FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TN coupe builders (title and reg)

Post Thanks / Like

TN coupe builders (title and reg)

Hello, been lurking here for the better part of a year but just registered. Not shopping yet, but I would love to build a 65 coupe someday. For now, I’m just reading through other people’s build threads (aka, torturing myself).

Had a question though, and google wasn’t too helpful. I would assume I am like most guys on here, in that if I spend the time and money to build one of these cars then I want to be able to jump in and drive it whenever the mood strikes - not worry about what day of the week it is or some such.

Specifically looking for guys in Tennessee: were you able to register your car as a ‘normal’ vehicle, allowing you to drive at will? What I was able to find online seemed to put the car in the same category as an antique: drive on weekends, to and from mechanic, to and from car shows, parades, etc. And that seems to basically be it.

Anyone have a better answer, closer to a ‘daily driver’?

Post Thanks / Like
    I registered mine in Tennessee as a "regular" car with personalized plate. No restrictions. If you go with an antique plate then you have the parade type restrictions but what I understand from others those rules are not really enforced.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the process fairly straight forward? As in, did they know the process without making you jump through unnecessary hoops, or was there a lot of digging and arguing to figure out the proper way to do it?

All I could find online regarding a replica car in TN was essentially treating it like an antique, like I said. This is more for my own curiosity than anything, it’s gonna be a few years before I’m able to dive in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I walked in with the MSO from FFR and walked out with a plate 15 min later. Got the title in the mail about two weeks after that. With the SEMA law in TN you can register it as a 1965 and avoid emissions testing in certain counties.
    If in doubt......flat out-Colin McRae

Coupe #485

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boatguy View Post
    Was the process fairly straight forward? As in, did they know the process without making you jump through unnecessary hoops, or was there a lot of digging and arguing to figure out the proper way to do it?

All I could find online regarding a replica car in TN was essentially treating it like an antique, like I said. This is more for my own curiosity than anything, it’s gonna be a few years before I’m able to dive in.
    Yes, McMinn county knew exactly what to. About 15 minutes as stated above. Walked out with plates and registration. Got the title in a week or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Topfuelhydro View Post
    Yes, McMinn county knew exactly what to. About 15 minutes as stated above. Walked out with plates and registration. Got the title in a week or two.
    Is this Steven Trew?
    If in doubt......flat out-Colin McRae

Coupe #485

Post Thanks / Like