FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions about Coyote Power Module with T56 (M-9000-PMCM)

Post Thanks / Like

Questions about Coyote Power Module with T56 (M-9000-PMCM)

Hi all,

I'm looking at engine options for my recently ordered Coupe, and the Ford Performance Coyote Power Module setup seems too good to pass up (https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...nsmission.html).

Does anyone have any experience putting one of these in a Gen III Coupe? I am going with the live rear axle and I was told by FFR that the only thing I'll have to do is shorten the drive-shaft, but I've seen some other posts here that say it's a really tight fit and may even require some frame adjustments.

I really like the idea of having a complete engine setup where I know everything is there, works together, and I can just drop in and go. Plus and the T56 seems like a more modern transmission.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Alpha,

You can do the same from e-bay out of a wrecked car for about half

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-GT-5-0L-Coyote-Engine-and-6-Speed-Auto-Trans-Turnkey-5K-Miles/153367476930?epid=2211731527&hash=item23b569fac2:g :gFsAAOSwsQJcWvyw:rk:2f:0

may not be the T56 but if it handles the Mustang it should handle the Coupe.

HTH,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be a good idea to consider one of the vendors that supports this forum for your engine package. They have sold many packages to builders and have lots of experience to draw from whether your in the planning stage, installation or troubleshooting stage. They know what you need before you know what you needd.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

4. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a Gen 3 Coupe with a Gen 3 Coyote and T-56. It's IRS, so a bit different than yours. But still hopefully can provide some input. The Gen 3 Coyote is exactly the same dimensionally as the Gen 2 in that package. With my setup, the driveshaft is 9.75" long. I would expect yours would be similar, if not slightly longer because the IRS diff is a bit bigger and requires an adapter on the yoke. For a Roadster the T-56 is not recommended with a solid axle. The driveshaft gets really short and angles can be a problem with the moving diff. But for the longer wheelbase Coupe, it works. Also the frame for the Gen 3 Coupe easily handles the T-56. Again different than the Roadster and previous gen Coupes. Pictures and more details about my installation in my build thread, link in sig line below.

The package from Ford is OK. But they are all commonly and easily available parts. I don't know if they assemble it for you. If you're looking for a completely assembled powertrain, check with Factory Five. They're selling them complete and ready to install. But my standard line for people on this subject is if you can build a car, you ought to be able to assemble a clutch, bell housing, trans, etc. It's all pretty straightforward and the parts well proven.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.