Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So Who Will Be The First?

Post Thanks / Like

So Who Will Be The First?

To put this in their car? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w&t=559s

The new 7.3 pushrod gas motor from Ford. I want to say that this will open up other options to guys that don't want to go the way of the LS. Excited to see how this performs, price, and aftermarket support.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mr. Scott,

With diesel engines now being totally over complicated to meet Federal emission standards, plus diesel fuel not being what it once was from a pricing and long term stability standpoint, I think it makes sense to go down the gasoline or E85 path.

My disappoint..(On The Surface & I'm Likely Wrong)..is seeing what Ford produced really looks like they took the LS design and simply attempted to refine it. Hopefully it will be a bit hit in their trucks and personally I'd like to see it in their Mustang's over their current V-8.

It would be great if Ford created a Real Lincoln Continental & Mark Series plus a Real Crown Victoria designed around this power-plant because:

>..Remember when you could tow a boat or a camper with the family sedan?
    >..Remember when a Lincoln was the American Car of Cars and made the Cadillac seem cheap by comparison?

Steve

A Ford Fan & Customer Until 1999 When I Lost All Faith In That Brand!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks mighty tall which is understandable for a truck engine---if so it may not be a good candidate for fitting under the roadster or Coupe hoods. Also being a truck engine it is probably designed around low end grunt (i.e.; bore & stroke combination and rod length, port sizes, etc.) rather than higher RPM power, much like the old 385 series engines. It'll be fun to see how it all shakes out and develops!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Looks mighty tall which is understandable for a truck engine---if so it may not be a good candidate for fitting under the roadster or Coupe hoods. Also being a truck engine it is probably designed around low end grunt (i.e.; bore & stroke combination and rod length, port sizes, etc.) rather than higher RPM power, much like the old 385 series engines. It'll be fun to see how it all shakes out and develops!

Jeff
    Jeffski,

I be it is a 4.125" bore with a 4.125" Stroke!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's 4.22 bore and 3.97 stroke (444.2 cubic inches).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's 4.22 bore and 3.97 stroke (444.2 cubic inches).

Jeff
    https://youtu.be/f5dMqHqC4pM

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know the weight of that monster. Too tall!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of videos that are out there:

https://youtu.be/2FtNlfAbc2w

https://youtu.be/dJKBm9W8qAY

Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on the hunt for a '61 - '64 Country Squire for a dog hauler, FFR tow vehicle, and cross-country cruiser (think Rt. 66) and was planning on doing a Coyote swap. If this becomes available as a crate motor in the next year or two, it will be a candidate instead of the Coyote.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a '61 - '64 Country Squire for a dog hauler, FFR tow vehicle, and cross-country cruiser (think Rt. 66) and was planning on doing a Coyote swap. If this becomes available as a crate motor in the next year or two, it will be a candidate instead of the Coyote.
    YES! YES! YES! In my fantasies is an early to mid 60s Country Squire Cobra hauler If you do it Chris I know it will be awesome! Hurry up, I want to see it

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Just this past weekend I saw a mid sixties Country Squire in a parking lot and said to my wife "check that out, that could be fun". She didn't see it..... I still think that it would be cool.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Would A 1968 Work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Ford-C...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Post Thanks / Like
    YES! YES! YES! In my fantasies is an early to mid 60s Country Squire Cobra hauler If you do it Chris I know it will be awesome! Hurry up, I want to see it

Jeff
    I am so on board with this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dimensionally speaking, is it is not a "big block", right? . It is probably heavy, but aluminum heads would help, a little LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Dimensionally speaking, is it is not a "big block", right? . It is probably heavy, but aluminum heads would help, a little LOL
    It basically is a big block. No Siamese cylinders. Larger iron block. 444 cubes. Definitely a "big block". Dimensionally, it is closer to the size (width) of a small block but is also quite tall.

I don't see it being a hot rodder's motor, either. Gonna be a low RPM torque monster, but may be a good candidate for the '35 truck depending on weight and purpose of the 35. Strap some turbos on it maybe, according the build materials it is going to be very durable and uses many similarly finished parts (pistons, rods, etc). Might be a good truck to trade a diesel on for a refined gas engine if it tows well. I was NOT a fan of the 5.0 in the SD. Wasted engine.

I'll let some rookies test them for a few years... jury is still out, but on the surface I think Ford did a great job!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Videos. I haven't seen the actual bore center mentioned. The FE was 4.62" I think. They do say its a little longer than the 6.7L. Does resemble a tall deck LS in some ways. My eye caught those tall beehive valve springs which would be nice in a 500lb/inch rate! Pushrod alignment looks excellent. Stainless Exhaust manifolds look turbo ready. Pistons are so compact now. The ring pack is tight. High port heads with those tall springs means its a breather. Hopefully the plugs won't weld into the head with those tube shields on. Should have plenty of torque for the Country Squire. Will that 10 speed fit in the wagon??

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who have encouraged me (Mrs. Gumball would say "please don't"), my preference is a '61, which had the last vestiges of tail fins and also had the round "jet age" tail lights. Here's the look I'm going for - best would be wimbledon (creamy) white with red interior. I'd add the modern engine, good brakes, larger wheels and tires, lowered (possibly air) suspension, A/C, a decent stereo, front bucket seats with console, and go cruisin'.

And if you're familiar with the term "lead sled" to describe '40s and '50s long, low, hot rods, then you may enjoy the license plate that I have on order for my some-day wagon that will haul my Siberian Huskies around.

Ford_Galaxie_Country_Squire_Wagon_eBay_1417658869.jpg

Wagon Plate.JPG
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris that would be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's an awesome '61 wagon you posted. You'd want air suspension just to overcome that monster overhang in the rear when towing.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That would definitely be an interesting build!