Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Jerrys New Build

Post Thanks / Like

Jerrys New Build

I am just starting. I have the body off and starting the front end. My Lower control arm came with the ball joint welded in. How can I powder coat them now? Any body had the same problem. Bare with me guys I am just staring so I will have a lot of questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Control Arm Powder Coating

Quote Originally Posted by jmccrack View Post
    I am just starting. I have the body off and starting the front end. My Lower control arm came with the ball joint welded in. How can I powder coat them now? Any body had the same problem. Bare with me guys I am just staring so I will have a lot of questions.
    To powder coat my control arms I did the following. 1) Removed grease fitting and rubber boot. 2) Soaked the ball joint end of the control arm in degreaser. 3) Used a blow gun and air to blow all the grease out of the ball joint through the grease fitting hole. 4) Had the control arms powder coated. I was very happy with the results. After powder coating I again used the blow gun and compressor to blow out the ball joint, installed the grease fitting and boot, then greased liberally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbda4 View Post
    To powder coat my control arms I did the following. 1) Removed grease fitting and rubber boot. 2) Soaked the ball joint end of the control arm in degreaser. 3) Used a blow gun and air to blow all the grease out of the ball joint through the grease fitting hole. 4) Had the control arms powder coated. I was very happy with the results. After powder coating I again used the blow gun and compressor to blow out the ball joint, installed the grease fitting and boot, then greased liberally.
    Is the ball joint actually removed?

thnx
    RJ

Post Thanks / Like
    You are just removing the grease so it does not run out and cook when they are in the powder coating oven. I just used a can of brake clean to flush the grease out of mine. Spray, move ball joint around, repeat, repeat, repeat until cleaned out. Ask your powdercoater to mask it off to keep sand out of the joint when they clean/sandblast it.

5. Likes j33ptj liked this post