Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Cobra for a youtube series

Post Thanks / Like

Building a Cobra for a youtube series

hey guys my lady and I just bought a house in the boulder colorado area and are moving out there from silicon valley ca. since it's our first time with a garage, and it's a big 3 car garage, i figured now would be a good time to throw together a factory five and document the process for social media. We're in our 20's, she's an engineer at google and I'm a fitness coach at apple and neither of us really know much about cars so this will be a fun way to learn. We recently rebuilt a 66' mustang in our driveway, and realized if we ever want to do in-depth work on cars we needed a real garage. I'll post links to the youtube videos and maybe ask some questions when we get stumped. The plan is to build and sell a cobra, and if we enjoy it maybe build one for ourselves (possibly a 33' hotrod or the upcoming supercar that factory five is planning to release).

2. Likes Straversi, Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is awesome. Can't wait to follow along. Glad to see some younger people in the hobby.
    Growing up in Colorado I expect you will like Boulder a lot.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    This should be interesting.

Jeff

5. Likes mburger, cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to follow along!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just so you're not surprised, it will PROBABLY cost you more to build, than you can sell it for.
    Your 2 most needed skills will be Problem-Solving and Determination, not mechanical (although it certainly helps).

Good luck and keep us posted, they are a lot of fun to build, even more fun to drive.

Btw, our club (Gateway Cobra Club) is planning our Long-Haul Cruise to Denver 8/18 - 8/23. We expect about 12-ish cars and will be cruising the fun-roads around the area, if you want to catch up with us you can ask questions and get a lot of knowledge from the group. I should have a schedule / itinerary soon.
    Last edited by MPTech; 02-11-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

9. Thanks Kalvin28 thanked for this post
    Likes Kalvin28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds interesting, welcome.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Boulder and a Cobra seem kind of like like oil & water, unless you are doing an all electric or pedal powered version. Welcome to Colorado and to the FFR family. I have a free body buck available if you want it.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

12. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool
    Serious question... do you plan to build one and sell it for a profit?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone, yeah the offers we have so far are about 1.5x the build cost but we might end up keeping it and building them another if we like it enough. I’ll post up the YouTube video of what we have so far but I have to say I’m NOT impressed with the quality of the chassis so far. The front lower control arm mounts are all over the place. One of them is 3/8” smaller than the others and will have to be either ground down, bent (doubtful) or completely cut off and re welded. I’m wondering what the point of a kit car is when I have to start cutting and welding chassis parts on. That being said I’m stayig optimistic that maybe we just discovered crappy mistakes early on and the rest of the chassis will be correct! The 427 and 5 speed we ordered from Forte parts connection are being dyno’d today as well, so I’ll post up the results of that. Mike forte has been awesome to talk to and very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/iT9-fATipX4

Follow that link to the first YouTube video! The editing won’t be anything fancy so don’t expect magic but we’ll try to post updates over the next few months!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Congrats on the delivery and good luck with the build. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

-John
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin28 View Post
    Thanks everyone, yeah the offers we have so far are about 1.5x the build cost .
    Waving the BS flag as high as possible. LOL
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

18. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the popcorn ready.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard and you will be surprised as you work your way through the entire process as to how rewarding building a car really is.
    Good Luck & Know That The Folks On This Forum Are Here To Help You Both!
    Just understand that we like spending other people's money.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-19-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’ll post up the YouTube video of what we have so far but I have to say I’m NOT impressed with the quality of the chassis so far. The front lower control arm mounts are all over the place. One of them is 3/8” smaller than the others and will have to be either ground down, bent (doubtful) or completely cut off and re welded.

How Much Difference Do You Have Between The Tabs Where They Are Welded Versus The Opening Between The Tabs Where The Lower Control Arm Mount?

You may be able to spread the lower bracket by inserting a piece of threaded rod through the holes and using a couple of nuts in the center of the rod to spread the bracket.
    Mechanically you can likely spread them by simply doing a little wrench swinging if they aren't so far off that they need to be cut off and be re-welded.
    Just put some washers between the frame and the nuts to spread the load plus the washers will protect the powder coating.
    If this doesn't work, contact Factory Five as soon as you can and send them some photos.
    My dealings with Factory Five have been very good so I hope yours will be too.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-19-2019 at 10:43 AM.

22. Thanks Kalvin28 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second what GoDadGo said. When I first got my chassis and did some test-fitting of control arms, all the mounts needed a little spreading with a threaded rod and some hardened washers/nuts. One, in particular, was pretty far off (also about 3/8") and I was sure it needed some sort of cutting/re-welding. I called FFR not once but twice because I was pretty uncomfortable with the situation but they were pretty chill about it and said to just spread them as far as necessary to get the control arms in there and everything will be fine. They were right.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

24. Thanks GoDadGo, Kalvin28 thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo, Kalvin28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, it being that far off was certainly disconcerting. I got it sorted and the front suspension buttoned up last night, I’d like to have a roller by sometime next week but haven’t gotten rubber on the halibrand knock offs yet. I’ll be interested what they say when we get it aligned down the road though lol hopefully the rest of the chassis was built to more exact tolerances (although I’ve accepted that I’ll be doing a lot more fab work than advertised) Thanks again for the replies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

How Much Difference Do You Have Between The Tabs Where They Are Welded Versus The Opening Between The Tabs Where The Lower Control Arm Mount?

You may be able to spread the lower bracket by inserting a piece of threaded rod through the holes and using a couple of nuts in the center of the rod to spread the bracket.
    Mechanically you can likely spread them by simply doing a little wrench swinging if they aren't so far off that they need to be cut off and be re-welded.
    Just put some washers between the frame and the nuts to spread the load plus the washers will protect the powder coating.
    If this doesn't work, contact Factory Five as soon as you can and send them some photos.
    My dealings with Factory Five have been very good so I hope yours will be too.
    This is exactly the question that made me feel better! The difference between where the tab was mounted and the actual holes for the lower control arms was significant, leading me to think their measurements were decent and it was just a bit of shift during the welding process- Either way I’m not ashamed to say a torch and a large mallet did the trick and squared it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly the question that made me feel better! The difference between where the tab was mounted and the actual holes for the lower control arms was significant, leading me to think their measurements were decent and it was just a bit of shift during the welding process- Either way I’m not ashamed to say a torch and a large mallet did the trick and squared it up.
    Glad You Got It Sorted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Got the popcorn ready.
    No kidding right?
    Frank

29. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Waving the BS flag as high as possible. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Got the popcorn ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    No kidding right?
    Maybe this will help explain it...

Sorry, Kalvin! I couldn't resist poking a little fun at the People's Republic of Boulder. In all seriousness, if it were that easy to turn a 50% profit building these, I would be on my next build already! Good luck with the build and I hope it works out the way you have planned.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 05-19-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

31. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best part of Boulder is probably the brewery.
    Extra butter on my popcorn please.
    All kidding aside good luck with your build.
    You need to get or build a big workbench.
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-19-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol these replies are so cringey. If you want to turn a profit on anything, you have to use your brain. I could teach you guys how I got 4 buyers lined up at 75k for these if you’d like, or you can go on eating your popcorn and watch haha. Either way I’m excited for the finished product and will post updates regularly to the YouTube channel!

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I could teach you guys how I got 4 buyers lined up at 75k for these if you’d like, or you can go on eating your popcorn and watch haha...
    It must be your honesty:

"We will be building this car in our garage. and no, we don't know what the hell we are doing."

Looking forward to following along!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed! I want to learn how this is done. Most of the nicer builds I've seen for sale have sold in the $35-45k range with the occasional exceptional build bringing more. I have more than that in parts in my car. Of course there are people selling oceanfront property in Arizona, so anything is possible. Good luck and I'll enjoy watching your progress on YouTube.

Dave

36. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed too. Hope I don't run out of popcorn, this is going to be good.
    Being Apple and Google peeps I hope you can handle that 427, it's not going to be anything like driving a Prius.

Once you start the build we'll stop razzing you.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-20-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55

38. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to go along with Jeff here, it must be your honesty that appeals to people (buyers) . . . they are willing to pay for your effort to build and the "entertainment value" of watching or following along two inexperienced builders tackle this build.

Ask as many questions as possible, there is an enormous amount of talent on this and the other forum (mostly comprised of the same people) that will be more than willing to help out when you get to parts you have trouble with. I know I will be following along.

Good luck and may the F5 forces be with you . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

40. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a first time builder, and first time you tuber. My videos are not at all professional, but was what I did to get thoughts out of my head, and to document the process. No money related. But fyi, I have found that when viewers find your channel, they are interested in direct information on how to do something instead of watching you "learn your way" through a build.

Good luck with your venture. Dave

Link to my videos on Build A Cobra
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

42. Thanks Kalvin28 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol these replies are so cringey. If you want to turn a profit on anything, you have to use your brain. I could teach you guys how I got 4 buyers lined up at 75k for these if you’d like, or you can go on eating your popcorn and watch haha. Either way I’m excited for the finished product and will post updates regularly to the YouTube channel!
    OK, I'll bite. Please teach me how you got four buyers lined up to pay $75K for it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If this is true perhaps you can let them know I have a 15th Anniversary MKIV (one of 15) available for $55k:

This car is fairly famous, having been displayed at several FFR events and winning runner-up, best in show at the HB cruise-in. The build thread has over 250K views on this site.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David,

You for got to also explain that your car is likely the only Factory Five that can properly fit a Wookiee sized driver.

Steve

46. Likes Kalvin28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wrenched at an AMC dealership in the '60's, and I still am apprehensive about my car building skills... Hope their life insurance is paid up... Good luck to them...

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m also in the 15 year anniversary club and would sell in a heartbeat for that amount. Heck, I’ll throw in a 5% finders fee. Mine is currently in the home page photo of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    If this is true perhaps you can let them know I have a 15th Anniversary MKIV (one of 15) available for $55k:

This car is fairly famous, having been displayed at several FFR events and winning runner-up, best in show at the HB cruise-in. The build thread has over 250K views on this site.

Last edited by CDXXVII; 05-20-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

49. Likes Kalvin28 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I work in San Francisco and have dealt with some young folks in certain industries that have an extraordinary salary. I’ve seen their lifestyle and could see someone offering an amount for the car not even knowing what it is. Wondering if these offers are from the Tech industry
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

51. Likes Kalvin28 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard Kalvin28. Im looking forward to seeing your videos.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

53. Thanks Kalvin28 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Subscribed too. Hope I don't run out of popcorn, this is going to be good.
    Being Apple and Google peeps I hope you can handle that 427, it's not going to be anything like driving a Prius.

Once you start the build we'll stop razzing you.
    Good luck.
    Well my last fun car was a 700whp 2016 mustang built by my uncles speedshop in San Diego. The cobra will be lighter and a hell of a lot sketchier but I think we’ll manage. After all... it won’t be as fast as a tesla or anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    I work in San Francisco and have dealt with some young folks in certain industries that have an extraordinary salary. I’ve seen their lifestyle and could see someone offering an amount for the car not even knowing what it is. Wondering if these offers are from the Tech industry
    Yep! All offers thus far are from my clients who make 5-10x that a year. Offer to paint it the colors of their former university, engrave their kids names on the valve covers etc etc and suddenly non- car people are ready to drop big $$.

Post Thanks / Like
    A body buck would be much appreciated! I’ll DM you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my last fun car was a 700whp 2016 mustang built by my uncles speedshop in San Diego. The cobra will be lighter and a hell of a lot sketchier but I think we’ll manage. After all... it won’t be as fast as a tesla or anything.
    That's good to hear, yes it will be a lot sketchier.
    You need to start a build thread too.

Our son is living in Evergreen, when I get my 33 done I'll probably drive up there.
    Maybe drop in to see your build too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast