Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Engine choice input wanted.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

Engine choice input wanted.

Hi all.

I am inching towards ordering a complete kit later this year or next year. Some background. I live in Norway, where it just recently became possible to build and title a homebuilt car. One of the limitations is a max horsepower of 20kw (almost 29 HP) per 100 kg (220 lbs) finished car, so about 290 hp for a 2200 Lb car. That is curb weight including all fluids, spare tire and tool kit. So, the heavier engine i have, the more horsepower i can have.
    I would like to build a roadster with the IRS, large brakes and coil overs. I am shooting for a well balanced, well handling car, a corner carver if you will. So, I was originally planning for a small block with fuel injection. But then I started reading a little bit about those BB builds, and how happy a lot of those owners are with the engine choice.
    So here's my dilemma. I have a Q-code 69 CJ428 Mach1 Mustang that'll have to go to finance my roadster. I have two engines for this car. The original CJ engine, which is complete,but in pieces needing an extensive rebuild, and another freshly rebuilt 428 sitting in the car that is a CJ engine in all respects but the block, which I think might be a SR block?? It has som ribbing down the sides externally. I was planning on selling the Mustang with both engines, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should keep the running 428 and use it in my build, and instead sell the Mustang with the original engine only.

So I am wondering how balanced and agile a BB car will be compared a small block equipped car. It is my understanding that the Roadster is biased a little bit towards the rear weight wise, so maybe it will balance out better with a BB?
    I also don't know how much an all steel 428 equipped car will weigh, anybody knows?

Sorry for the long post. English is not my first language, so I tend to get a bit long winded....
    Last edited by Blue Viking; 02-09-2019 at 06:34 AM.