Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Seat Options?

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Options?

Still considering options for the seats in the Coupe. I ordered the Aluminum high back racing seats... but seeing now that they are suggested for racing only. And I'm a bit worried that the side support will make it more difficult to get in and out. What other options have you guys used that are comfortable for everyday driving. I'm definitely going with something high-back and a head rest. Options are really appreciated. Thanks in advance

I've seen the "Corbeau Sportline Evolution X" and they look really good. Just trying to determine if there are others that you guys would recommend.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Really... Nobody has any comments or suggestions on seats? How about some comments on the comfort of the Kirkey aluminum racing seats for daily street driving?
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB has some Corbeaus that look nice. I just wrapped up seat installation with the Kirkey Highbacks and they are snug for sure. ingress and egress are challenging even without the body and doors on. I have an thin to average build and I feel squished. If I did it again, I would go with Corbeau or something else.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Seats are an interesting challenge with the Coupe. I've told this story before. When I saw the prototype of the Gen 3 Coupe at Factory Five during the Open House a couple years ago, promptly climbed in and sat down. It had Kirkey low-back racing seats (just aluminum, no covers) and I promptly dropped on the floor. Felt like I was 12 again in my father's Oldsmobile just barely able to see over the steering wheel. Not to mention how much harder that made it to get out. I'm 5-10 and pretty average, so right there realized seat selection would be important. I understand they showed it that way to demonstrate how much headroom it had compared to previous versions. But sure didn't work for me. My wife is only 5-5, so also important to do something different for her.

I ordered my Coupe with the standard Roadster seats, just to check how they fit and if the height was closer to what I wanted. Used them to comparison shop and settled on the Corbeau's shown in my build thread. What I learned in the process is that (1) High backs were a must. The roll cage is all around your head and close. Low backs weren't an option. (2) Many racing seats have "wings" on the sides that really get in the way for getting in and out. I picked seats where that was minimized. (3) Seatback tilt wasn't important because the seats were basically already at the back of the cockpit plus makes the base wider in some cases and then they don't fit well down there. (4) The seats I chose don't quite go all the to the cockpit back wall because of the intrusion of the corner wheel well area. For me, that's OK because of my height. Someone taller would probably need to select different seats to maximize the space. (5) I can see why many choose to use a removable steering wheel. I'm OK without it. But for some, it might be essential.

I know that doesn't give you any specific recommendations. But kind of what I used to evaluate what was out there. Lots of choices, and typically the websites have quite a few dimensions. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-08-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I deleted the seats entirely and took a $400 credit from FFR. I am debating doing an FIA certified seat (they certification expires and they are double the price) vs a Corbeau seat. For now use a milk carton and save yourself $400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    I deleted the seats entirely and took a $400 credit from FFR. I am debating doing an FIA certified seat (they certification expires and they are double the price) vs a Corbeau seat. For now use a milk carton and save yourself $400.
    Agree deleting the seats is an option. I went ahead and took the standard Roadster seats knowing I wasn't planning to use them but that they would be useful for fitting. Which they turned out to be. Once done with them, advertised on the forum and sold them in a couple days for $375. Just saying sometimes deleting stuff is the right choice. But if useful for your build, and something that's desirable like seats, you can typically turn over new stuff for about the same as the credit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m leaning towards the evolution line. I have a gen 1 with a 2 inch lowered floor. This is about the same as the gen 3 with regards to interior room. I started with kirkey vintage and like the look,ease of entry/exit, but not the lack of safety. Then Hi back kirkey, they were safe but not with any ease of entry/exit. I currently have corbeau a100 (or something like that) These are similar in size to the evolution. These things are great. Easy to get in and out, safe. I don’t think you can go wrong with evolution line.

8. Likes Gbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the 'newer' Kirkey highback seats- they are 2-piece and allow the back to raised/lowered with respect to the seat-pan- good for me as I'm 5'6" and have the driver seat on a slider as well as a 1" square-tube spacer.

You can get them in different seat-pan widths. I went narrow for me as the driver but put a wider one for the passenger (1" square-tube spacer with the seat all the way back).

Being that the driver seat in on a slider, my habit is to have the seat all the way back when I get in and out of the car- also minimizes pulling on seat-belt straps as I belt up with the seat slid back and then slide forward- easy in and out. And the seats are light- and you can remove the covers and wash them.

Dave Gen III #17

Post Thanks / Like
    Gen II that I use as my daily driver, so I wanted to look into options on seats. Best I can tell, if you insist on high back which I did for safety, its pretty much the Kirkey. Even went so far as to buy some (can't remember the make) and test fit, we just couldn't make it work. Its a race car, its tight! I'm 6'1" and pretty comfy in the drivers seat. Hour and a half is about as much time as I want to sit in it without a break. Passenger seat just doesn't go back far enough without major work. My experience. I'm sure there is something out there to try if you look hard enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Kirkey high backs in my MK4. Added in a lumbar support and seat heaters. They are just fine comfort wise for daily driving. I actually really like them but then again I have never driven the car more than 90 minutes in one sitting. Cant tell you how they would feel on a long road trip.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to suggest you look into Tillett seats. I've got an 818c and my issues were similar, except for trying to match up to some historic racer. Regardless, seating position & fit is equally important. These seats are grf/carbon fiber composite & ergonomically shaped as well as light(8lbs). They have no "wings" to obstruct entry/exit. They are available with pads for an extra charge. They may not match your idea of a '65 coupe seat, but I can assure you that they are comfortable even without the pads. A little pricey @ around $750/seat without pads or shipping. Pads are around $150 per seat. They come in various widths and styles. The seats incorporate a tasteful head pad as well. I bought mine a few years back, so prices may have changed. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Zakari3030 website. There are plenty of pictures of these seats in all types of cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    My seats are the B5 model. They don't look like they have much lateral support, but looks are deceiving. The low sides make for much easier entry/exit if your cockpit is tight. They are also offered in a wider version for fat people.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jdavis500;356913]EdwardB has some Corbeaus that look nice. I just wrapped up seat installation with the Kirkey Highbacks and they are snug for sure. ingress and egress are challenging even without the body and doors on. I have an thin to average build and I feel squished. If I did it again, I would go with Corbeau or something else.

Do you know which Corbeaus are compatible with the MKIV?

Thanks. gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Still considering options for the seats in the Coupe. I ordered the Aluminum high back racing seats... but seeing now that they are suggested for racing only. And I'm a bit worried that the side support will make it more difficult to get in and out. What other options have you guys used that are comfortable for everyday driving. I'm definitely going with something high-back and a head rest. Options are really appreciated. Thanks in advance

I've seen the "Corbeau Sportline Evolution X" and they look really good. Just trying to determine if there are others that you guys would recommend.
    Corbeau A4 and A4 wide. EdwardB installed them in his. I am putting the A4 wide in my 70 Mustang restomod, fit great and feel good for the money. Take a look at Racing Seats USA as they have sales periodically. I caught their Black Friday sale last year for 10% off my full order for orders over about $400 at I recall.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html