FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission noob questions

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission noob questions

I'm currently trying to plan out a long term build and i've seen a few transmission options out there. For a reasonable build that wont have a 500+ hp motor in it, what have you found to be a successful transmission and about how much $$ should I plan to spend? I've seen the Mendeola transmission at $10k and I'm not sure i really want to spend that much.... I apologize in advance if this question pushes any boundaries.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're trying to get by as inexpensive as possible, you're probably going to want to stick with one of the Porsche G50 units.....and to keep it under $10k you're probably going to have to shop around for a used one...like a G50-03. Those seem to be the most popular.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The transaxle seems to be the biggest sticking point on these cars. Having very, very limited experience I will give you my 2 cents worth. I have a car with a Mendeola SDR5 with 4.11 gears. Seems that by what everyone says this transmission can take the 500 HP with ease, some of the Porsche units seem to be questionable. The 4.11's on the highway are too much, 3.55 would be better but not optimum. Mendeola gear ratios are perfect for for an LS engine, Porsche transmission seem to have way too low 1st gear sets, and the gearing is just not right for an LS engine. Mendeola does not shift like all the factory transmission you have ever driven, I am going to try and do some changes to get this to work better, but according to others it will never shift like a factory OEM transmission, Porsche unit will shift like an OEM transmission. IMHO this car really needs a 6 speed transmission, but there do not seem to be any inexpensive options out there. A Ricardo would be a dream, but nowadays they cost almost as much as a complete GTM kit, although once in a while a deal comes up on eBay. I am not sure that you will even save that much money by going to a used Porsche unit, they have gotten really expensive, and some of the ancillaries needed are more than what you will pay for the same parts for a Mendeola... Seems that the only viable option at this point in time is a Mendeola, unless you have a way to get a used G50 at a really good deal. Maybe when the Corvette C8 comes out there will be a transaxle out there that was designed by an OEM, with OEM reliability and driving characteristics, and with gearing perfectly suited for an LS engine. We can only hope :-)
    Last edited by 72442conv; 02-12-2019 at 03:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 72442conv View Post
    Maybe when the Corvette C8 comes out there will be a transaxle out there that was designed by an OEM, with OEM reliability and driving characteristics, and with gearing perfectly suited for an LS engine. We can only hope :-)
    Remember, the Ricardo was available in the Ford GT, and there was a problem with the transaxle that the manufacturer fixed on recall, so there were actually MANY extra transmissions out there floating around, and yet they are ridiculously expensive. I wouldn't hold my breath that the C8 transaxle will be a dream come true bargain. As you say, the only reasonable option at this point seems to be the Mendeola. Also remember, that you are getting 100% new parts with the Mendeola for the same or better price as a used Porsche product that doesn't really get the job done properly.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts