Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Winter Projects

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Winter Projects

I have three projects I'm working on.
    I'm almost done installing the APE hardtop now even though I really like the design of the hard top Mike Forte is considering bring to the US from England. But currently it's for a Mark IV so I'm pushing on with the top I have.
    hardtop (2).jpg

Now for the Second project
    This past weekend I drove to pick up the project in Albany, NY and it looks like it was never used.
    it's a;
    dualcarbs.jpg
    All Edelbrock. I have the linkage and an upgrade to electric choke - which is still in the Edelbrock package. I'll use my Cobra air cleaner with the dual car bottom plate. This will give me a inch lower to allow it all to fit under the body. I'm still considering using a cable or linkage for the throttle. I built my car originally by the book. Started with an EFI stock 5.0L, then added aluminum heads, super charger, followed by a carb on a 347 engine I built. Now I get to try a dual carb setup. Will I like it - we'll wait to see.
    And my final project is;
    My wife really, REALLY, does not like the red stripes on the fender. They were put there to cover up the deer slayer's encounter at 70 mph on the interstate with a deer. Sorry but the deer lost but the car took the hit and kept on running! So as most of us know if the wife says she wants it fixed, we just have to do it ! I was looking for a shop I could drive to and wait for it to be fixed. It's SO hard to part with the keys! Crazy but it is. I was considering doing it myself so have been reading up on what to use to repair the body.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    That should keep you busy. Like the dual carb set up. Keep us posted.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some DIY paint repair. Spent a ton of time on it. It is one of those 50/50 jobs. How about another color tape? Serious. My first set of numbers were done on a white disc back round (all static cling vinyl). My wife hated them. So I cut the white back round away and just used the numbers themselves. That got her OK and 9 years later, I think she was right.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ya know I might try that - with white tape and see if that works, for now. Good idea!
    Ralph Button

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Ralph, keep us posted. I’m likely in the minority but I prefer that style of top. We’re retiring and moving to Tennessee soon, and I’ve thought about that top and old style side curtains for the winter, I know it’s not winter like you have, but close enough for me ��

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a top is one of the best things I did w/ my FFR. It really opens up possible drives. You know, going to lunch, 40% chance of rain, which car to drive? W/ a top, you take the FFR. Tomorrow it will only be 35deg but I haven't had the car our in 3-4 weeks. I am going!!!!!!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Having a top is one of the best things I did w/ my FFR.
    I agree, we have the premium soft top, which has allowed us to take several multi day trips, many with significant rain. It works well. The only drawback is the zip in side curtains, which make it bit inconvenient to get in and out of the car. Not a real problem on a long trip, but frequent stops become tedious. Led me to think about a top and regular door mounted side curtains for those lunch runs.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After hours of measuring and being sure I have the right placement of the front Whitby channels into the APE hard top, we'll be doing a trial fitting this weekend.
    added windscreen channel.jpg close up.jpg
    For now I'm using some Button head screws (pun intended) to fasten the channel into the hardtop. I had planned on using a epoxy glue used for body repairs but the screws allow me to make adjustments to the placement of the channel if needed.

The dual quads also have their own set of issues! The progressive linkage was messed up, which is why I suspect that the other person got rid of the setup. I called Edelbrock and got the documentation for the carbs, part numbers, install instructions, etc. On the bench I have the carbs working with no binding and the throttle plates opening progressively. Then I added an electric choke to the carb. I have been setting up the throttle linkage to work with my cable setup.
    add electric choke.jpg current carb setup.jpg carb linkage.jpg
    In order to use my current cable, I had to find a way to use my current cable to operate the throttles (middle pic is my current carb setup). Looking at the current setup - a very smooth curve in the cable - On the new dual quad setup added a L bracket to the rear carb. The rear carb is designed to be the primary carb in Edelbrock's setup. It also works well as the primary throttle plates are approx. centered on the intake. I'll insert the throttle cable sleeve into the L bracket much like my existing carb setup.

And the last step, I have to switch out the large diameter cap distributor to a smaller diameter cap distributor.

new distributor.jpg

So like most activities there are all the "extra" costs to do a "simple" carb upgrade!
    Last edited by R. Button; 01-24-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    Ralph Button

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Been working - mostly at night and some weekends changing from a single carb to a dual carb. That's the easy part - putting the intake and carb on the engine. Next came, the distributor issue. My current distributor will not fit as the new dual carbs came more forward and now the distributor cap was too large around. First choice was a new distributor MSD - but then I would need to rewire the distributor for an MSD ignition box. MSD also have some distributors that just need to hook directly to the coil. But I figured out that I could remove the large cab adaptor and IF I could then find a cap and rotor to fit I could, for now, keep my duraspark ignition box. Not hard, just hours of work trying to find a distributor cap - 1976 Bronco 5.0l

Next up is the front carb interference with the passenger side valve cover. So off comes the Ford valve covers and I have new stamped steel, tall valve covers ordered.

Not to be out done, the throttle linkage cable, while it sort of works the switch over from the single carb to the dual carb system requires a longer cable. Instead of attaching the throttle cable to a carb, about in the middle of the two carbs, I now need to attach it to the rear carb. So instead of a 24" cable I now need a 36" cable that I can cut down. I usually solder the inner cable where I need to cut it, to keep it from unraveling when the inner cable is cut to length.

Last of my parts to arrive tomorrow and then I'll begin the tuning process.

20190124_085059.jpg 20190210_134047.jpg
    Ralph Button

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I am saying do even more work but...trash the cable and do a linkage. Forte has a kit and there are a couple of parts lists floating here or other forum if you want to do it yourself. I did the DIY version on my MkII before Forte had his available. I had a well sorted cable setup and replaced it w/ linkage. My first drive was just around one block and back to the garage. I hadn't changed the carb return spring and the reduced drag of the linkage made the gas pedal so light it was almost impossible to drive. You will be amazed.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had been thinking about Forte's throttle linkage. On the Mark I's the space on the driver side in the engine compartment is so tight I was not sure I could I could install the linkage unless I pulled the engine.
    Ralph Button