Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Wheel Adaptor Interference

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Wheel Adaptor Interference

So last night I put the steering wheel on the steering column. After that step, naturally I went to move the steering wheel side to side to see how it felt - it wouldn't budge. Thought I'd made a mistake with the u-joints and D-shafts that caused binding but that was not the case. In the end I found that when I tightened the nut down that holds the steering wheel adaptor on the column it caused the adaptor to press into the top of the column causing binding. Anyone else come across this? Seems like it needs a spacer or something to hold the adaptor a little higher. (It's the chrome, tilt column option)

Addendum: Was just looking at the Ididit web site tech support regarding adaptors. It said the following:
    How much of a gap should be between the back of the adaptor and the top of the column? When you set the steering wheel onto the splined shaft of the column you will see a 1/4 inch gap (approximately.) The shaft is tapered, so when you tighten the nut the gap should end up between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch.

Clearly, I have no gap and there was no taper...
    Last edited by FF33rod; 02-05-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    So last night I put the steering wheel on the steering column. After that step, naturally I went to move the steering wheel side to side to see how it felt - it wouldn't budge. Thought I'd made a mistake with the u-joints and D-shafts that caused binding but that was not the case. In the end I found that when I tightened the nut down that holds the steering wheel adaptor on the column it caused the adaptor to press into the top of the column causing binding. Anyone else come across this? Seems like it needs a spacer or something to hold the adaptor a little higher. (It's the chrome, tilt column option)

Addendum: Was just looking at the Ididit web site tech support regarding adaptors. It said the following:
    How much of a gap should be between the back of the adaptor and the top of the column? When you set the steering wheel onto the splined shaft of the column you will see a 1/4 inch gap (approximately.) The shaft is tapered, so when you tighten the nut the gap should end up between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch.

Clearly, I have no gap and there was no taper...
    I had this issue as well, the first time I installed my steering wheel. I hadn't seen the Ididit information, but I did loosen the nut a bit and pulled the steering wheel back about 1/16", placed a plastic shim between the adapter and column, just during tightening of the nut and then removed after tight.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

3. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is not unusual to have to add a shim. I have done it on a few builds.

5. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, will have a look at this tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Thanks guys, will have a look at this tonight.
    I remember a couple posts about shims or washers in there to help with the gap. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried a make shift plastic washer last night and it did the trick. For the permanent solution I'll pick up a proper one. Thanks again
    Steve