Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: front suspension ball joint boots

Post Thanks / Like

front suspension ball joint boots

First newbie question:
    Not sure if I'm identifying these boots correctly. My lower control arms have boots on them already with kind of a bellows shape. The upper ball joints are bare.
    The bag of parts for the lower arms included two blue boots, not mentioned on the box parts sheet.
    The bag of parts for the upper arms included two black boots that seem too small to fit the upper ball joints, and the box parts sheet includes "33701 upper ball joint boot" which I had assumed were these.
    Are the blue ones that were in the lower bag intended for the upper?
    Then what are the black ones for? I checked the steering box, and the tie rod end already has a boot.
    identifyboots.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I have.. #997, Gen1..

But my black top ones do have a lip

5CA20DF4-1BC5-4FBE-88AD-C8076354F75C.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I think I'll go with the blue ones since they seem the correct size. Though I did notice that the black ones can fit inside the blue ones. I don't think that that's the intention though. My wife commented that it reminds her of a Lego set with all my parts laid out. In this case I'd be pretty concerned if I end up with extra pieces.

My method for identifying and accounting for all the parts prior to assembly:
    reduced 20201231_145643 lower control arm parts.jpgreduced 20201231_142832 upper control arm parts.jpg

4. Likes 33fromSD, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still not sure. Looking again before putting these on the frame, and the black one fits in the groove, so actually fits pretty good once compressed. So a choice between a boot that fits in the groove or one having a lip over the edge?
    Anyone know which would be better? Zero experience here. And whichever one I don't use must be an extra Lego piece.
    boots.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Either is fine, the only purpose of boot is to keep dust and grime out of the ball joint, it serves no mechanical function. My kit (arrived a little over 3 months ago) came with the black boot only. My guess is FFR sources from numerous suppliers and each supplier has their own boot style they ship with.

Once the control arm is installed and torqued down and at ride height the weight will hold the boot in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got both in my gen 1 kit as well, went with the blue and so far so good....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps FFR allows for a builder using a donor lower control arm, and ball joint, so they include a suitable boot for it?
    None of those look like what they used to supply, which is good, as the old black bellows type they used to include were terrible.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010