Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Older engines

Post Thanks / Like

Older engines

I'm just lurking out here reading boards and doing some dreaming. I posted this same question on the '33 roadster page but thought I would ask it here too, since I'm interested in the truck kit. What is the oldest engine someone has used in one of these kits or planning on using? Just asking because I want to use an older 289 with a c4, only because I already have a short block.
    Just curious, lets see some pics of older or unique engines or any plans to use something odd. (not that a 289 is odd but you get my point)

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The HR that got my attention was the one with Henry's flat head V-8. Not sure which Flathead flavor, but, I doubt anyone has done an older flat head 4 cylinder. Can't remember the builder, but, photos are in some of the older 33 FFR literature. A 289 with C4 is a good choice. My engine is a 1955 291 Desoto Hemi.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that the block is date coded from '64 and it is a 5 bolt pattern for the bellhousing. Not sure what it came out off, but it was black and gold, so that is what I planned going with in the truck.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jwheels,

Any driveline you choose to do will be cool because you will be building your dream ride so I say Go-For-It!

Being one of the few "Dark Dart Side Guys" my MK-4 is powered by a 383 Dart/SBC, but I really love the 33 and would want to build one after I walk my youngest daughter down the aisle and see my son graduate from college.

With that said I'd really like to build a 33 HR that would be powered by a 400 Pontiac with a tri-power set up sitting in front of a Turbo 400 transmission. The reason why that would be my choice for another alternatively powered Factory Five Hot Rod is because that's what Hot Rodding is all about. The next piece to the Pontiac Puzzle is the fact that my Favorite Car Part Hording Cousin has three Ram Air-3 Poncho's sitting in his garage and only one car to put them in so it makes finding the driveline an easy trip over to Lafayette Louisiana to grab one.

Dark Side MK-4 Project Shown Below:

Original "Failed Leaky Block" Chevy SBC
    Internals Moved To New Block
    https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Recently Installed Dart SBC Block

Upgraded With A Hydraulic Roller Cam
    https://youtu.be/NhRHwAbtrt0

Just understand that if you choose to go off the supported driveline options from Factory Five Racing then you will be on your own to make things work, but if you have the skill or support team to assist you then you will be A-Okay!

If you have an engine/driveline that you want to use, then use it & you won't go wrong!

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-04-2018 at 02:36 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got to echo what Steve said -- any driveline you chose will be cool so go with what makes you happy. However, be advised that the further off the reservation you go the more time and $$ you'll spend. Of course using SBF is not unique and so not a departure from common engine choices for these cars.

Now if you plan on using that engine and trans you have to save $$ and it needs to be overhauled; I suggest you look at cost to overhaul it closer and then compare it to the cost of a crate engine that comes with a warranty. Build a spreadsheet with a list of all the parts (every little gasket and item -- not just the big stuff), tools, and machine work required and add 15% contingency for unknowns and you may be surprised at the cost to overhaul an old engine. This exercise is both enlightening and if you choose to overhaul your own, it's a bill of materials you'll need anyway. I have the skill, experience, and special tools to build engines and can no longer roll my own for less than the cost of a crate engine. Crate engines are plentiful now days and the cost for a quality built motor is so much lower now that it makes them an easy choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the trans as of right now but would buy a rebuilt one or get it rebuilt. The block has already been hot tanked, line bored and honed it was also assembled a couple of years ago, would need reassembled before installed to freshen up the assembly lube and check gaskets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    The HR that got my attention was the one with Henry's flat head V-8. Not sure which Flathead flavor, but, I doubt anyone has done an older flat head 4 cylinder. Can't remember the builder, but, photos are in some of the older 33 FFR literature. A 289 with C4 is a good choice. My engine is a 1955 291 Desoto Hemi.
    DSCF1202.JPG 2010 I think, Cobra show in ohio
    Last edited by KenWilkinson; 11-04-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add

8. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your 5 bolt bell housing suggests that your engine is a VERY early 289, possibly a 260 ('64 date code). Might be [a bit] difficult to find a bell housing for that block, most later 289's are 6 bolt.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    They make bellhousings for c4's, already checked and it is a 289 already checked that too. The housing is expensive $250 but it is available. Remember all I have is the short block at this time so lots of things to happen first, like getting the money together.
    Last edited by Jwheels; 11-04-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the flat head in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if a 5.4 would fit in one of these. I have a 99 F250 with 160k on the clock,

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to find a V-8 flat head ford with an old 4 speed or a old automatic transmission like Ken posted in #7

Post Thanks / Like
    The flathead would be great, I'm just not sure how much they might cost to get one or rebuild it. Then where to find a good one is another question all together.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build