing in the dash, e.g. with the retaining nut most of the way in? In the end, possible you have a defective switch. If so, on a new kit Factory Five may give you a new one. Or buy a genuine ACDelco D1588 replacement. About $20 on Amazon and perhaps elsewhere. IMO the branded ACDelco switch is better quality than the reproduction switch in the kit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, good luck, and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb,
    I don't think my dash is particularly thick, but then again, I don't really have a good point of reference. I have a layer of closed cellulose foam and then leather covering.
    I tried all the things you mentioned in your post, but no luck. I'm thinking of purchasing one off Amazon. Thank you for the part number. I'll keep ya'll posted.
    Last edited by Pat427; 11-13-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    My FFR supplied headlight switch is a bear to remove or install the knob/shaft. It seems I stumbled upon getting it to latch in, by turning the knob all the way to activate the interior lights, while pushing in. If that does not do it, try pressing the removal button on the switch, while doing the same. good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received a new headlight switch from Amazon today. The knob clicked into place and does not pull out. Like edwardb mentioned, the AC Delco part feels high quality.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

31. Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another win. Nice. They all add up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Body Liner

I spent the day applying a protective liner to the underside of the body. I used a product called Herculiner. I got it off Amazon.

Word to the wise: if you use this product, wear gloves.

This is the finished product.

I applied a heavy coat around the wheel wells to hopefully add some protection from pebbles flying around down there.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Who are you planning to use for body and paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    Who are you planning to use for body and paint?
    Greg,

Not sure yet. I'm leaning towards Kleiner.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like

...I'm leaning towards Kleiner.
    Be happy to do it for you but just be forewarned that I'll read you the riot act for painting that $hi+ all the way out to the edge of the wheelwells It is diabolical to get through and remove and will double the time it takes to finish out the wheel openings.

Word to anyone else---do your painters a favor and keep the bed liner/undercoat/whatever at least a couple inches back from all openings.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Be happy to do it for you but just be forewarned that I'll read you the riot act for painting that $hi+ all the way out to the edge of the wheelwells It is diabolical to get through and remove and will double the time it takes to finish out the wheel openings.

Word to anyone else---do your painters a favor and keep the bed liner/undercoat/whatever at least a couple inches back from all openings.

Jeff
    *palm-to-forehead*

I apologize Jeff. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make life easier on a painter (who will possibly be you)?
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    *palm-to-forehead*

I apologize Jeff. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make life easier on a painter (who will possibly be you)?
    Call me sometime.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Call me sometime.

Jeff
    Roger that
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress

I have a couple days off work, so I had some solid time in the garage today. I made a little bit of progress, which was nice.

First, I took apart the Breeze radiator shroud and my hood hinges in order to have those parts powder coated. I was always going to be bothered by those parts not being powder coated, so I decided to remedy the issue. I was able get them coated to match the previously powder coated parts.

Looks much better IMO.

Also, I installed the Russ Thompson throttle pedal. Like everything else I purchased from Russ, I'm very pleased with the quality of his products.

I'll be working on the cosmetics of the footbox later.

I also started on carpeting the trunk today, but ran out of adhesive. Pics to come.
    Last edited by Pat427; 11-25-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

41. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part Identification

Can anyone help me identify these parts? I assume they're part of the door frame.
    Perhaps someone has a picture of them installed?

Patrick
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat,

Those fill the gap along the bottom of the door sills once the body is in it's final position.

Dave

44. Likes Pat427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Pat,

Those fill the gap along the bottom of the door sills once the body is in it's final position.

Dave
    Perfect! Thank you Dave.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat, regarding that picture you posted of the gas pedal area, I used the same Thermo Tec and carpeted everything like you did, but recently cut the carpet and Thermo Tec away from where my foot rubs the foot box wall. The thing is, the the panel on the engine side angles in toward your foot and that can cause some annoying interference with the carpet on pedal application. I have small feet and found this to be an issue, so you might think about it. It turns out bare metal is the answer for me and you can’t see it unless you look for it.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Pat, regarding that picture you posted of the gas pedal area, I used the same Thermo Tec and carpeted everything like you did, but recently cut the carpet and Thermo Tec away from where my foot rubs the foot box wall. The thing is, the the panel on the engine side angles in toward your foot and that can cause some annoying interference with the carpet on pedal application. I have small feet and found this to be an issue, so you might think about it. It turns out bare metal is the answer for me and you can’t see it unless you look for it.
    In that case, do you have issues with heat on your foot?
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Trans Cover and Papa Motivated

I decided to cover the transmission tunnel with leather and a French stitch on the edges. I think it turned out pretty good. It has some padding on it, which will hopefully add a little comfort when resting my elbow on it.

I'm not sure if everyone has seen the pictures of Papa's paint job, but seeing that really motivated me for some reason. Hopefully I can get to that stage soon.

I'm working on taking the body off this weekend and start buttoning up some things as well as look into why the fuel gauge isn't working. Hopefully I can make some head way.

That turned out really nice, did you do the stitching and if so can you expound on how you did it a little?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nick7405 View Post
    That turned out really nice, did you do the stitching and if so can you expound on how you did it a little?
    nik7405,

Although I do a lot of stitching at my job, I can't take credit for this. I had this done professionally at a local automotive upholstery shop.
    Last edited by Pat427; 11-30-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    MK4-IRS, 427w, TKO-600

Post Thanks / Like
    In that case, do you have issues with heat on your foot?
    No, but I haven’t driven any miles in warm weather yet. If I do notice any any heat I plan to put insulation on the engine side opposite the foot area. I doubt that’ll be an issue though as the area is small.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast