Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Action's MK4 Coyote - build thread - PNW

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the support! Got a bit of work done today, using up the lumber thats been sitting under my kit. almost finished with the body buck. I still need to put in the cross braces and need to put flat 2x4"s between the stilts and the castors. it barely doesnt clear the body... probably by less than half an inch unfortunately. I think its because i used different plans for the frame dolly than the person did that made the plans for the body buck, and im not smart enough to measure height ahead of time.. oh well, easy fix! My e30 will be out of the garage soon and at a shop as im sick of it and I want to work on my mk4, so hopefully things get rolling again nicely, still gotta put the shelving system / wood in too, dont trust the estimate of 2 hours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to some friends Ive got a bit of work done
    Am I supposed to be using these washers? Got the uppers and lowers on but have 9-10 extra washers here. None of the pictures have washers in the instruction manual. just want to make sure I dont miss anything!
    Also, should I face the double adjustable konis to the front or rear? Would it even make a difference in terms of adjusting?
    Instructions indicated greasing a washer for the adjuster of the konis but my set doesnt have that, so I didnt bother. I hope thats ok. (not too late to take them back apart though)

I now need to do some research on which panels i want to powdercoat find someone to do it.

Last edited by ActionBa5tard; 06-04-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got the spindles installed today.
    I went back and added washers to the bolt and nut sides of the shocks on both sides. I still have 2 spares.
    I also have 2 really large washers that came with the hardware for the spindles but im really not sure where they are supposed to go, can someone offer me guidance?

I also need advice on my steering rack.. the hardware doesn't seem to fit. The rack came with some bushings and sleeves already installed in it... however the bolt provided is way too small, and the sleeves provided wont fit inside the sleeves in the rack to make up for the difference. Did I receive some wrong parts? Or am i overlooking something somewhere?

I wanted to get the steering rack installed so i would have an easier time torquing down the wheel hub nuts

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to push the stock sleeve and bushings out of the steering rack. Then install the newly supplied poly bushings and sleeves. The instruction manual shows the new parts, plus they're on your parts inventory. But doesn't specifically say to push out the stock parts first.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-09-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! easy answer.. When I did inventory I just assumed that the parts were on the rack already, but I guess they were back ordered and arrived in the most recent box that showed up from FF!

Would you be able to advise on the washers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBa5tard View Post
    Would you be able to advise on the washers?
    My guess, just by looking, is those are the washers that optionally may need to go in the lower control arms where they attach to the chassis. Either the front or back tabs (don't remember, sorry) are wider to accommodate donor LCA's, and the instructions say to use the large washers if needed to fill the extra space when using the FF LCA's. But there is some variation in the tabs. You may or may not need them. You also may not need them on both sides. If that's not what they are, I don't know. Sorry.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks ActionBa5tard thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, yeah that makes sense. I had to use one per side, i guess the extras are a 'just in case'
    Thanks as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok long time no see. Ive been slacking on the build, as well as keeping you guys updated on it.
    First things first, i had to take apart lots of my front suspension, as it turns out I put the tie rod connectors on the front wheel hubs backwards, so they would only mount top to bottom rather than the correct bottom to top.
    You cant get these bolts out without either 1) removing the spindle, or 2) disconnecting the lower control arm, and dropping the bottom of the shock. I opted for 2. also those lower control arm ball joints really get in there and required heat and a pickle fork requiring me to replace the grease boots. so that was good fun!

Then it turns out in order to drill and rivet the front F panels, I had to disconnect the upper control arms. Holy moly factory five makes those rear nuts hard to grip, you cant fit a socket on it, and can barely fit a wrench on it, especially when the f panel is installed and you cant get to them from the back. I went in the front with a normal 3/4 wrenchd and puuuuushed while i torqued them back down.

This was my first trip to the powdercoaters. Its going to turn out pretty expensive, but I guess for my location I cant get a better price without going much further away. I went with Evo Grey powder, and it matches the frame pretty closely. I didn't want black, and definitely not gloss, so I think these guys turned out pretty well!

In the mean time, i wired up all 4 wilwood rotors, got pretty good at it! It didnt end up "perfect" but more than enough for this build!

and got the front ones installed with the calipers

This big boy showed up from Forte

I know everyone says this, but its huge!!! It definitely kicked my *** into line, and is giving me more motivation to get out in the garage and work on this thing!
    I ordered the T56 with it, but didnt know it was going to come in a magnum case (?) I asked on facebook, and lots of people had differing opinions on fitment. Some people said it would not work at all, some people said it worked fine, and others said it fit with modification to the center brace and ebrake handle. I guess we will have to wait and see until i try a test fit... Maybe you guys can offer me some advice here. I think I will for sure need to get a different driveshaft then the one sent by Factory Five. Guess i should have made up my mind on the trans sooner.

I did a bit of drilling and fitting panels together and took these bits and pieces to the powder coater, they only got about half done before they ran out of powder (I told them it was gonna be like 40 pieces so im kinda bummed about this) But I made sure they ordered enough powder for next time. I should get these back on friday and installed by Saturday.

Next up is cutting the spindles. and installing the IRS Diff

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if these things come with oil in them? The rear cover is sealed, and it looks like the bolts on the back of it are red locktited in. It also came shipped in a plastic bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBa5tard View Post
    Does anyone know if these things come with oil in them? The rear cover is sealed, and it looks like the bolts on the back of it are red locktited in. It also came shipped in a plastic bag.
    General consensus is they come from Ford Performance already filled. But don't assume anything. Those plugs have thread sealant, not Loctite. Easy enough to get the top one out and check the fluid level. Should be just below the top port with the diff level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed with mike forte, if he ships it freight it should come full, if he ships fedex, he drains it. Im going to check it but im going to mount it first. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you go for powder coating? i was also surprised by the high price when I shopped my parts around.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unsure if im allowed to post the name of a shop, so im going to DM you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12