BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: GTM Stereo Mounting Question

Post Thanks / Like

GTM Stereo Mounting Question

I can’t seem to find much information on mounting a stereo in the GTM. I have seen several installations with a double DIN radio in the Gen II GTM, but no pictures or information on how you mount the stereo, attachment methods to the instrument panel, etc. I have Shanes stereo close out panel, but I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Mike Kraus
    Gen II GTM, past Go-Kart stage

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Thread/page3

check out my post #104. It is straight forward install. Just cut hole and install.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several things to consider in mounting a stereo in a GTM.

1. Apparently not all double DIN stereo's are the same size. I know that we've installed a couple that I thought were double-DIN without modifying the dash. On the vast majority of double-DIN installs, the entire mounting area of the dash needs to be modified.....as in cut the vent holes off the dash and move them up to make clearance for the stereo and then bond them back on and work to blend them back into dash so they look normal. Since the Double DIN takes up so much more room, you will also have to slit the bottom of the stereo-close-out panel and bend it down to clear the bottom rear corner of the stereo and then bridge the gap with some foil tape or anything to block the air from the tunnel.

2. If you're mounting a singe DIN unit with our Stereo Close-Out Panel, you will want to mount it higher up....closer to the vents instead of right down as low as you can against the crease in the dash. Otherwise, the bottom rear edge of the stereo will not clear the close-out and you'll have to do as described above with the double DIN.

3. Before you purchase a stereo, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE MOUNTING DEPTH. Many stereos....especially Pioneer it seem....are very deep. About the max mounting depth you can get away with is 6.75". There are lots of stereos that the mounting depth is well over 7". This will smash the back edge of the stereo right into the main chassis tube and the front face of the stereo will still be sticking way out of the dash. Since many stereos now do not have a CD player, the mounting depth is not as bad. JVC is the brand I gravitate toward because CD or no CD, they normally have a shallower mounting depth than most others. The new "multi-media" stereos only have a mounting depth of less than 4".

4. No matter whether it's a single or double DIN, make sure the stereo comes with the mounting sleeve. Cut the hole in the dash to EXACTLY fit the outside of the mounting sleeve, install the sleeve and use the bend-over tabs in the sleeve to secure it to the dash. If you cut a sloppy hole, this will not work and you'll end up having to fabricate something from scratch.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

4. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post