BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What happens when I need to tow my Coupe?

Post Thanks / Like

What happens when I need to tow my Coupe?

I have always wondered how one might get my Gen 3 coupe onto a flatbed towtruck in the event that it need to be towed. Winching from the rear seems better because there is more access to the frame, but would the radiator and front of the frame drag on the ground? The detail pics of the SEMA build for sale show what happens when you strap the frame from the front and winch up a ramp. At least that seems to be what happened. I don't see a good opportunity for a towhook on the front end. The radiator sits so low and covers all access to the front of the frame. I thought of a piece if steel that extends from the lower part of the frame where the radiator sits so that when winched from the rear, the radiator won't get raked. I am interested in others thoughts.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    An experienced driver/operator shouldn't have a problem with it. Yes, it's low in the front but so are lots of other specialty cars they deal with. Likely they would pull it from the LCA's by the lower ball joint. That's how they hooked my Roadster when I had to have it towed. The guy lead me to believe that's very common. He didn't use the tie-down's on the frame because he said they were too high and the straps would push against the bottom of the body. If the approach angle is too sharp, they carry wood planks or ramps to help. Backwards is an option too I guess.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several people including me have added a tow hook to the front of the coupe from the x member through the aluminum in the radiator opening. That way they can winch from above the nose.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
    Several people including me have added a tow hook to the front of the coupe from the x member through the aluminum in the radiator opening. That way they can winch from above the nose.
    Interesting. So I guess that hook is in plain view in the radiator tunnel.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    Interesting. So I guess that hook is in plain view in the radiator tunnel.
    Perhaps a tow eye, that threads into a point on the frame, the hole for which a grommet could fill when not in use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also tricky.
    Strapping the car in a trailer. I don't prefer to go through the wheels. The rear is easy. This last time I did it I crossed the straps using the front sway bar frame mount location right where it bolts to the frame.

My car is even worse. I have the front air dam and splitter. the last time I went to the track they had made a rule that all cars had to have tow hooks to get on track. For most people it was a matter of simply threading it on. Mine was not so simple. I got a waiver. This winter I'll figure something out. Likely a temporary bolt on stud solution like most modern cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forcefed1 View Post
    Also tricky.
    Strapping the car in a trailer. I don't prefer to go through the wheels. The rear is easy. This last time I did it I crossed the straps using the front sway bar frame mount location right where it bolts to the frame.

My car is even worse. I have the front air dam and splitter. the last time I went to the track they had made a rule that all cars had to have tow hooks to get on track. For most people it was a matter of simply threading it on. Mine was not so simple. I got a waiver. This winter I'll figure something out. Likely a temporary bolt on stud solution like most modern cars.
    I like the idea of using a grommet when the bolt is not in place. The frame at the radiator tunnel is at an angle which is not ideal.