Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote MAF Location/Orientation

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote MAF Location/Orientation

Coyote Installers.

Looking for some input on the orientation/location of the MAF on the intake tube.

If I look at the set-up on a Mustang (example attached) it looks like it should be clocked on the side opposite the engine (would prefer to tuck it away on the bottom/back of the intake tube if possible).

Thoughts ?

Mustrang MAF.jpg
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using one of the Factory Five recommended CAI setups? Their instructions list Spectre and Treadstone Performance. Either are good choices. In both cases the actual location of the MAF sensor is dictated by the MAF tube. It's generally recommended to clock the tube so the sensor is on the outside of the curve. For the setup in the Roadster, that puts the MAF sensor pointing roughly toward the front of engine compartment. I don't know how critical it is, but I followed these recommendations with mine and it seems to work fine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there are some things you just take on faith. I still can't understand why it makes a difference which way you put the MAF sensor, but I followed the advice and put mine in as Paul identified. Initially, I had mine on the inside of the curve, and it worked fine there, too. I did have a starting problem which is why I moved it to the recommended location, but as it turns out, my start problem was fuel related, not because of the MAF sensor.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I guess there are some things you just take on faith. I still can't understand why it makes a difference which way you put the MAF sensor, but I followed the advice and put mine in as Paul identified. Initially, I had mine on the inside of the curve, and it worked fine there, too. I did have a starting problem which is why I moved it to the recommended location, but as it turns out, my start problem was fuel related, not because of the MAF sensor.
    Air will put more pressure and flow velocity on the outside of the elbow. Inside the elbow can give it a lower than actual reading due to the decrease in pressure at the turn, lower readings thinks its less air entering therefore cutting fuel flow and possible lean condition.

Disclaimer: this may or may not be true for air but that's how we measure liquid flow here at work.
    If in doubt......flat out-Colin McRae

Coupe #485

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe TNcoupe is correct. One of our guys was having some issues & they went away when the tube was rotated to put the sensor at the front.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcoupe View Post
    Air will put more pressure and flow velocity on the outside of the elbow. Inside the elbow can give it a lower than actual reading due to the decrease in pressure at the turn, lower readings thinks its less air entering therefore cutting fuel flow and possible lean condition.

Disclaimer: this may or may not be true for air but that's how we measure liquid flow here at work.
    While this wasn't my thread to begin with, I do appreciate the answer!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using one of the Factory Five recommended CAI setups? Their instructions list Spectre and Treadstone Performance
    Yes, running a Spectra CAI.

Thanks all for the responses and background. Make sense. My plan was to mount the sensor in the front, although I was hoping to tuck it away on the bottom to make it look pretty

Function over fashion.

Thanks again
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods